How much protein powder per day?

bandekk

How much protein powder does everyone have a day, I've worked out that I can consume four servings (17g each) a day fairly easily and get approx 160g of protein (with other things). As I'm still off by about 40g is there are limit or guidlines as to how much whey protein powder you should have in a day, thanks

Kev

I feel your pain. I have trouble with reaching my daily protein goal as well( 160 grams, I weigh 170). I get about 80 grams of whey a day, which puts me half way home, but I feel like I'm leaning on it too much on. I know eating whey instead of more traditional protein sources robs myself of valuable nutrients/minerals, but is there anything inherently dangerous about consuming too much whey? :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ May 01 2003,7:14)]Kev,
Have read this post from FAQ ?
Diet and nutrition
How much do you weight ?
Are you trying to gain ?
( I think you are from reading the "gag" post )
Yes, but the question is about how much Protein Powder you should consume, rather than total combined protein intake

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I feel your pain. I have trouble with reaching my daily protein goal as well( 160 grams, I weigh 170). I get about 80 grams of whey a day, which puts me half way home, but I feel like I'm leaning on it too much on.

consuming 80g protein a day is easy! its only approximately 400g of fairy lean meat spread over the entire day!

one chicken breast is probably around 25g protein. you would only have to eat 4 per day to get those 80grams. eat two for lunch in a sandwich, and two for dinner with rice, and youve got your protein.

i too aim to get 160g protein per day.

here is an example of the sources of my protein intake:

-40g from whey (20g pre WO, 20g post.)~ 40g
-5 eggs (2 whole, 3whites only) ~25g
-1 tin tuna ~ 30g
-1 chicken breast ~ 25g
-200g lean minced beef ~ 40g

Total ~ 160g

that doesnt include the milk, yogurt etc i would have on a dialy basis.
also, protein from vegetables/carbs etc have not been included.

i could easily up this 160g if i wanted to. i love meat!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]bandekk, Yes, but the question is about how much Protein Powder you should
consume, rather than total combined protein intake

Sorry, I miss read your post.

I have read about the "shake diet" where you drink shakes all day.
(kinda like slim fast) I don't recommend this but if you do try this make sure
a bathroom is always close by :)

I (like stevie) take around 20 pre and 20 post and get the rest of my protein from food.

Another protein source example would be to mix your vanilla whey with cottage cheese.
This would combine your fast protein with some slow protein, makes eating cottage
cheese tolerable and gives you 40-50 grams of protein.

I would like to add my 2 cents and a few words about protein drinks and protein in general.

1) Your primary protein source should be from whole foods.

2) Try to eat 1 gram per pound of "lean" bodyweight per day while trying to gain weight.

3) Get at least 1 gram per pound "total" bodyweight while dieting.

4) Protein powders should be used in 2 ways, as a strategic pre-& post-workout anabolic supplement, and for convenience at other times of the day.

The only true benefit of using protein powders comes from per-& post-workout supplementation. Other than that, whole food protein sources are just as good if not better because of other nutrients they contain.

Great readers-digest version.

Blade, get that one in the FAQ!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2) Try to eat 1 gram per pound of "lean" bodyweight per day while trying to gain weight.

do u mean that assuming more than 1g per pound "total" bodyweight could prevent mass gain while bulking even if calories are well over manteinance?
I red the FAQ about diminishing return of high protein intake but if I get around 30% of total calories from protein (which on a 2400Kcal diet means 180g prot vs a bodyweight of 144lb.) can I still have good mass gains?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ May 05 2003,4:42)]2) Try to eat 1 gram per pound of "lean" bodyweight per day while trying to gain weight.

:confused: wait... isn't it the other way around?

No, as calories go up, the need for protein goes down in the abundance of carbs. As calories go down, protein becomes more critical to maintain muscle mass.

Too much protein can actually inhibit weight gain if carbs are too low. The most efficient use of both protein and carbs is at a ratio of about 12-15% protein and 60-65% carbs. This has to do with the thermic effect of food.

As protein goes up in relation to carb intake, thermogenesis goes up at the protein is oxidized, deaminated, etc. As protein goes down in comparison to carbs thermogenesis goes up as the excess carbs are burned. These ratios come from a classic paper entitled "Gluttony Revisited".

This is one thing that researchers in particular can't understand about bodybuilders and their love affair with protein...just because protein is used most efficiently at a certain level in the diet, it doesn't mean that is the level of maximal utilization. In other words, just because more and more protein is wasted as total intake goes up, more and more is also incorporated into tissues, although the percentage of the total intake goes down. That's why there is always a controversy over how much protein athletes need. One camp is arguing about efficiency, and the other is arguing about total amount utilized.

While we're on this topic, I have a quick question too.

I've read that many people, while training use a 40:40:20 ratio, i.e; 40% of diet as protein.

Now for me, at 280lb I would need (280 X 15 = 4200 cals per day.
40% of 4200 = 1680cals of protein/4g = 420g of protein per day)

Is that right? That's a shed-load of protein, if it is. :confused:

Who came up with the 40:40:20 ratio? Was it supplement sellers by chance???

Thanks for any advice here.

Brix.

Going by ratios is obviously nutty. Even Sear's realised that!

As Bryan mentioned above (and Lyle repeatedly mentions) better to use the 1g per pound rule for protien, set the fats at atleast 15-20% and make up the rest in carbs/or fats (with carbs being at minimum above ketogenic levels for bulking).

40/40/20 looks like it was built on someone's hypothesis of 'more protein=more muscle, carbs make you fat'.

Protein and carbs should be allocated by bodyweight rather than a ratio.
I cannot find a ratio of fats/bodyweight, but nobody seems to have thought of it yet.

hmm... what if you're on keto? my LBM is around 150, and so i aim for that amount in protein (wo-days i often hit 170g, my actual BW), esp since i remember reading from lyle that around 150g is needed to maintain the nitrogen balance or something like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ May 09 2003,1:13)]Protein and carbs should be allocated by bodyweight rather than a ratio.
I cannot find a ratio of fats/bodyweight, but nobody seems to have thought of it yet.
Exactly...bodyweight and activity level/type.

The fat question is complicated because we don't have to eat fat to get fat "calories" unless we are extremely lean. We don't have to eat carbs though. But there are essential dietary fats and essential amino acids...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Keebler Elf @ May 08 2003,11:08)]Going by ratios is obviously nutty.

40/40/20 looks like it was built on someone's hypothesis of 'more protein=more muscle, carbs make you fat'.
Yeah.... thanks.

I obviously read way too much from supplement sellers websites :confused:

One other quick question on this topic then...

I've also read
sad.gif
that, immediately post-work out, ideally, you should consume 1g of protein per 1kg of lean bwt.

Again, is this the case, as for me, thats still 100-ish grams of protein in one hit...

and, if so, where does that fit into the daily count?

Thanks in advance from - apparently - the 'supplement seller's best friend'! :D

Brix. Still puzzled. And skint.

Ok so more proteins than 1g/pound is a waste when bulking but can i gain anyway?My problem is that I have troubles digesting complex carbs (pasta rice bread cereals etc.)
and I dont want to substitute them with huge amounts of sugars so I simply substituted them with proteins and good fats.Anyway it seems that the only way to avoid the problem is to keep carbs and proteins separated over the day i.e concentrate complex carb at lunch.

I remember an article from "Ironman" magazine that stated that by keeping separated proteins and carbos during the day would result in a better body's protein usage-retention,does this makes sense?
Unfortunately I only have a link to the Italian translation but anyway you can check the referenced studyes at the end of the article:
http://www.olympian.it/index2.cfm (link to part 1 of the article).

What about protein intake on work out days compared to non work out days, can there be a noticeable difference?

If you'd choose to have a difference, best to fill this gap on non work out days with fat, or carbs?

Maybe a silly question, but i must say i find it hard to consume 2 grams per kilo every day. Also, i'm worried about the effects this may have on my liver in the long run.

PPP

Back