High-frequency Chins and dips

I have done chins and dips for awhile now and have not seen much in the way of progress. Now granted, I have gained weight lifting, but still I should be stronger on these lifts.
I can't help but notice many gymnasts exercise with bodyweight 5 or 6 times/week, and also many prisoners do chin-ups and dips almost daily with good results.
Does anybody have experience with high-frequency chins? I remember a friend in high school who did a set of chins every day and was quite strong on them.

I have been doing chins only twice/week lately and I am thinking maybe to do the 4 times/week, and possibly dips too. Any input is welcome.

First we should know what type dips are you doing, tri's or chest, and by chins I just have to ask what you're trying to develop, bi's or lats?

If you are doing 5x5, then it's pretty common to add in dips or chins as assistance work after your other lifts. Usually 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 31 2007,21:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First we should know what type dips are you doing, tri's or chest, and by chins I just have to ask what you're trying to develop, bi's or lats?</div>
I don't see how that is relevant...both and both.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 31 2007,21:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are doing 5x5, then it's pretty common to add in dips or chins as assistance work after your other lifts.  Usually 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps.</div>
Thanks, Totentanz, I will do them as assistance at the end of each session.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 31 2007,21:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">First we should know what type dips are you doing, tri's or chest, and by chins I just have to ask what you're trying to develop, bi's or lats?</div>
secondly we should find out what prison he's been visiting
biggrin.gif

i think the point quad is trying to make is there are subtle differences in dips for chest and for tri's.i think he was curious as to which you were refering.

pulling ones body weight is one good way to increase strength ive found.however i wouldnt do them frequently as other parts of your workout could be compromised,the best thing i can suggest(if you dont do it already)is to concentrate harder on your technique as with these exercises it is of great importance.

i do really strict chins with full range of movement.i find if i reach a sticking point i just go for as many as i can strict and then push through a few more reps.its the only advice i can give

Alot of strength gain is neural. The neural portion of improvement is more rapid with frequent workouts. e.g.- Olympic lifts are complicated and require specific neural ability which is why olympic lifters often train 5-6 times/week. Another Example...I was working my rotator cuffs 2-3 times/week with almost no results. I jumped it up to 5-6 times/week as an experiment and my strength and conditioning of my rotator cuff sky-rocketed (mostly neural, using mucles that normally don't get used develops new firing pathways). I am thinking to try that with dips and chins as I haven't focused on them at all with all the powerlifting I have been focused on, and my upper body strength is lacking lately.
Basically ramp up the frequency and volume in order to stimulate rapid neural gains, and once I am getting in the groove, drop down to normal strength/hypertrophy frequency.

Higher Frequency works....There is to much emphasis put on overtraining which is sometimes what scares people from it.

Sci...you are intelligient and knowledgable enough to know how to manage volume with higher frequency so no need to worry about you overtraining.

But IMO...if you want to be better at something do it often as possible and you will get better at it.

Arnold had lagging calves...so he started training them daily and it worked....obviously you cant do the whole body this way but in situation it I think it would work great.

Bottom line: I can do wide dips 'till the cows come home, but chins and narrow dips I would have to use the smaller muscles more, which would overtrain easier. That's all I was getting to, but you do what you want.

Back