Going to failure on last sets??

Spyke

What would be the pros and cons of taking the last set of the final 15, 10 and 5's to failure? Even if it means puming out an extra rep or 2 on the last set. I know going to failure all the time will cause OT but this would only be 3 times for each excersise per cycle....

Any thoughts?

Hi there,
I am in my 5's on a cycle where each macrocycle is extended until we, perhaps not hit failure, but come very close to it. The next macrocycles weights are calculated from the new found maximums. I'm no expert but I'm happy with the gains so far in. I've also dropped isolation exercises for the 5's. Experiment.
Cheers,
Jazzer :)

jazzer, how does your exercise selection look? I too dropped isolations, but I quit them after day 1 of the 10's - I am all about compounds! (except for an exercise like calf raises)

Hi colby2152,
if I've got you right with the skeleton thing I do a straight 3 times a week.
B/o row
Pulldown
Bench press
Shoulder press
Shrug (not in the 5's)
Skullcrusher (not in the 5's)
Curls (not in the 5's)
DB rear delts
I do 1 set of all for 15's, 2 for 10's and 3 for 5's in the above order. I left out legs on this cycle due to not having much time but will do them next cycle.
I know the rear delt exercise is isolation but I feel I need the extra work there.
Cheers,
Jazzer :)

Going to failure once in two weeks isn't that terrible, especially given the fact that next thing you'll be starting a new rep range with relatively "easy" weights. Of course it depends on myriads of other factors, but I feel that most people can handle it once in a while, without this hampering their gains. It's a good way to retest your maxes and can have benefits strength-wise, if done on a regular basis.

Also check the other thread about training to failure, there are tons of information to be found there and really knowledgeable people have participated.

Cheers,
Dimitris

I prefer to go to failure on the last day of my microcycles. This way you can push yourself and really know where you stand. And like 9to5 said that monday is pretty light weight which allows me to recover properly.

Joe G

That's a good plan.
It would be important to note it's not just about having some time to recover, but as (or more) important are nutritional factors (pre workout, in particular). In this case, taking in BCAA's is a good idea. Not for mega muscle growth, but simply to help out against CNS fatigue when taking it to the limit.
For well-fed people (most of us I assume), go ahead. With time to recover, going to failure purposely every once in a while is no monster.

If we're talking solely about preventing CNS fatige c/o the underlying mechanics, doesn't matter. Only BCAA's are what matters - whether you take them from whey or from BCAA supplements.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joe G @ Oct. 21 2005,7:05)]I prefer to go to failure on the last day of my microcycles. This way you can push yourself and really know where you stand. And like 9to5 said that monday is pretty light weight which allows me to recover properly.
Joe G
I think this is actually a good idea and is sort of similar to something Dan has suggested in the past, which is to use the last day of each microcycle to find out what your RM for that rep range is. That way when you plan your next cycle, you already know what your RMs are and don't need to retest.

Yeah, except that that would probably never be accurate at all if the training goes well. For example, your 15RM can still improve even after you test it on your last 15RM day due to hypertrophy from 10's, 5's and negs. You get the idea.

Anyway, go to failure or not, the little few reps won't make that much of a difference at all. Go to failure. Or not. In the end, you'll still be a huge mass of rippling muscles as long as you keep it up with the training.

Back