How much protein powder per day?

I doubt i'm the only one who's concerned about his liver. Or is there no harm in eating large amounts of protein daily whatsoever?

PPP

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPP @ May 12 2003,6:53)]What about protein intake on work out days compared to non work out days, can there be a noticeable difference?
If you'd choose to have a difference, best to fill this gap on non work out days with fat, or carbs?
Maybe a silly question, but i must say i find it hard to consume 2 grams per kilo every day. Also, i'm worried about the effects this may have on my liver in the long run.
PPP
If your protein intake drops, you can make up for it by increasing your carb intake. Fat does not spare protein like carbs do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPP @ May 15 2003,12:04)]I doubt i'm the only one who's concerned about his liver. Or is there no harm in eating large amounts of protein daily whatsoever?
PPP
Beware of ignorant physicians. Many of them have a tendency to blame bodybuilding (and whatever goes with it, like high protein, AAS, etc) for everything that happens to bodybuilders. Just the other day I heard about a pathologist who attributed a case of renal failure to high protein intake, although he "couldn't explain the exact mechanism". Go figure...

That being said, it's true that high protein intake on a permanent basis and weight training may stress the liver, but it's nothing to fret about. Bodybuilders may show elevated ALT, AST and CK, but the increase is minimal and it certainly has nothing to do with the 10fold (or more) increases over normal values indicative of hepatitis or hepatotoxicity. In bodybuilders GGT levels remain normal and physicians should evaluate them when examining them. See this study.

Lemon juice and various herbs (like milk thistle) reportedly have good hepatoprotective properties. Protein cycling may also help.

I feel that the increased bodymass, and training load are more indicative of liver stress than the actual increase in protein intake.
Much like kidney, unless you have a disease state that alters what you can eat, increased protien intake has little effect on anything (except satiety, hypertrophy yadayada)

if your talking about the liver....then there are plenty of substances bodybuilders consume that are far more likely to be the genuine cause of liver failure!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brixtonian @ May 09 2003,8:16)]One other quick question on this topic then...
I've also read
sad.gif
that, immediately post-work out, ideally, you should consume 1g of protein per 1kg of lean bwt.
Again, is this the case, as for me, thats still 100-ish grams of protein in one hit...
and, if so, where does that fit into the daily count?
Thanks in advance from - apparently - the 'supplement seller's best friend'! :D
I don't feel it necessary to take 100 grams of protein in 1 sitting. Besides, if you have taken your pre-workout protien drink (which is considerably more effective than post workout), you won't need so much post-workout. For 280lbs (20 stones) I would suggest 30-35 grams pre-workout and 40-50 grams post-workout.

This protein should be included in your accounting of total daily intake.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PPP @ May 14 2003,3:04)]I doubt i'm the only one who's concerned about his liver. Or is there no harm in eating large amounts of protein daily whatsoever?
PPP
Protein doesn't really effect the liver. It's the kidney that take the brunt. Your kidneys will grow as their workload goes up, and shrink as it goes down. This is not pathologic, it is adaptive and poses no harm to the individual.

Thus far, there has been no research that was able to show that large intakes of protein negatively effect the kidney in people with healthy kidneys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you have taken your pre-workout protien drink (which is considerably more effective than post workout), you won't need so much post-workout.

So if I take 20g whey 20min before w/o and I have a solid meal with steak or eggs say 15-20 min after w/o should I be fine?
Acting this way should I add a carb only shake after the meal?
(I'm asking this because I'm not used to have carbs for dinne except veges)

Thx

Sure, that's pretty good.

Or you can add some bread on the side for extra carbs instead of a shake.

Just have any drink with some sugar in it (no special carb shake) after you workout, and go eat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ May 15 2003,2:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So if I take 20g whey 20min before w/o and I have a solid meal with steak or eggs say 15-20 min after w/o should I be fine?

That would be fine, or you could take another "whey" drink right after, and eat steak an hour after that. Sometimes it can take quite a while (relatively speaking) for steak to raise blood amino acid levels.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Acting this way should I add a carb only shake after the meal? (I'm asking this because I'm not used to have carbs for dinne except veges) -Thx

That's up to you. If you are trying to get lean, you can live without it. If your goal is size, you will definately want some carbs in there.

Oke, interesting info guys. Thanks Micmic, Bryan.

I must say i too never was able to find any evidence for liver (or kidney for that matter) damage due to high protein intake, but various doctors claim so anyway. Therefore i was worried. But nolonger. ;)

Pieter

Back