HST and lean muscle

vanludwig

Hi I am new to HST and I understand that it is used for muscle growth but can you achieve a lean, ripped appearance or is it more useful for developing a larger, bulky appearance? Also, does anyone use a superset training method or does that defeat the purpose of HST? Thank you

Hi I am new to HST and I understand that it is used for muscle growth but can you achieve a lean, ripped appearance or is it more useful for developing a larger, bulky appearance?
Being a heavily muscled large and bulky man won't happen overnight, you won't have to worry about suddenly being too huge. It takes a lot of hard work. Whether you will become lean & ripped or "large and bulky" is also dependent on your diet. Muscle is muscle, and how your muscles shape is based on genetics, not on any training method, all they do is make muscle grow, and what they "grow into" is genetics. Being "lean and ripped" just means having a low bodyfat%, nothing more.

While on a bulking cycle, you will unavoidably be "large and bulky" since you need to be in a constant caloric surplus to build muscle, which also ends up packing some fat - this is governed by your partitioning ratio (p:ratio). Your p:ratio is also mostly genetic (some people easily pack in fat, while some are more biased towards muscle), but of course exercise and diet also affects this to some degree.

When you have bulked enough and want to become the lean and ripped athlete you saw on the cover of a magazine, you can then start a cutting cycle, which mostly involves being in a controlled caloric deficit. When your cutting cycle is finished, that is when you become lean & ripped.

So it has nothing to do with a specific training method. It's all about whether you are bulking or cutting, and unless you are already heavily muscled, there is no sense in cutting immediately since you have no musclular appearance to expose.

Also, does anyone use a superset training method or does that defeat the purpose of HST?
Doing supersets is fine. Lots of members here reported doing it at one time or another. It clashes against no principle in HST.

Hi,I am new to HST, I am a female trying to get rid of stubborn fat ;( I am on a reduction diet and go to gym 5 days a week (weights and cardio), will HST be good for me? I want to get lean but do like muscle too ;) my main concern is my flabby stomach, i would love to get rid of it!

Some research has shown subcutaneous fat (fat under the skin) to be more sensitive to higher intensity exercise as compared to long-and-slow cardio. Try weights and then interval training on a treadmill. Do your weights first.

Back