How Much Omega 3?

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Jan. 31 2007,10:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know what (if anything) McDonald says about the Omega 6 and ratios of 6 to 3.</div>
I don't know what he says either but I know what some of the more recent large scale studies show.

Reduction in the ratios of Omega 6:Omega 3 have some benefical effects on fasting and postprandial plasma triacylglycerol concentrations and favorable changes in LDL size. This was with ratios of 5:1 and 3:1 and was in people aged 45 to 70, which I very soon will be.

There have been suggestions that having you body fat be composed of more efa's has a beneficial effect on your metabolism. Anyone know of any studies backing this up?

<div>
(etothepii @ Jan. 31 2007,14:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There have been suggestions that having you body fat be composed of more efa's has a beneficial effect on your metabolism. Anyone know of any studies backing this up?</div>
Ask O&amp;G..

Oh, he can't remember!
laugh.gif

I dont mean to hijack the thread here, but I too just bought some fish oil supplements.

What kind of results have you seen from taking it?

I'm planning on taking 6 capsules a day, with about 300mg EFA+DHA.

How long does it take start working?

Can you see the results in the mirror or what?

I'm totally new to omega 3 supps. I did a search on the site and didn't really find any answers. Thanks

I take 1000mg Fish oil caps (180mg EPA/120mg DHA) each with a max 1ppm heavy metals

I take around 12 a day, I split them into 3 x 4caps and take with meals to try and avoid them being burned for fuel by my body. Ideally you want the body to store the Omega 3 in your fat cells where they can work their magic
cool.gif

One of the biggest causes of age related problems is inflamation and this is mostly down to a poor Omega 3-6-9 balance in the body. So get those Omega 3's in you.

Omega 9 fatty acid is a monounsaturated fat that is also known as, oleic acid. Omega 9 is not technically an essential fatty acid because the body can produce a limited amount, provided the essential fatty acids, omega 3 and omega 6, are present. If your diet is low in these essential fatty acids, then your body can't produce enough omega 9. In that instance, omega 9 becomes an essential fatty acid because your body will need to get it from your diet.

I wanted to second the omega 3 eggs. I use the Christopther brand with 600 grams of omega 3's per egg. I eat 4 of those a day and also take 6 grams of GNC fish oil (180/120 EPA/DHA). In addition, I usually add ground flax seeds to my protein shakes.

High cholesterol/Heart attacks/strokes run in my family though.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">High cholesterol/Heart attacks/strokes run in my family though.</div>

Same here, so more reason to take Omega 3/9's.

Something else to consider is that you should also have plenty of antioxidants even with healthy fats.

Again, because of family history, I drink several cups of green tea a day, add blueberries and strawberries (berries are high in antioxidants) to my protein shake (along with the flax and some yogurt). I also eat enough vegetables to gag a horse (3 cups of raw spinach per day + assorted other vegetables, broccoli, brussels sprouts, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. etc.).

Lots of fruits and vegetables work in conjunction with healthy fats to lower the level of inflamation in the body, which from a few articles I've read on the subject, seem to be the big culprit behind most forms of disease.

I was raised on refined carbs and McDonald's. Whenever I got sick or hurt, I got cookies. We never drank water, it was soda or Kool-aid. I've trying to relearn how to eat in a healthy, life-sustaining way. Its either that or die of cancer, heart-disease, or complications related to type two diabetes (or more likely a combination of the three).

Oh yeah, putting on some muscle to replace all of the fat would be a nice side-effect.
wink.gif

Sorry for digressing.

Sounds like you're on the right track, javacody.
cool.gif

It can really be hard to unlearn unhealthy eating habits once they've been hard-wired into our brains during our childhood. The sooner one makes those necessary life altering changes, the better. I consider myself very lucky to have realized the importance of healthy nutrition at a young age (well, my late teens, to be precise). It's like putting money in a bank, really.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3 cups of raw spinach per day </div>

Are you worried about the effects of oxalic acid with this quantity of daily intake?

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Feb. 20 2007,12:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3 cups of raw spinach per day </div>

Are you worried about the effects of oxalic acid with this quantity of daily intake?</div>
I don't think Popeye was.

Am I the only older lifter here who noticed that the fish oil seems to soothe the mysterious (probably arthur) joint aches? I get a lot of knuckle and hip pains that go away when I take the fish poop.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Feb. 20 2007,13:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Ruthenian @ Feb. 20 2007,12:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">3 cups of raw spinach per day </div>

Are you worried about the effects of oxalic acid with this quantity of daily intake?</div>
I don't think Popeye was.</div>
Off topic, but I have always been convinced that the guy who created Popeye must have hated kids.  My mom fed me canned spinach all the time -- can anybody actually like that slop?
sad.gif

Back