I see deadlifts...

As for the music thing; I read once that many russians lift to soft classical music...and we know that most americans lift to metal or rock...and it occurs to my insomnial brain this morning that the music should fit your pattern of mind.
The guys, who like me, psyche themselves into a rage or storm of some kind prefer raging music...maybe guys who like to quietly think themselves into perfect form and function would do better with quiet, inspiring music of that sort.
I myself have lifted successfully to acoustic blues and swing band music, because I love that stuff too. I was just in the mood I guess. The point is I suppose that whatever you listen to should be something you connect with emotionally, and makes you feel good.
Sorry for the hijack. Wish I could sleep!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The point is I suppose that whatever you listen to should be something you connect with emotionally, and makes you feel good.</div>

good...I'm glad to know that WHAM, ABBA, and The Village People's top hits are all perfectly acceptable

You're just too big to stay in that closet Steve!
laugh.gif
...and you gave up on Celine Dion?

Pulled a PR today..365 lb.s 'Troops of Doom' was playing by Sepultura...Brazil's best metal band ever. For those that never heard it, the percussion sounds like something from 'Lord of the Rings', playing timpani drums...the big kettle drums that you see in orchestras. Only accompanied by thrashing guitars!

Deadlifts used to scare me, but now they are my favorite lift by far. If I had to choose only one lift to do for the rest of my life, it would be these. The most intense, fullbody, CNS draining exercise out there!
cool.gif

sci,

i have up to this point been afraid of deadlifts as well, but have since joining this forum heard nothing raves about them, so i think i am going to add them into my next HST cycle. I am currently finishing up week two of 5's

do you use / recommend straps with the deadlifts?

I don't until I'm so heavy that grip is at risk. At least with deads you get a &quot;circulation break&quot; for a second at the bottom, unless you're doing continuous load, but that's not a deadlift, exactly.
I'd try chalk if I werent doing them in the living room. My lady would crap.

I use chalk for all sets now. I use straps for my heaviest work sets (180kgs+). They allow me to focus on the lifting and not on whether I can hold on for long enough to put the bar back down safely.

It's a good idea to work on your grip too but I don't think you should compromise your deadlift loads just because your grip lets you down.

I found putting deads at the beginning more satisfactory because my grip holds out better, before getting tired on all the other exercises.

Also, I'd guess if you feel that deads are going to rip your arms out of your sockets your form isn't that great - it sounds like there a bit too much yank, not enough controlled pull.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pulled a PR today..365 lb.s 'Troops of Doom' was playing by Sepultura...Brazil's best metal band ever.</div>

My gym's music choice was quite odd on Friday morning. I pulled a deadlift PR while The Carpenters' Rainy Days and Mondays was playing.

I used to be paranoid about deads, too. For years, I lived &amp; breathed under the assumption that deadlfits would make your waist bigger &amp; give you a more &quot;blocky&quot; look.

Now, I can't imagine a lifting regimen without them. I agree with many sentiments on this post...it is the single best exercise there is

Back