Hybrid Hypertrophy Program

This may be turning into more than a deload. I haven't worked out in 6 days (counting today). Should I take the full 14 days off and SD or just start back up today and make this a solid deload? Advice appreciated.
smile.gif

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 25 2007,10:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This may be turning into more than a deload.  I haven't worked out in 6 days (counting today).  Should I take the full 14 days off and SD or just start back up today and make this a solid deload?  Advice appreciated.
smile.gif
</div>
I would reccommend the full SD (14 days) you've been going way too long from the info you provided.
smile.gif

Deifinitely 14 days at least.
Look guy, I just came off a TWO MONTH SD - and I'm bouncing back so fast with MM it's amazing to see. You won't lose any beef if you don't eat stupidly.
We're all so scared we're gonna lose all our gains...but what you may lose on a long SD is strength, as I did. Oh, and conditioning, but hey, it all comes back.

*at our church homegroup last night: &quot;Hey, you're working out again!&quot; ...I'm beginning week 2 of the TENS!*

OK...but I can't do more than 14 days. I never even went for PR's and now I'm going to come back weaker than before. It's to bad because I really wanted to see what my maxes were, oh well. Anyway, what's the verdict on cardio during SD. I don't want to burn away muscle, but I can't sit around like a potato getting fat either. Thanks for the replies.

I think it was Bryan who mentioned cardio is okay after about day four of ...watching tv. Now SD is for hypertrophy. If you want strength and lots of it, maybe you need to study the SST forum.
What you can do and it's a LOT of fun is a 5x5 cycle, which is just like HST anyway. You will be strong, my friend.
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/

Do HIIT, my friend - not just static cardio. There's no fear of burning up the muscle tissue that you've worked for.

I wouldn't do any kind of intense cardio. Some mild cardio would be best. HIIT would pretty much be the worst thing you can do if your goal is to decondition/deload your legs.

I would adjust calorie intake on those days to compensate, so that you are still at maintenance, or if below maintenance then only very slightly below. Quad is right, you won't lose tons of muscle mass during a two week SD unless you starve yourself the whole time, but you still want to be more safe than sorry. So keep the cals around maintenance and don't go overboard on cardio.

From the FAQ:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
CARDIO DURING SD

Will serious cardio sessions during the SD week hamper your results?

Well, it will have the greatest conditioning effect on those muscle groups used for the cardio.

Exercising has the opposite effect as Deconditioning.

By doing intense exercise you are conditioning the muscle to be resistant for future exercise bouts. Chronic aerobic exercise interferes with strength and size gains on a number of different levels (CNS, MHC expression, etc), none of which have anything to do with deconditioning.

I haven't found brisk walking (on a good incline) to significantly hamper deconditioning.
</div>

Thanks a lot guys. Well, I've come up with a compromise for myself. I will SD for 12 days, since Brian recommendeds 9-12 days. I'm going to avoid pretty much all physical activity (as crappy as that makes me feel) for the full 12 days. If anything I may do some light incline walking just for sanity reasons. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to do my next cycle. There's pretty much no point in doing a SD unless I'm going to drop my weights back quite a bit. If I just start off close to (or where) my last weights of the cycle were, I might have well just done a 2 week deload. So now I must ponder...I want to do triples (10x3), but should I still start off HST style at 15's and 10's and then advance to 3's. Or, should I just start off with triples at a lower % of my 1RM and just work up from there. I just don't know how I'm going to do it...

I USUALLY use frequency and volume as opposed to intensity as my variables that I'll &quot;ease back into&quot; - so I'll start out @ 80%1RM (roughly) but work up to my usual 4x/wk(2x each movement) via 3x/wk with 80% (8x3) of my &quot;full bore&quot; target volume (w/o volume that is) , something like this:

8x3

M- push
W- pull
f- push
(ect. till I'm ready for full bore)
Then:

10x3

M-pull
T-push
w- off
t- pull
F- push
S-off
S-off

I've also used the first week of HST 15's (using the Hst calculator) then just jumped in to 4x/wk at 80% , 10x3's.It worked just fine - the DOMS and &quot;reconditioning&quot; so to speak , (which only seems to occur for me the first week of a 10x3 routine) was about the same either way.

There's really a million ways you could do this to &quot;personalize&quot; your approach - as usual , almost anything will suffice as long as the general idea is adhered to.
smile.gif

Well, how long of a program do you want to follow next round? I would base my decision on that. A shorter cycle would mean starting at a higher percentage with a quicker ramp up. A longer one would mean a more conservative starting percentage and drawing out the progression for a longer period before trying for new PRs.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 26 2007,16:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, how long of a program do you want to follow next round?  I would base my decision on that.  A shorter cycle would mean starting at a higher percentage with a quicker ramp up.  A longer one would mean a more conservative starting percentage and drawing out the progression for a longer period before trying for new PRs.</div>
Excellent point ...
smile.gif

I definitely want the cycle to go for 8-10 weeks at least.  Maybe I can start with full body 3x/week and then transition to a push/pull 4x/week as the intensity increases.  Also, I don't mind doing a significant deload in the middle of the cycle for 10-14 days to rest up for the heavier poundages and to help lenghten the cycle.  Maybe I can do:
1 week of 15's
1 week of 10's
1 week of 5's
then deload for 2 weeks using 3x3 with the same poundages as the 5's
3 weeks full-force,4x/week push/pull 10x3
2 weeks of doubles and singles setting as many PR's as possible

Russ, your method seems excellent, and I'll probaly end up using it...my only concern being how long I will be able to maintain the cycle if I start at 80% 1RM, but with a deload I could probably still manage 7-8 weeks or so.

Day 9 of SD. I'm eating like a f-ing pig and I feel soft, fat, small, and weak (great combo). To top off a day of crap eating I had a bowl of chocolate ice cream with magic shell (the cholcolate hardens on the cold ice cream) around midnight. It seems I have no control while on this SD. At least I'm not losing weight...

Just to put this in perspective , Dorian Yates was known to eat a half gallon of ice cream during photo shoot breaks - relax , you're going to worry your cortisol levels into that of an old fish wife ! ( just kidding ) ...
biggrin.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Oct. 28 2007,21:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just to put this in perspective , Dorian Yates was known to eat a half gallon of ice cream during photo shoot breaks - relax , you're going to worry your cortisol levels into that of an old fish wife ! ( just kidding ) ...
biggrin.gif
</div>
I have the same cortisol levels as my jewish grandmother.  
smile.gif

Colby,

I think if I eat enough ice cream I will definitely be bulky...it all goes to the chest and arms I heard, right?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 28 2007,16:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Day 9 of SD. I'm eating like a f-ing pig and I feel soft, fat, small, and weak (great combo).</div>
Perhaps, but you're not old and gray and slow...
sad.gif

12 Day SD complete!  Will return tomorrow!  I don't care if nobody beoives me, but I definitely lost some muscle and without a doubt vascularity.  This was on maintenance+ calories at that because my BF is up slightly as well.  Is this normal?

Edit: Sorry I haven't been around the board much (not that anybody really gives a ****) but I felt that I needed to stay away from all things exercise as much as possible so I wouldn't cheat (workout).

Back