is milk bad for you?

Well, different fats do have different flavours, I expect due to the smell; taste is a whole lot more than just what's going on on your tongue. Then there's the consistency. Skim milk has the consistency of water.

Personally, I'd rather drink water and eat non-fat cottage cheese or non-fat yoghurt than force down skim milk. I'm happy to add skim milk to other things but I'm not going to drink it neat. It's probably fine in a shake with other stuff so I may need to try that when my bf% is lower.

I agree about the skim milk. I can eat it with cereal or in shakes, whatever, but I refuse to drink it straight. Ew.

Pussies...
smile.gif

How are you ever going to make it into single-digit bodyfat percentages drinking full cow milk?

I love skim milk BECAUSE it goes down like water.

When I started dating the woman who eventually became my wife she already had two kids and was feeding them whole milk, which is probably good for the kids when they were young. but once they got older I converted them all to skim milk. For about the first two months they hated it. But after that they really liked it and couldn't stand to even drink 2% because it seemed too thick.

Unfortunately I can't drink more than about 8 ounces of any kind of milk at a time because of lactose intolerance.

Even on a bulk I would never drink whole milk. I would rather get more healthy fats in my diet to make up any extra calories that may be necessary than ingest the fat that is in whole milk.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 07 2008,11:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pussies...  
smile.gif

How are you ever going to make it into single-digit bodyfat percentages drinking full cow milk?</div>
Lot's of cardio!  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

That's why I'm having to get a Concept II rower to complement my push bike.

At the end of the day, I'll just be drinking less milk than I do now. The macro breakdown for the stuff I drink is listed as:

Protein: 3.3g, Carbs: 4.7g, Fat: 3.55g per 100g for a total of 64Cals.

That works out to be:

Protein: 18.8g, Carbs: 26.7g, Fat: 20.2g per pint for a total of 364Cals.

(If you think my figures are up the Swanee it may be because of the difference between an Imperial pint and a US wet pint:

1 imperial pint ~= 568 ml
1 U.S. liquid pint ~= 473 ml

How annoying is that!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Even on a bulk I would never drink whole milk. I would rather get more healthy fats in my diet to make up any extra calories that may be necessary than ingest the fat that is in whole milk.</div>

is whole milk really that bad (in terms of fats)? i know its slightly higher in saturated fats, but not that much right? i was actually thinking of switching from low fat to whole milk as i'm bulking... good idea, bad idea??
rock.gif
fellow bulkers?
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> 1 imperial pint ~= 568 ml
1 U.S. liquid pint ~= 473 ml

How annoying is that! </div>

Very annoying. I detest the English measurement system. Both the United Kingdom and United States of America should switch over to metric.

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Jul. 08 2008,9:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">is whole milk really that bad (in terms of fats)? i know its slightly higher in saturated fats, but not that much right? i was actually thinking of switching from low fat to whole milk as i'm bulking... good idea, bad idea??
rock.gif
fellow bulkers?
biggrin.gif
</div>
Simon, all I can say is that to bulk I changed skim milk to whole milk and also changed diet sodas and juices to regular ones. It certainly helped by upping the calorie intake from the same amount of food/drink.

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 08 2008,9:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">to bulk I changed skim milk to whole milk and also changed diet sodas and juices to regular ones. It certainly helped by upping the calorie intake from the same amount of food/drink.</div>
And to cut, I did just the opposite...
smile.gif

8 oz. (American...) of skim milk:

80 calories
8 grams of protein
12 grams of carbs

8 oz. (American...) of whole milk:
150 calories
8 grams of protein
12 grams of carbs

That's an extra 70 calories per glass! Figure eight glasses of milk per day (you never outgrow your need for milk...); that comes to 560 calories -- more than a third of my cutting diet allowance!

[To be fair to Lol and Totz: I usually take my skim milk mixed with protein powder; it helps a lot with the taste.
sad.gif
]

cheers electric!

i just don't understand why whole milk gets such a bad sorta rep, it's not overloaded with sat fats is it? are there 'good' fats in whole milk as well?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's an extra 70 calories per glass! Figure eight glasses of milk per day (you never outgrow your need for milk...); that comes to 560 calories -- more than a third of my cutting diet allowance!</div>

I am one of the only ones who can find bulking success with skim milk!

There are omega-3s in grass fed cows and their milk is much healthier overall, but most milk in the superstores are grain fed.

The amount of saturated fat is what gives it the bad rep. We are just moving out of the phase that saturated fat is horrible and PUFAs are superduper. Its was just another idiotic overblown health trend where people dont look at the big picture to see what the real deal is.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Jul. 09 2008,9:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There are omega-3s in grass fed cows and their milk is much healthier overall, but most milk in the superstores are grain fed.

The amount of saturated fat is what gives it the bad rep. We are just moving out of the phase that saturated fat is horrible and PUFAs are superduper. Its was just another idiotic overblown health trend where people dont look at the big picture to see what the real deal is.</div>
It's too bad I cannot improve your user rating because that was such an honest and to the point series of simple statements.

I wish I could find some milk from grass fed cows, but the good stuff is not allowed to be sold commercially in grocery stores.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 09 2008,10:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's too bad I cannot improve your user rating</div>
There you go!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 09 2008,3:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wish I could find some milk from grass fed cows, but the good stuff is not allowed to be sold commercially in grocery stores.</div>
That's why I love our Devonshire milk (and we can get it in our grocery stores). It comes from local grass fed cows. It's the biz.

In the spring and summer, when the grass is lush, it's noticeably creamier but I guess in the winter the cows are fed on more dried food to supplement their diets. Sadly, the milk is all homogenised now so it's not possible to enjoy the top of the milk on a piece of apple pie the way my pop used to.

That last sentence was torture. I haven't had a pudding in weeks!
sad.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 09 2008,12:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sadly, the milk is all homogenised now so it's not possible to enjoy the top of the milk </div>
Thus the dear old Irish expression &quot;Top of the Morning to you&quot;. It referred to the cream on the top of the milk.
<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 09 2008,12:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
on a piece of apple pie the way my pop used to.

That last sentence was torture. I haven't had a pudding in weeks!
sad.gif
</div>
When you get to 195 lbs, you can have all the pudding you want (for one day only...!).

Milk, glorious milk. It's the one single cornerstone of my diet. Other things come and go, some things get switched out, some things get added to my shopping list. Milk is always there. At least two litres daily. Often more. On the question of skim vs. whole, of course whole is preferable tastewise. Now that I have to cut, I'll probably switch completely to skimmed (keeps the protein, cuts the total calories - nice).

Well i wish all you milk digesting sons of bitches luck. I was like you guys at one time, and now just seeing the carton makes me sick. Seriously though, this is one of those debates that'll never be over. It's weird but as i get older I find the whole idea of how we get cow's milk freaking disgusting. i think i might slowly be turning into a vegetarian. Only meat I've had this year is chicken, and even that's beginning to bother me now.

Well, the OP question was whether milk is bad for you or not? So I think the answer to that is that it depends on who 'you' are and what was meant by 'bad'. There's nothing in there that will do you harm directly (assuming any dangerous bacteria have been pasteurised to death) any more so than a whole load of different food products; the sat fat brigade would still like to tell you otherwise but the evidence doesn't stack up against it if the rest of your diet is pretty sensible and you are an active person (ie. you take regular exercise). If you react badly to milk (in which case you could say it's 'bad' for you personally) then you aren't going to be using it in your diet anyway.

@HSTRiggins: I would have to agree that the process by which we keep a regular supply of cow's milk in the food chain is not ideal; it would also be nice to see all cows living outdoors grazing in green pasture (it would be better still if everyone in the world had enough food for the day). But, whether or not we agree with the current intensive farming methods, the macro and micro nutrients in any dairy products are what they are; surely, how we react to them individually determines whether they are bad for 'us' or not?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well i wish all you milk digesting sons of bitches luck. I was like you guys at one time, and now just seeing the carton makes me sick. Seriously though, this is one of those debates that'll never be over. It's weird but as i get older I find the whole idea of how we get cow's milk freaking disgusting. i think i might slowly be turning into a vegetarian. Only meat I've had this year is chicken, and even that's beginning to bother me now. </div>

You migt be right as anything but that attitude ain't going to get any disciples!
wink.gif
Vegetarian is probably the way to go, but...really? That's no way no address the crowd, mate!

Back