HST Noobie...need help please!

Notorious_GIB

Hi, I've been working out for about 3 weeks now (2-3) times a week & just came back from a 9 year lay off from lifting. I've been doing full body workouts trying to break myself back into things limiting execersises to 3 sets each & not working out again until I'm no longer sore. During this time I stumbled across HST. I'm anxious to get started but have a few questions that I'm hoping someone more experienced with HST can answer.

1. Is it necessary for me to do selective decondtioning since I've only been working out for three, almost four, weeks?

2. I can only Bench Press 115lbs for 15 reps. At 10lb increments my starting weight for an HST cycle on bench would be 65lbs!!! I know I'm weak, but I dont think 2 sets of flat bench presses is really going to make me sore @ 65lbs. Is this really the weight I should be starting at? LOL, even some of the women in there will be bench pressing more weight then me
sad.gif

Thanks in advance for the forthcoming answers.

hmm,so I'm the anyone and I try answer
I'm new in this so...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Notorious_GIB @ July 05 2005,4:58)]1.  Is it necessary for me to do selective decondtioning since I've only been working out for three, almost four, weeks?
Maybe not, but SD won't hurt you eather,right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Notorious_GIB @ July 05 2005,4:58)]2.  I can only Bench Press 115lbs for 15 reps.  At 10lb increments my starting weight for an HST cycle on bench would be 65lbs!!! I know I'm weak, but I dont think 2 sets of flat bench presses is really going to make me sore @ 65lbs.  Is this really the weight I should be starting at?  LOL, even some of the women in there will be bench pressing more weight then me
sad.gif

Thanks in advance for the forthcoming answers.
well do incline bench then :D
but for real,what the #### does it matter how much somebody else lifts,year now after hardcore HST training you will be bigger than any other of these MFs,who's laughing then?
you bench what you bench.I'm not good with bench either,and I do incline bench in my HST cycle and you will ne amazed how tough it will be to do 30 slow reps of benching.

Head up,balls to the walls and go for it!!

From suddenly warm Finland,
HST noobie Alec

P.S. I don't know how much is 115lbs
butbut.gif
 I only use kilograms  :D

GIB:

Don't use 10 lbs increments, only use 5. If you use 10, then do it twice i.e. 95, 95, 105, 105, 115, 115 for the six workouts.

Yeah, you usually don't want to go lower than 60% of your RM. I'd shoot for closer to 70%, which would be 80. You can also repeat a weight for a workout or two if that will help you increment better. But also remember that a larger gap between the first weight you start out with on the first day of 15s and the last weight you use on the very last day of post 5s is better than a smaller gap.

Also remember that soreness is not necessary for growth. So even though 65 lbs isn't making you sore (although after a long enough SD, it might) it is still going to cause you to grow.

Take the SD. Take two weeks, since you've been working out for a few weeks beforehand. Start with 65 lbs on your bench, see what happens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ July 06 2005,8:56)]Yeah, you usually don't want to go lower than 60% of your RM.  I'd shoot for closer to 70%, which would be 80.  You can also repeat a weight for a workout or two if that will help you increment better.  But also remember that a larger gap between the first weight you start out with on the first day of 15s and the last weight you use on the very last day of post 5s is better than a smaller gap.
I am finishing up 15's this week, and I set my Day1 weights at 70% of my 15RM. Should I apply the same percentage to 10's and 5's?

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ July 06 2005,8:48)]I am finishing up 15's this week, and I set my Day1 weights at 70% of my 15RM.  Should I apply the same percentage to 10's and 5's?
-Colby
I would for now, as you get accustomed to the cycle start taking mental or actual notes on if the increments were effective or not for each workout, did you feel strain on each increment? Soreness with each increment? Completion with your planned reps/sets? These things can give you insight into perfecting your routine for you.

Back