Hypertrophy vs. Strength

TunnelRat2

Ivan Abadjiev + the Bulgarian Weightlifting System

http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=60

Zatsiorsky states that high threshold motor units are activated under two conditions, a single maximal repetition and the final repetition of a (maximum) set of multiple repetitions. However, the greater time under tension in a multiple repetition set increases both non functional hypertrophy and muscular fatigue. Non functional hypertrophy is an increase in the size of the muscle cell's sarcoplasm rather than the actual contractile unit, the sarcomere. This can push a lifter into a heavier weight class without a corresponding increase in strength.
"[T]he final repetition of a (maximum) set of multiple repetition" sounds a lot like the Norwegian Myo-reps.

I noticed the term "non functional hypertrophy". Does it seem likely that at some point a lifter would have to choose between greater size and greater strength? The usual argument is that one must get bigger in order to get stronger. Here Zatsiorsky suggests that sometimes getting bigger is not a help to getting stronger.

I don't think you'd have to worry about "non-functional" hypertrophy unless you were just doing high-volume high-rep exercise. With the types of workouts you do, I don't think that will be a problem at all. However, his point of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy possibly pushing a lifter into a higher weight class where suddenly they are up against much larger people than in the lower weight class could be a valid point. I don't really know right off hand how much extra poundage one could carry at max due to sarcoplasm?? I know I can easily fluctuate about 5 lbs myself either way, and while doing 15s back when I would do them religiously, I would gain 5 lbs easily the first week straight out of SD, but I don't know if taking it to extremes (ex. GVT) would cause you to hold a lot more or not.

high threshold motor units are activated under two conditions, a single maximal repetition and the final repetition of a (maximum) set of multiple repetitions.
This statement is incorrect
When you use heavy weight (>85%) high threshold motor units are recrueted from the first rep
When you use lighter weight you recruit them when you taking exercise close to failure/or complete failure - a few reps before then.
It's not one rep, not "on/off" switch

High threshold motor units are activated under two conditions, a single maximal repetition and the final repetition of a (maximum) set of multiple repetitions.
This statement is incorrect
When you use heavy weight (>85%) high threshold motor units are recrueted from the first rep
When you use lighter weight you recruit them when you taking exercise close to failure/or complete failure - a few reps before then.
It's not one rep, not "on/off" switch
Sorry, but didn't you just say nearly the same thing...?

No.
The original statement states that high threshold motor units gets reqruited only for one repetition
I said that there are more then one.

Ivan Abadjiev + the Bulgarian Weightlifting System

http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=60

"[T]he final repetition of a (maximum) set of multiple repetition" sounds a lot like the Norwegian Myo-reps.

I noticed the term "non functional hypertrophy". Does it seem likely that at some point a lifter would have to choose between greater size and greater strength? The usual argument is that one must get bigger in order to get stronger. Here Zatsiorsky suggests that sometimes getting bigger is not a help to getting stronger.

hi guys,,,
You need to concentrate on your training not to worry about non functional hypertrophy.The body will respond with a mix of strength and size (also hypertrophy) to any training regimen that represents a progression in stimuli for the particular goal.The thing that becomes bigger must become stronger.

Back