Growing arms over 18"

Omega_man

Hello,
Do most feel that HST & compounds are the way to keep the arms growing. Is there another method (iso's, or otherwise) that could/should be combined to exceed this mark. Anyone with personal experience using HST (or other) to get past 18 inches?

Thx for any input,
Omega

the pimp my hst article talks about adding iso's to hst. ive only skimmed through it though. I will pimp mine when i finish my first cycle.

People on this forum will debate the importance of isolations. It seems that the longer you have been doing HST, the less you do them. IMO, the only important isolations are shrugs, calf raises, and ab work.

If you load up heavy on compounds and do enough sets, the significance of an isolation exercise such as skullcrushers or barbell curls will be lessened. How many reps will you actually be able to do? At this point, you may be overworking your arms or hitting fatigure. If you are able to do a complete set or two, then you didn't workout hard enough with the compounds.

In regards to that thinking, Fausto came up with an isolations on your off days type of cycle. I dub it "Faustonian." It involves doing isolation workouts on "off" days such as Tuesday and Thursday on the standard MWF workout schedule where you would do compounds only.

My past two cycles were of this type. Albeit a cutting process, people - specifically girls - have pointed out about my arms getting bigger. I suppose it worked out. I recall it went pretty well for Fausto too. I won't do a cycle like that again till the winter time when I will be on a decent bulk and truely see if it works better than a standard cycle.

Sorry for the tangent...

My feelings about this have changed. Why not do a 6x/week or 12x(am-pm split)/week cycle of only compounds? Wouldn't this be better for overall hypertrophy? OR - is this approaching the point of overtraining? If you read the Pimp My HST e-book, it is pointed out that 12x/week is the best if you can manage it correctly.

I'll stop there and wait for the replies.

In 11 months, what I thought the best way to workout has totally changed. I have this forum to thank for it.

-Colby

Colby is right this forum is the best.

The thing about HST is that it works...it works well and sometimes we push it to the max as Colby was saying 12x week routine. It may work for you it may not...I would say its for the more conditioned advance lifter...IMO.

I have found the best way to make mass gains is 3 times a week HST.

Then up the frequency like Colby is doing....works well for cutting.

dont get me wrong you can do it to bulk, but you better have lots of 3 things....Food, Time and recovery!

Hi,
I only ever do compounds until the 5's where I might do a set or 2 of arm iso's here and there.
I broke my arm in a motorcycle accident a couple of years back which made arm isos uncomfortable with any decent load.
I have learnt since then that I could hit my arms well enough with heavy compounds. I do not feel that my arms have lagged behind because of this. If anything I feel my upper arms have benefited from it.
JaZ
smile.gif

Answering your other question,
I have'nt got there yet but I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I will reach 18" using HST and decent diet principles.
Cheers,
JaZ
smile.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 05 2006,20:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In my opinion, you are going to need drugs to get much beyond 18 inches.</div>
Put some Tussin on it!

Hello again,

Thx for all the valuable input. It sounds like I will stick to HST &amp; possibly try some &quot;pimped&quot; variables later. I am just finishing my first cycle &amp; have gained some weight &amp; put maybe about 1/8&quot; on my arms. Since drugs are NOT an option, I'll need to see if HST can produce consistent results in future cycles. I guess it depends on if I'm near my genetic limit.

Omega

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 05 2006,20:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In my opinion, you are going to need drugs to get much beyond 18 inches.</div>
18 inches are a lot for a naturall guy, i agree with totentanz if you are not an ABSOLUT genetically freak !

One article I read stated that it takes approx 15 lbs of increased LBM to add 1&quot; to your arms. Based on personal experience, it seems like a good estimate.

One article I read stated that it takes approx 15 lbs of increased LBM to add 1&quot; to your arms. Based on personal experience, going from 13.5 to 17&quot;, it seems like a good estimate.

Yeah, and that kind of size isn't possible naturally unless you are either on drugs, over 6'4 or gaining a lot of fat alongside the lean mass.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you read the Pimp My HST e-book, it is pointed out that 12x/week is the best if you can manage it correctly.</div>

I doubt you'll see any real difference in size between 12x a week and lesser frequencies.

<div>
(Totentanz @ May 06 2006,21:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, and that kind of size isn't possible naturally unless you are either on drugs, over 6'4 or gaining a lot of fat alongside the lean mass.</div>
Actually, I think the taller guys have it harder. I am 6'2&quot; and have pretty long arms. My biceps are 17&quot; flexed thanks to HST but I don't really look all that big. Sometimes when I wear a tank top they look skinny at certain angles.

Now if I was 5'9&quot; with 17&quot; biceps I would look pretty impressive. I really think I would have to get up to 19&quot; to look &quot;big&quot;

<div>
(Conciliator @ May 06 2006,16:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One article I read stated that it takes approx 15 lbs of increased LBM to add 1&quot; to your arms. Based on personal experience, it seems like a good estimate.</div>
i believe this estimate also,unless you just train your Arms lol.

looking over my progress over the years it would hold true that having gained around 35-40lbs lbm i also gained 2 1/2 inches on my arms.never thought about it that way before.

<div>
(Spyke @ May 06 2006,23:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, I think the taller guys have it harder. I am 6'2&quot; and have pretty long arms. My biceps are 17&quot; flexed thanks to HST but I don't really look all that big. Sometimes when I wear a tank top they look skinny at certain angles.

Now if I was 5'9&quot; with 17&quot; biceps I would look pretty impressive. I really think I would have to get up to 19&quot; to look &quot;big&quot;</div>
I was referring to getting to 240 lbs. But I know what you mean. I'm 6'1 and getting enough mass to actually look big is a bit of a struggle. I know of a guy who is 6'6 and 250 lbs, but he doesn't look very muscular at all.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I doubt you'll see any real difference in size between 12x a week and lesser frequencies.</div>

Style, it's all about your diet in respect to your training. High frequency with plenty of food = better gains - but you gotta eat. High frequency is really useful for cutting since you can still eat a lot but lose the gut.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually, I think the taller guys have it harder. I am 6'2&quot; and have pretty long arms. My biceps are 17&quot; flexed thanks to HST but I don't really look all that big. Sometimes when I wear a tank top they look skinny at certain angles.</div>

I definitely agree with that. It's all relative, which is one bad thing for a taller guy I suppose.

Back