Hybrid Hypertrophy Program

12/2/07

Back Squats 235 lbs 7x3, 2x5
Chins BW 5x5
BB Incline Bench 165 lbs 8x3 felt really heavy for some reason?
DB Curls 80 lbs 4x3, 4x4

12/5/07

Another strange workout...

Legs too sore from squats for deads...

BB Bench 185 lbs 1x10 225 lbs 4x3
T-Bar Row (Neutral) 100 lbs 4x6
Seated DB Shoulder Press 90 lbs 1x12,1x10,1x8
BB Curls 85 lbs 8x3
Dips BW 2x15

* I never really recovered my strength after the SD, which is why I believe this cycle is for crap!  My strength and size seemed better with vanilla HST (with a swirl of some iso's).  My issue now is how to transition from this to HST without a SD, maybe just a deload then a switch???

If you want to transition to HST the best thing would be to find Current maxes and then start @ the 10's - 15's would be pointless after already putting in the workouts you have. I'm sorry to hear that triples aren't working out for you , although to be fair I did notice several observations about eating like crap and not getting to the gym in the last two pages of your log. I suspect that you may have ramped up too quickly - I (no offense just trying to be honest) have noticed a tendency on your part to want to go "balls out" as they say (not a bad thing in and of itself) , but when doing higher percentage triple work , this MUST be supported by SUBSTANTIAL caloric increase , sleep and recovery really must be "dialed in" so to speak or symptoms of over training (which I believe you are experiencing- loss of motivation , appetite , strength, ect...) will set in rather suddenly.
Because of this I would reccommend an SD (I know you hate the idea) to "clear the slate" from what could be an overtrained state - and then launch into Hst.
Personally I (over time) settled into using much less exersizes (sort of a simplify and win mentality) when using triples and hit each compound twice each week (as opposed to 3) , once hard and once with a higher rep "light day" , for instance with bench I would hit a 10x3 or 8x3 on monday then a 2x12 on thursday . I'm also only doing between 2 (at the least) and 4(at the most) movements each workout - but like I'v tried to make clear , triples are a different beast entirely and because fatigue is managed so efficiently (immediate fatigue) there can be the tendency to forget exactly how much load is being moved over the course of a workout as triples leave you feeling (in the short term anyway) like theres still a lot in the tank , unfortunately the CNS deficit incurred wont be felt in the immediate - and must be intuited and then figured in to volume , number of exersizes ect. or else over traaining will hit seemingly out of nowhere. Like I said also , caloric surplus absolutely MUST be a part of the cycle - believe it or not it is the number one thing that will make or break the cycle , beyond volume or sleep issues even ( although they must be on too), a superhuman ability to pack away the calories is really essential to enabling the recovery when doing high set/percentage triples for any sustained period of time.

Again -I'm sorry triples arent working out for you , they aren't for everybody...
sad.gif

Good post Russ; you got me to thinking and gave an idea:
If one of you guys who is good at excel or something similar were to make a spreadsheet workout, a totals blank could be incorporated that would calculate total tonnages for each exersize, and total the entire workouts as well.
That way you would have an immediate marker to go by; I think many of us don't do it merely because it's a pain to sit down and do all the math when we'd rather be drinking a shake and hitting the showers. I consider workload to be uber important over most everything else next to load itself.
Other ideas would include percentages for weight, loads and progression: a really smart program would automatically calculate your progress and make predictions, suggestions, and line out your next workout according to goals...
then pour your coffee, dry you off and rub your back.
wink.gif

Solfsun, I'm going to be hitting the 3s again soon so I will be taking on board Russ' advice to you and benefit from your recent experiences. It sucks when you can't get into a workout. One reason I have stuck with a more typical HST set-up is because I nearly always have a good workout. That counts for a lot, as constancy is an important factor in the game of growth.

Thanks for the great advice.  I think I may have progressed too quickly.   I just assumed it was OK to use my 80% max to start after a SD, but the SD actually brought my maxes down, so I was in reality starting over 80%...hope that made sense.  Food and consistency have been issues as well, so theres many factors coming into play here.

What I enjoyed was incorporating the tripes into HST.  I went from 15's to 10's to 3's which seemed to work well for me.  An entire cycle of tripes may just be too advanced for me at this point, or I may have just done it incorrectly.  I never did fully take your advice back in the beginning about rotating from the low rep to the high rep on consecutive workouts.  This may have burned me out as well.

The discouraging thing right now, for example, is that I was completing 10x3 at 245 on bench when it was at the end of HST.  Now, after a SD and starting the tripes, 215 is difficult for me to compete at even 8x3...is such a loss of strength possible??  I must admit that my lower body is responding quite well to the triples though.  My squats and deads feel great with triples, but this could also be partially due to the fact that I only recently added these exercises into my routine.  Anyway, live and learn.  Thanks again.

Lol,

I really think if you are using them at the end of your cycle, either post 5's or instead of 5's you'll have no problem. Doing them from scratch as an entire cycle is quite different though, at least in my experience. I really must say that HST has a good strictness to it, but also offers a nice variety with the rep changes...my workouts were pretty consistent as well
smile.gif

12/10/07

DL 255 lbs 5x5 PR
Pullups BW 8x3
BB Bench 185 lbs 3x8
EZ Bar Curl 90 lbs 8x3
Smith Shoulder Press 110 lbs 2x10

Big congrats on the deadlift PR soflsun. Now that you are getting more familiar with the movement, I am sure your deads will go from strength to strength and you will start reaping the benefits of the loading involved. Good job!

Call it what you want...SD...I'm a lazy fatt-ass...whatever

I've been totally inactive for approximately 6 weeks...starting back up tomorrow.

Any advice on where to start back at??  Traditional cycle??  Who even knows what kind of weight I can lift...I'm fat and soft.  Put on muscle quickly...lose muscle quickly; that's the way its always been for me.  Anyhow, glad to be back!

<div>
(soflsun @ Jan. 24 2008,18:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any advice on where to start back at?? Traditional cycle??</div>
Go with Vanilla...

Based on the exercises of your last routine, stick with a standard HST cycle with these:

soflsun's Vanilla HST Cycle
BB Bench
T-Bar Row (Neutral)
Seated DB Shoulder Press
Dips
DL
Pullups
*Squats - not sure if you had these or not, but you could consider alternating them with the deadlift

Back