Has anyone read/know anything about the book "The Ultimate Diet 2.0?"

Dvst8or

Been doing research online about diets and this book seems really intriguing to me. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with it before I drop the $40 to buy it.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Brian,

I have owned UD2 for a few years now, read it front to back twice now, experimented with implementing it for various lengths. Unless you are 18 and on steroids it is overkill for anything more than 2 weeks. The diet and exercise regimen are great for a 2 week carb depletion + peak for a show. But to stay on it for more time than that is not necessary or healthy.

Lyle M. is a bright guy, but grossly overtrains himself and others. No offense, but he barely looks like he trains, IMHO precisely because of his methods. Old n Grey and others mentioned this in another recent thread. As an ex LSU defensive back, I know the difference between good coaches vs good players, so am not making deference to this individual's lack of genetics. If you read his other books and website, during his competitive years, he was skating 5+ hours per day, which is absurd.

Check out Clarence Bass' site at
http://www.cbass.com/

At over 70 years old, the dude peaks at 2% bodyfat, stays under 4% all year long. He has many books that cover his diet strategy in great detail.
I am an old dude now, with a thyroid condition, and still keep my fat at 9% or so all year.

Another approach is the paleo crowd, which does produce fat loss, but be very careful. Without adequate carbs, you lose muscle too. Also, stay with organic, grass fed meat as much as you reasonably can. The mainstream stuff at the grocer and restaurants is awful.

Regardless of what approach you take, eat tons of vegetables and a good amount of fruit!

HTH
Dean

Thank you, Dean. I followed your link and perused the website. It looked interesting enough for me to give them a call to order Mr. Bass's new book, Great Expectations.

Mr. Bass himself answered the phone, and I was able to spend a few minutes talking with him. I can only hope that I look half so good at age 70 (I'm 65 now, so I've got my work cut out for me).

I did Lyle's UD2.0 for about 10 weeks on the trot (maybe a bit longer). I wasn't on roids and I certainly wasn't 18! :)
It was a tough program which, I now feel, included rather more lifting than was probably necessary to achieve the results I got—which weren't bad, by any means. I got down to a similar bodyweight again recently doing very little in the way of training. I did lose a bit more muscle than when doing UD2.0 but it was a walk in the park in comparison.

FYI, here's a link to my old log when I started on UD2.0 (warning: it's a long log!):

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.inf...rd.cgi?act=ST&f=19&t=13864&st=700#entry144470

Tot,

Bass is the first to admit that once levels get that low it is very hard to get accurate readings, short of a BodPod. Never the less, for relative measurements, calipers and water weighing are at least consistent. He is very lean.

During my LSU years, we got water weighed and calipered every off season, I was a consistent 8%. It seems to roughly correlate with my tanita scale, which is what Bass uses now.

HTH
Dean

Well if you are using methods that are hard to get an accurate reading, then I see little reason in claiming bodyfat levels that are not humanly possible. Why not just say "sub 5%" or something along those lines instead of stating a bodyfat percentage that would result in hospitalization or death if it were actually accurate?

Anyway, I agree that bodyfat percentage really isn't that important anyway and he probably just put 2% on there to help sell his product. What is important is that you use the same method to measure it over time so that you can accurately gauge progress.

FWIW, I have also done extended UD2.0 runs in the past without steroids and with the results promised by the book. It is something I would recommend to someone trying to get to a very low bodyfat and struggling with it, but it's probably not something I would enjoy doing again any time soon, since I can achieve similar results for myself with IF. But I don't bother getting too far under 10% bodyfat anyway.

FWIW, I have also done extended UD2.0 runs in the past without steroids and with the results promised by the book. It is something I would recommend to someone trying to get to a very low bodyfat and struggling with it, but it's probably not something I would enjoy doing again any time soon, since I can achieve similar results for myself with IF. But I don't bother getting too far under 10% bodyfat anyway.

What is IF?

the usual stuff mate, eat asap when u wake up to break the fast and kickstart your metabolism, give your body a constant supply of food throughout the day to keep u in the most anabolic state possible ( Irealise u won't go catabolic if u don't eat every few hrs!) and avoid blood sugar crashes and food binges!

Eating several meals throughout the day does nothing for the metabolism. The metabolism is effected by longer term changes in diet, so if you are in a calorie deficit for a longer period (weeks/months) then eventually it slows down and weight loss can stall. But just sleeping won't lower your metabolism. There have been studies done seeing if meal frequency does anything when calories are the same and they concluded that it does not. In fact, there was some suggestion by their results that eating all your calories in one meal might be slightly superior, but overall they concluded that it does not matter how many meals you eat or how frequently, only how many calories.

Back