Hybrid Hypertrophy Program

Awesome #'s for all of your lifts! I would try doing a shoulder press of some kind free of the Smith machine though.

I tend to get sore shoulders from doing OH presses in the Smith Machine. The machine forces an artificial path for the bar.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Thanks guys. I definitely agree about the OH presses on the Smith machine. It's the first time I've used it in a long time, but I find that my shoulders get irritated on the heaver shoulder sets from kicking up the DB's so many times (10x3), and my gym doesn't have a "real" BB shoulder press chair so it's really difficult to rack and re-rack the bar on the squat rack (while sitting on a flat bench with no back support). The Smith does stink though...I'll have to figure something out for next workout.

How about you try standing OH presses? I think you'd like the results, and it overcomes your current equipment challenges.

See it here.

10/11/07
Straight Sets - Strength/Hypertrophy

BB Decline Press 235 lbs 10x4 - this was intense

T-Bar Row 135 lbs 10x4

Dips BW 3x15

Chins BW 3x5 + 2 long negs - no juice left at this point

Cable Curls 30 lbs 2x30, 2x20

10/14/07
Super Sets - Strength/Hypertrophy

Squat 245 lbs 4x5 255 3x5  275 3x4 PR / Push Press 135 lbs 10x3

Shrugs 320 lbs 4x8/Seated Calf Raises 135 lbs 4x8

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 11 2007,22:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">BB Decline Press 235 lbs 10x4 - this was intense</div>
I'll bet!

I hope you have a good spotter. You can fatigue rapidly on declines and get a real surprise when the bar comes down on your neck...!

10/16/07

Chins BW+45 8x3  This was too heavy for me, what do I do now since I don't want to drop my weight??
BB Flat Bench 245 lbs 8x3
T-Bar Row 90 lbs 3x12
Dips BW+25 1x12,2x10
DB Incline Curls 24 lbs (combined) 2x30,2x20
DB Curls 30 lbs (combined) 3x20, 2x15, 1x10

Please help...what do you do if weight was increased too fast during a cycle...I don't want to drop down the poundages though because of linear progression I am using?

Edit to add:

I realize that I did extremely high volume on my bi's.  I am doing this to build up my endurance for this muscle as I don't expect it to do much for growth.  My hope is that throught the increased endurance, I will be able to do lower reps with higher weight during the next cycle.  Currently I putter out very quickly with this muscle, and I think it is interfering with my back workouts and bicep growth.

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 16 2007,23:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Please help...what do you do if weight was increased too fast during a cycle...I don't want to drop down the poundages though because of linear progression I am using?</div>

Theres nothing wrong with adjusting the loads when nessessary , drop down to the last load that doable and repeat it a couple w/o's until strength allows advancement , Also , with 10x3 or 8x3 it can help to lessen the increment added in terms of load progression the longer the cycle goes ,and as situations arise as you've described.
I strongly suspect that you are at the point where a deload week would be advised , I would personally recommend one immediately. IIRC , you began the 10x3 immediately after 15's , and 10's - while the enthusiasm is admireable - you really NEED to do a proper SD or unload before starting a 10x3 as it is intense , the exception would be if using it as a cycle extender in leiu of negatives for example.

After a deload , the next &quot;trick&quot; is to at the latter stages of the progression begin to cut volume , just as many do in HST towards the end - it allows the strength gaing to continue .

From the point of view of what exactly makes a 10x3 effective , the high volume of iso's are going to be in opposition to what you are trying to do with the body , adding those movements into the 10(or8)x3 rotation will yeild better results , both for those movements and for load advancement overall.

The key is to always use the first time using any program as an &quot;intro&quot; type cycle , and then use what you've learned to make subsequent cycles in that program optimal for your body.

Hope this gives you some ideas - good luck!
smile.gif

I agree w/Russ that there is nothing wrong with adjustments. They are similar to the zig-zagging that can happen between mesocycles. Drop the load and progress again.

RUSS,

Thanks. I need to deload ASAP...can you advise on the best way to do this. Should I just drop all of my 10x3 to 3x3 for a week or is there something more I should be doing? For the higher rep work I can do say 1x10 instead of 3x10 or something similar. I also want to shoot for a week of PR's before I SD so how do yo think that can fit in to the deload scenerio. Sorry for all of the questions, but I never really properly SD or deload before...always balls to the wall all the time. Thanks.

Well, now that I'm thinking about it...deload sounds more like dropping the load than the volume. Please advise
wow.gif

In the most general terms a deload is a drop in volume AND frequency by about a third , BUT there are  many variations on this , as it is relative to the variables of the program being deloaded. Basically you are reducing the degree of stress but not the stress itself - intensity (loads) are kept the same so as to deload and not &quot;detrain&quot;.

Some schools of thought WILL drop intensity to about 60% 1rm - but this is usually done by PLers who have been working 3x3 (or doubles) at a VERY high %age of 1rm and whose extremely low volume leaves little room to adjust the other 2 variables (volume and frequency). We'll leave that alone for your purposes as 10x3 is generally considered medium- medium high volume depending on the template used. Many PLers will simply take a week off completely although now the lines between a deload and an unload become blurred.

What I would suggest for you during your 10x3 is to drop deadlifts completely for the week , substitute 3x3 for all 10(or8)x3's using your last loads, and completely refrain from the higher rep sets for the week. While it may be tempting to do those higher rep iso's and such - just remind yourself that by NOT using anything even remotely resembling &quot;junk volume&quot; during this week , you are practically ensuring that you will surpass some personal bests by cycles end after resuming. There are endless combinations of variables that you could use to effect a deload - this is what I've found to work best fopr 10x3. You wont lose any strength (unless you spend the week fasting or something crazy) and you'll come back refreshed but without the typical strength/conditioning loss one would expect from an &quot;official&quot; SD or unload.

During the deload less is more - I get the sense that taking breaks may not come easily to your temperament - force yourself - it will pay off to do it correctly. Make sure to eat and sleep the same as when going full bore also.

This is just one way to achieve an effective deload , and of course you could &quot;personalize &quot; one very effectively also using the basic principals regardless of how you choose to implement it I do think it is nessessary NOW.

After the deload you shouold get roughly 2 more weeks of progression and then begin to cut volume - you could drop a set or 2 each week off the 3's - until down to 3x3's at which point you could either unload (SD) or take a week to hit all out 1rm singles in the big lifts - again it's fairly open to personal preference as long as the basics are adhered to.
smile.gif

Thanks so much for all your time and support RUSS. You are a valuable asset to this board. I will start the deload immediately, as you are correct that I went directly from 15's and 10's to this program...not to mention the previous 6 months of body part split I had been doing prior to joining this forum. I'm at about 8 mos. without a SD! I must give the deload and PR's a shot before the SD though. Thanks again.

colby, thanks to you as well. Your comments and thoughs are always informative and appreciated.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Chins BW+45 8x3 This was too heavy for me, what do I do now since I don't want to drop my weight??</div>
Amidst the most excellent answers, I did not notice anyone mention the trick of deloading just one sticking exersize - something I had to learn to do with linear progression due to hitting maxes a lot. You cut back that one while coming ahead on schedule with the others. Then when you come to the sticking point, you pass it by without interrupting the whole cycle.
Of course, if you need an overall deload or SD, then by all means do so.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">colby, thanks to you as well. Your comments and thoughs are always informative and appreciated.</div>

You are welcome!

There are a lot of options within an HST cycle which is what makes it such a sticking point with lifters. Quad and Russ brought up good points about deloading, and there is always our good friend SD.
laugh.gif

10/19/07

Starting a 10-day deload - Will workout every 3rd day (4 workouts during the 10 days)

Back Squat 300 lbs PR/Push Press 145 lbs 3x3

Shrugs 320 lbs 3x5

DB Curls 80 lbs (combined) 6x3

Somehow the workout still took about an hour.  I guess I was taking longer than usual rests and there was quite a bit of warmup for the squats - which I hit a PR on!  On a sour note, I do my squats with a flat bench under my butt, so when I touch I know I have gone down deep enough, and then I push back up.  Well I asked one of the vereran lifters to take a look at my form, and while he said it was fine, he said that the bench is too high and keeping me from going down to parallel by about 3-4 inches.  Well, I didn't think this was much of a big deal, but he told me when he raises the pin in the power rack by one hole (about 3 inches) he is able to handle 2 more plates on each side!  So now I don't know if my numbers really count or if I'm just sucking out!

I have to agree with the veteran lifter. You can go past parallel, and I have personally found that it is a much smoother and safer movement when done that way. You may be able to do more since you won't be locking at a position.

I thought you were deloading? What's up with the PR's? LOL, either way congrats man, 300 lb Back Squat is insane.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 20 2007,13:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought you were deloading?  What's up with the PR's?  </div>
I noticed that too , you really want to keep loads the same and cut volume and/or frequency ... It can be hard psychologically for me to pull back too - but if the drive to exceed isn't reigned in during deloads and unloads/SDs it can become an achilles heel that will hold back optimal progress once balls out lifting is resumed.
smile.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 20 2007,14:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought you were deloading?  What's up with the PR's?  </div>
I am...I am cutting back on volume and frequency pretty drastically over the next 10 days.  It just kinda happened with the squats because I've only been doing them for about 2 months or so, and the weight just seems to be increasing rapidly since I never did that exercise before.  I'll curb it at 300 through the deload and not increase any of the other exercises.  Thanks guys.

Back