How Much Omega 3?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Again, I'm far from an expert in this. I looked into the 'correct' ratios of omega 3/6 a while back, and the consensus does seem to be more like 3 or 4 to 1 omega 3 to 6. This is a summary of some of the research - http://content.karger.com/Produkt....789.pdf
Which article was it that gave a 1:1 ratio as the goal? THere's some evidence that this may have been what 'primitive' man ate.</div>

I wish I could quote that article. That definitely was what I was looking for. I did not even realize how many health problems were associated with high ratios. It says that the optimal range varies from 1:1 to 4:1.

Thank You!
-Colby

Peanuts have lectins which are like blood glue. They use lectin in animal models to induce atherosclerosis. I would stay away from peanuts altogether.

Thanks Bulldog &amp; Ruthenian,

I have definitely seen Smart Balance PB in most grocery stores. Giving up peanuts should not be too hard, and if I do have them I can always supplement with Omega-3.

-Colby

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Jan. 30 2007,12:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Peanuts have lectins which are like blood glue. They use lectin in animal models to induce atherosclerosis. I would stay away from peanuts altogether.</div>
Hmmm....I have never heard of peanuts being bad for you. As a matter of fact that last I heard they were GOOD for you.

Do you have any links to published research on this?

BTW, the optimal Omega 6:3 ratio is closer to 2-4:1.

Walnuts are the best.

Peanuts and almonds have almost no omega 3 and TRUCKLOADS of Omega 6.

Peanuts: Omega 3: 4.4mg
Omega 6: 22771 mg Per 146grams

ALmonds: Omega 3: 0.0mg
Omega 6: 17465mg per 143 grams

Walnuts: Omega 3: 10623 mg
Omega 6: 44567mg per 117 grams

Thanks for the info. Damn, I like peanuts and almonds
sad.gif
Have just bought a kilo or so of walnuts, though - maybe pick up some more...

Um, nothing bad about pumpkin seeds is there
biggrin.gif

Pumpkin seeds: per 130 grams

Total Omega-3 fatty acids 250 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 28571 mg

Well they must just be saying they are good because they do contain Omega 6. Not because of the ratio between omega 3 and omega 6.

I wasn't aware they were so lopsided. Thanks for the info!

And I wasn't aware that high Omega 6 intake is bad for you unless you have high Omega 3 (1/4 to 1 times as much) as well...

So for the average american who gets very little omega 3's, would they be healther if they didn't eat very much omega 6's either to keep the ratio closer to 4:1 even though they wouldn't really be getitng enough of either one to be of any benefit? Or is there still a benefit to getting a decent amount of omega 6's even though the ratio would be way more than 4:1?

Goes a long way this story, americans like south africans eat too much fried foods, thus the excess omega 6.

They'd be better off eating a lot more fish and cutting down a lot on fride foods.

I vote for Brazilnuts (I believe these buggers have 100 mg of EFA's per nut - don't know the ratios though), flaxseed also has
a good quantity of all three omega fatty acids, linolinic, linoleic and oleic, omegas 3, 6 and 9.

A good read for starters is fats that heal fats that kill by Udo Erasmus.
biggrin.gif

Bottom lining the links that Dan listed, I note this quote re what he takes from the first:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Well what I do is use Flax(1 Tbsp in my Tuna @ Lunch) and Fish Oil (6 Caps in the AM), I used to use CLA (not for EFA) but it was just too expensive after a while.
</div>

Is that still your practice, Dan?

I believe that Lyle McDonald has also recommended 5-6 1gm capsules of fish oil / day but can't find the link. If memory serves, that's something like 180mg EPA and 120 of DHA per cap as someone stated on the first page of this thread.

I don't know what (if anything) McDonald says about the Omega 6 and ratios of 6 to 3.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had started another thread, but I just noticed this one... Is there any data/studies out there that show optimal O6:03 ratios?
</div>

This is one of those (I read it in an article once&quot; things ... my bad.

I do believe that the typical person can benefit from more Omega 3 than they currently get. We evolved eating meat rich in Omega 3 (meat sources feeding on grass, for example) to less Omega 3 (beef cattle raised on grain).

Smart Balance Peanut Butter (1000 mg ala per two tablespoon serving) is what I eat. They manufacture a natural peanut butter, drain off the peanut oil that separates out, and replace it with flax oil. (I think their process may be a little more complex than that
biggrin.gif
).

It costs about $3.50! So I only use 1 tablespoon per day at breakfast. It tastes OK. Maybe it's unneccesary, I don't know. NOw that I'm taking the fish oil, I may drop it from my grocery list. Not sure.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Jan. 31 2007,10:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bottom lining the links that Dan listed, I note this quote re what he takes from the first:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Well what I do is use Flax(1 Tbsp in my Tuna @ Lunch) and Fish Oil (6 Caps in the AM), I used to use CLA (not for EFA) but it was just too expensive after a while.
</div>

Is that still your practice, Dan?</div>
yes when I eat tuna for lunch. I used to eat it everyday but I've gotten down to maybe 3X week now. I still take 1Tbsp flax at lunch but just straight off the spoon and I still take 6 caps of FO in the am.

I constantly cut myself and stab myself in my business and haven't bled to death yet
biggrin.gif
Bandaid loves me
blush.gif

Back