Have you reached these goals?

Franko

I was reading in another post about these strength goals...

Targets to achieve before you start changing things:

Bench - 1.5 x Body weight
Dips - Body weight + 30 Kgs
Chins - Same as Dips
Squats - 2 x Body weight
Deadlifts - At least twice, 2.5 is one hell of a target.

First off, I'm assuming these are 1rep maxes, right?

I'm 24 years old and have been training since 16 granted until recently I wasn't really doing anything that effective.

Personally, the only goal I've achieved is for Dips, and pretty close for Chins.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has hit all 5 of these benchmarks...if so congrats, you must be pretty jacked.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bench - 1.5 x Body weight
Dips - Body weight + 30 Kgs
Chins - Same as Dips
Squats - 2 x Body weight
Deadlifts - At least twice, 2.5 is one hell of a target.

First off, I'm assuming these are 1rep maxes, right?</div>

I would assume they are 1RM too.

I passed my goals for dips and chins while I am behind on the big lifts.
rock.gif

Yes, 1 RM. I've hit deads and chins, just about there for dips. Bench... uh, not very close. Squats, maybe by summer.

So that means I have these weightlifting classifications for the following exercises:

Bench Press - Novice
Squats - Novice
Deadlifts - &quot;Untrained Novice&quot;
Military Press (Press) - &quot;Untrained Novice&quot;

BOOOOOO

I've hit those goals except for barely making the bench - but I don't TRAIN bench, save for incline d/b's. And deads? I'm just starting them, but I may never push my back that far. 1.5 is far enough in my book.

<div>
(Franko @ Dec. 13 2006,13:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I found these over at enrx too. I'm not sure where the others are from.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

These are some pretty lofty goals...</div>
Stuff like this makes me feel like I've actually done ****.

Press - Just over advanced
Bench - Just over advanced
Squat - Right AT advanced (with a wide stance, though, but still raw)
Deadlift - Between advanced and elite

Hooray!

As to the first poster, I've hit all of those standards.

Bench - maybe for 1RM but probably a bit under? Off bench right now though whilst AC joint heals.
Dips - yup, easily
Chins - yup, but not so easily!
Squats - not yet. Haven't ever tested 1RM though. Probably 1.75 right now. I'm assuming we're all talking ATG here?
Deadlifts - yup to 2 x, nope to 2.5 x. Still a way to go to get to around 540lbs. Maybe next year (ie. 2008)?

Bench - probably not.
Dips - yup
Chins -yup
Squats - not yet
Deads - yup

isnt it funny how everyone (almost) is killing at dips but lagging on bench. Always preferred dips anyway. Tried bench the other day - didnt like it much.

Did some hefty squats aswell after not doing them for a while (lack of weight at home. Just joined a gym). Man my legs were out of action for a week - them doms are a killer!

I'm just under 6' 3&quot;, weight 210lbs

Maxes
Bench 310 lbs
Squat 315 lbs
DeadLift 440lbs
Dip ?? I've gone as heavy as B/W + 66lbs for 6 reps

My upper body strength has always been a lot greater proportionally to my lower body strength - tall man syndrome.

Bench - 1.39 x Body weight
Dips - Havent tried maxing but I know I can do at least 20 kg (40-ish pounds)
Chins - Havent tried but at least 10 kg (20-ish pounds)
Squats - 1.81 x Body weight
Deadlifts - 2.17 x Body weight

So I am not too far away from those numbers
biggrin.gif

<div>
(rpopple @ Dec. 14 2006,07:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm just under 6' 3&quot;, weight 210lbs

Maxes
Bench 310 lbs
Squat 315 lbs
DeadLift 440lbs
Dip ?? I've gone as heavy as B/W + 66lbs for 6 reps

My upper body strength has always been a lot greater proportionally to my lower body strength - tall man syndrome.</div>
What I don't like about these charts which are supposed to measure your strength, is that they don't take height into consideration. To me there is a huge difference between a 6'3&quot; 210 lb guy benching 310 and a 5'6&quot; 210 lb guy benching 310.

If you were 5'6&quot;, your stats wouldn't be too impressive to me, but benching 310 &amp; deadlifting 440 when you're 6'3&quot; at that weight is pretty kick ass.

same here colby 6' 2 210. How much do you think we can blame on height? I don't want to use it as an excuse Im just curious of what some realistic goals may be.

If we're going to get technical about it, from a scientific perspective a taller person is disadvantaged when it comes to weight training.

More 'work' is exerted in exercises that move in a vertical plane i.e. bench press, squat, as work is defined as work = mass * distance. Distance is always greater due to greater height / limb length.

In terms of exercises that move in an arc i.e. dumbell curls, greater torque is generated at the mid-point of the exercise due to longer distance between the fulcrum (elbow) and dumbell. This means that the muscle, in this case the bicep, must produce more force, propotional to the torque produced by the dumbell.

Having said all that, it's not something that I'm consciouslly aware of when training as I lift in a way that bio-mechanically suits the length of my body limbs i.e. slightly wider stance than standard for squats / deads and wider grip on pressing movements.

<div>
(Franko @ Dec. 15 2006,06:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">same here colby 6' 2 210.  How much do you think we can blame on  height?  I don't want to use it as an excuse Im just curious of what some realistic goals may be.</div>
I don't think you can &quot;blame&quot; much on height.  I mean, after all..the strongest bencher in the world is 6'3&quot; (mendy), and the strongest (well, one of) squatter is 6'4&quot;  (miller).  Andy Bolton (famous deadlifter) is about 6 feet...and all the strongmen are usually tall

In strongman events height can certainly help you in many areas, such as stones and fingers.  In powerlifting, it usually depends on how much muscle mass you have per inch of length in your limbs, AND things like tendon/ligament length and where they tie in, etc. etc.

Still, even after taking all that stuff into consideration,  a guy who is 66 inches and weighs 210 @ 10% bf has 2.8 lbs of muscle per inch.  A guy who is 75 inches and weighs 210@10%bf only has 2.5 lbs of muscle per inch.  Might not sound like a lot, but that 1/3 of an inch for every inch of height adds up to a lot of muscle.

Theoretically, a guy like Lee Priest should be one of the strongest bbers out there, especially when it comes to things like curls, because he has more muscle per inch on his body (and especially on his arms) than any other bber out there.   Well, he IS.  Priest boasts about curling over 300 lbs for reps.  The guy is 5'4&quot; with 23 inch arms or some crazy number like that.  

Also, what doesn't get recognized much out there is that midgets powerlifters are, pound for pound, the strongest people in the world.  The world record &quot;weight class&quot; Bench, Squat, and Deadlift records are all held by midgets.  Those guys also have the most muscle per inch of height.

The world record &quot;weight class&quot; Bench, Squat, and Deadlift records are all held by midgets.  -----CORRECTION, I'm not sure about the deadlift.  I've only read about the squat and bench press.  This stuff is hard to find because hardly anyone cares about it or takes the lifts seriously, poor midgets
sad.gif

<div>
(Franko @ Dec. 13 2006,13:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I found these over at enrx too. I'm not sure where the others are from.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

These are some pretty lofty goals...</div>
When I was in high school, I was 120 lbs and could bench 195. That would have put me in the advanced. Now I am 150 lbs, and don't know my max bench, but with dumbbells I can only do about 60 lbs each (120 total). That would put me to un-trained
sad.gif
I guess that is what happens when you don't lift for 15 years.

It occurs to me that the little guys (ahem, 'height challenged?') around 3 feet tall would be starting their deadlift near their knees! They have to be the strongest in deads too!

I know a really short girl at work, probably 5 feet tall or so on a good ay. She can deadlift 495 lbs for a 1 rep max.

Back