How long does each work out take

Thanks Fausto. The routine was ok until I got to the heavy stuff. More warmup sets, extra metabolic work, more volume for some exercises and the duration went up. The thing is that I wanted to maintain or even increase the original volume (generally 2 sets per exercise), so I decided not to leave something out. I'll be SDing in a week or so (a good 2 weeks SD), then I'll plan the next cycle accordingly.

By the way, you said I'm robbing myself of 25% growth potential, why is that? I know that after about 45 minutes cortisol levels increase, but is this so important? Is there a specific study to back it up or is this just your experience? Just wondering, thanks again.

9 to 5 follow what Fausto said...and just expierment with the rest periods. Rest periods in a way are like the rep ranges, in its on way. What I mean is I use to lift heavy weight and I was stronger than my workout partner yet he could lift lighter weight more times than I could...he had better muscular endurance. I treet rest periods the same way. I keep them short usually 1 minute and in the summer time when I need to lean down some I will bump the rest period to 30 seconds.

30 second rest periods are not the best for growth..but know when to use and experiment..for example summertime or if you just dont have asmuch time....anyway long story short give them a try and in about a month your body will be more accustom to them! :D

9 to 5

I did not say 25% exact, I said you could be robbing yourself of growth up to that extent, I think I remember reading that somewhere, can't remember exactly where :confused:

Experiment and adjust :) that is still the best way dude! :D

Cut down sets on non-important exercises like isolation work, use them as post exhaust routines on supersets as a second exercise with little to no rest, that way it is productive and cuts down time
tounge.gif

Ciao

9 to 5, I know it probably isn't feasible, since you work most of the day, but using an AM/PM split, or even splitting up your routine between two days can help cut down workout time if you are having trouble. I think I remember reading that, although cortisol does become elevated after 45 minutes that people who are conditioned to longer workouts won't have elevated cortisol levels until a little while later. Maybe someone else here knows what I'm referring to and can give you the details.

I started my 10 rep scheme yesterday. 10 exercises, 2 sets each and I was done in 40 minutes. I was shocked. I didnt rest long inbetween sets because i was not out of breath as much as I was during the 15's. The 15's made me feel a little nauseau so I had to slow down and rest more, hence my workouts were about 75 minutes.

Found this on another site:

Does static stretching prior to activity effect performance?
Researchers from LSU, BYU-Hawaii, and Northern Arizona University conducted two studies; the first using 60 and 40 % of body weight and the second study using 50% of bodyweight on four different days. Both studies involved 22 college students with an equal number of males and females performing a prone knee flexion exercise for muscle strength endurance. The subjects reported for testing a total of 4 times of the course of 4 months. The first 2 consecutive days were at 60% of body weight and the second 2 consecutive days were at 40% bodyweight. Half the group did non-stretch and the other half performed static stretching prior to the exercise bout.

In Experiment 2 the group performed prone knee flexion with 50% bodyweight for 4 consecutive days. Again, half the group performed non-stretch and the other half performed static stretch prior to the exercise bout. In experiment 1 there was a decrease in muscle strength endurance of 24% in the static stretch 60% load group and a 9% decrease in the static stretch 40% load group.

In experiment 2 a similar result was found. There was decrease in performance by 28% in the group that did static stretching prior to the exercise bout.

Researchers concluded that a recommendation is warranted that heavy static stretching should be avoided prior to performances requiring maximal strength endurance. They also caution that not all stretching methods will produce similar results and that timing of stretching routines also plays a pivotal role in muscle performance.

Acute Muscle Stretching Inhibits Muscle Strength Endurance Performance. Nelson, A.G., J. Kokkonen, and D.A. Arnall. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 19(2): 338–343. 2005. (6/16/2005)

Thank you all for your comments, I found a lot of ideas there. Maybe I'll cut down the number of exercises to a few core movements for the next cycle. Another viable scenario would be to use 3x full body workouts per week up to (and including) the first week of 5's, then switch to 6x per week with an upper-lower split so that each bodypart will still be hit thrice a week.

As you said, a little experimentation could be the way to go, thanks again.

Back