Have you reached these goals?

<div>
(davidwillis @ Dec. 15 2006,19:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now I am 150 lbs, and don't know my max bench, but with dumbbells I can only do about 60 lbs each (120 total).  That would put me to un-trained
sad.gif
 I guess that is what happens when you don't lift for 15 years.</div>
Don't despair David. Most folks lift substantially less with dbs than with a bb. The figures for bench are definitely for a bb.

Stevejones: I think Lamar Gant is the world record deadlifter, only one to do 5x bodyweight. He's not a midget, but he's supposed to have scoliolsis (I know that's spelled wrong) and his range of motion is ridiculously short. At the top of the lift the bar is just above the knee.

lamar_dl.jpg

<div>
(liegelord @ Dec. 16 2006,01:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Stevejones: I think Lamar Gant is the world record deadlifter, only one to do 5x bodyweight.  He's not a midget, but he's supposed to have scoliolsis (I know that's spelled wrong) and his range of motion is ridiculously short.  At the top of the lift the bar is just above the knee.

lamar_dl.jpg
</div>
woah !!!!

lol, awesome pic...look at those arms man...all the way down to his KNEES !

<div>
(liegelord @ Dec. 16 2006,06:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Stevejones: I think Lamar Gant is the world record deadlifter, only one to do 5x bodyweight.  He's not a midget, but he's supposed to have scoliolsis (I know that's spelled wrong) and his range of motion is ridiculously short.  At the top of the lift the bar is just above the knee.</div>
Unbelievable! I was most interested to hear that Lamar suffered from scoliosis as my ex had it to a degree. She always assumed that it would be dangerous to lift anything due to her condition. No way it was as severe as Lamar's though.

I've done a bit more research and passed on the info to her. Seems Lamar is not the only scoliosis sufferer to do really well at lifting.

Check out this pic from the front. You can really see the effect of soliosis (apart from the reduction in height):

Lamar

I set new goals based on my current strength levels and how far I think I can progress this year. My new goals are as follows to hit BEFORE 2008.

(ALL lifts are 1rm with no equipment but a belt)

Squat (ATG)- 400 lb.s
Deadlift- 500 lb.s
Bench Press- 325 lb.s
Pendlay Row- 285 lb.s
Standing Press- 250 lb.s

I am currently about 6' tall, 195 lb.s I imagine I will be around 220 when I hit these lifts.

Great goals Sci. Look forward to your log in the soon-to-be log section. I will do the same if it appears.

One of the reasons I want to work on my grip strength is so I can still get my max deadlifts without the need for straps. In order to pull 500lbs I am going to need a really strong grip. I think it was in Rippetoe's SS book that he talks about how your brain will not allow a full effort when deadlifting if your grip can't cope? I don't want that to happen in my case.

Thats interesting Lol. I wonder, does the brain no know that when using straps, you have no grip impediment?
If that sounds sarcastic, it's not. A valid question, to be sure.
Good luck on your goals, Sci. They're almost the same as mine, excepting for the standing overhead press, as I do them freeweight. I begin to wonder if I'll make mine, since the effort that 405 lb. dead took me to do! But you're a lot younger; I have faith in ya!

bench press- nope, but not too far off
squat- see bench press
dips- yes
chins- yes
deadlift- yes for 2X, not close for 2.5X

Back