Hypertrophy from a CHANGE in Load?

seangolden

Just wondering if anyone has or knows of any references or sources to hypertrophy resulting from a "relative change in load" as defined on HST.com (specifically the bolded part):

From: Strategic Deconditioning - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

At this point, it is necessary to either increase the load (Progressive load), or decrease the degree of conditioning to the load (Strategic Deconditioning). The muscle is sensitive not only to the absolute load, but also to the change in load (up or down). Therefore, you can get a hypertrophic effect from increasing the load from a previous load, even if the absolute load is not maximum, assuming conditioning (resistance to exercise induced micro-damage) is not to extensive. There is a limit to the number of increments you can add to increase the load. You simply reach your maximum voluntary strength eventually. This is why Strategic Deconditioning is required for continued growth once growth has stopped (all things remaining equal).

I am aware of the need to lay off the weights for a while if you are training very intensely for too long, so that you can fully recover and come back (hopefully) a little stronger than before.

But is there evidence that the muscle is also sensitive to a Change in load, rather than only adapting to the absolute load? Specifically referring to increasing the weights by 5 lbs or so every session for two weeks. IF one could handle it COMPLETELY (it's not "too much" for this particular individual), would not just using the ending weight the whole time induce more hypertrophy (more total "work")? References (None on the site I could find answered this question)?

Also, I know that over time, you need to progressively increase the weights. That's not what I am asking about here. I am questioning the acute nature of this idea.

I understand the underlying theory thoroughly, but I'm just looking for where this came from.

I appreciate any feedback you may have =). Thank you very much Brian for all your hard work and effort btw, I greatly appreciate it!

Have you read the sources that Bryan cites in his HST articles? Because pretty much everything he read to come to his conclusions is cited in his articles.

Of what I could find, the best "description" of the theory is in the Strategic Deconditioning Article, not surprisingly.

And I understand that the SD phase allows the sub-maximal weights to elicit a growth effect due to the "detraining" effect (involving the loss of enough of the protective connective tissue specifically).

I get that, and certain sources he mentions could point to that as well: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/908686 , http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1332088/ , etc.

However, this is not what I am asking about. I "trust" the SD theory enough and have seen evidence for it. What I am specifically referring to, is this statement:

The muscle is sensitive not only to the absolute load, but also to the change in load (up or down). Therefore, you can get a hypertrophic effect from increasing the load from a previous load, even if the absolute load is not maximum

I cannot seem to find evidence for this (in the short-term, as opposed to over time in general) in any reference he cites in any of the articles relating to this concept.

Any feedback (or hypotheses?) is greatly appreciated! =)

Back