is milk bad for you?

i was just kiding, i like everyone here. It's just jealousy that i can't have a lot things i used to be able to. I once heard a comedian say a funny thing, "You won't find anyone lactose intollerant in Ethiopia".

I wonder if the food here made me allergic to milk. I grew up in Poland for the first 12 years of my life and I never heard or seen anyone allergic to milk or really anything else. Untill i came here I never heard of people not being able to digest milk, or being allergic to peanuts. Maybe it's because everything there was so fresh from local farms. I used to drink milk daily, but it was freshly milked from the cow in the back yard
smile.gif

Ok, I guess its just the language then...not used to much of that around this website!
wink.gif

Sometimes its best to just find out why! Seeing that you are "stuck", there, its not a bad place to be apparently! Ironically I have been drinking soy milk for a while now, can't see or tell the difference just yet!

Look, here's something thatmay interest you, some people have called him a quack but I'd be careful to do that, to me he's wise and informed!

Dr. McDougal on milk

and

is milk healthy?

Enjoy...mate!
cool.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jul. 12 2008,5:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ironically I have been drinking soy milk for a while now, can't see or tell the difference just yet!</div>
Except, perhaps, for growing tits...
wink.gif

I would hesitate to take anything from mercola.com as valuable information. I mean, seriously, that page has such gems as:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It is highly likely that IGF-1 promotes the transformation of human breast cells to cancerous forms. IGF-1 is also a growth factor for already cancerous breast and colon cancer cells, promoting their progression and invasiveness.</div>

This explains all the bodybuilders with breast cancer, I guess.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Synthetic vitamin D, known to be toxic to the liver, is added to replace the natural vitamin D complex in butterfat</div>

No. In fact, &quot;synthetic&quot; vitamin D has been shown in some places to have preventative effects for cancer.

I really don't understand this whole crusade against pasteurization. People apparently don't understand the enormous positive impact this development had on the world. Considering the massive amount of diseases that pasteurization helps prevent (According to wikipedia: tuberculosis, diphtheria, polio, salmonella, strep throat, scarlet fever, and typhoid fever to name a few) it's a no brainer.
For gods sake, what will be next? Will they be suggesting that we no longer wash our hands, which destroys all the &quot;beneficial&quot; bacteria that we pick up from day to day contact with various surfaces, other people, etc? Let's just stop all sanitization in general, end all vaccinations and go back to having only a 30-50 year life average life expectancy.

Ok Tot

you've made your point...I guess I was a bit sleepy and did not check this thouroughly.

Obviously pasteurization cannot be the culprit, it is definitelly something else, I was just trying to support our friend Hstriggings.
wink.gif

<div>
(Dr. McDougal @ When Friends Ask: &quot;Why Don’t You Drink Milk?&quot;)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

After almost three years of exhaustive research I concluded: adding dairy foods to my original plant-food-based diet would only supply more calories, fat, animal protein, cholesterol, sodium, microbes, and chemical contamination—ingredients that were making most of my patients ill in the first place.  

In the final analysis, I found myself unable to discover any reasons to add dairy into the McDougall Diet—the hazards weighed heavily and any benefits were overstated, or blatantly falsified.  

Yet the drone from the dairy industry’s propaganda continues three decades later.  I am the uncommon voice out there in the wilderness; people tired of listening without questioning will find my analysis of some of the dairy industry’s most familiar messages refreshing.</div>

He certainly has enough references:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
References: Dr. McDougal

1) Add flavorings to milk: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/nationa....nes.pdf

2) Dairy positively affects bone health by:  http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/NationalDairyCouncil/Health/Digest/dcd75-3Page1.htm

3)  J Pennington.  Bowes &amp; Church’s Food Values of Portions Commonly Used.  17th Ed. Lippincott. Philadelphia- New York. 1998.

4 Cadogan J,Eastell R, Jones N, Barker ME. Milk intake and bone mineral acquisition in adolescent girls: randomised, controlled intervention trial. BMJ. 1997 Nov 15;315(7118):1255-60.

5) Heaney RP, McCarron DA, Dawson-Hughes B, Oparil S, Berga SL, Stern JS, Barr SI, Rosen CJ. Dietary changes favorably affect bone remodeling in older adults. J Am Diet Assoc. 1999 Oct;99(10):1228-33.

6) Moschos SJ, Mantzoros CS. The role of the IGF system in cancer: from basic to clinical studies and clinical applications. Oncology. 2002;63(4):317-32.

7) Rincon M, Rudin E, Barzilai N. The insulin/IGF-1 signaling in mammals and its relevance to human longevity. Exp Gerontol. 2005 Nov;40(11):873-7.

8) Sharpe R.  Are oestrogens involved in falling sperm counts and disorders of the male reproductive tract? Lancet 341:1392, 1993.

9)  Janowski T.  Mammary secretion of oestrogens in the cow.  Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2002 Jul;23(1-2):125-37.

10) No evidence dairy foods adversely impact calcium balance or bone health: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/Nationa....ge1.htm

11) Excess dietary protein, particularly purified proteins: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/Nationa....ge1.htm

12) New SA.  Calcium, protein, and fruit and vegetables as dietary determinants of bone health.  Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 May;77(5):1340-1.

13) )  Remer T. Potential renal acid load of foods and its influence on urine pH.  J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul;95(7):791-7.

14) Abelow B.  Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: a hypothesis.  Calcific Tissue Int 50:14-8, 1992.

15) Frassetto LA .  Worldwide incidence of hip fracture in elderly women: relation to consumption of animal and vegetable foods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000 Oct;55(10):M585-92.

16) 3-A-Day of Dairy as part of a reduced calorie diet: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/nationaldairycouncil/healthyweight

17) Barr SI.  Increased dairy product or calcium intake: is body weight or composition affected in humans? J Nutr. 2003 Jan;133(1):245S-248S.

18)  Minorities who have experienced gastrointestinal problems: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/nationa....nce.pdf

19)  Lanou AJ. Bone health in children. BMJ. 2006 Oct 14;333(7572):763-4.

20)  Griffith LE, Guyatt GH, Cook RJ, Bucher HC, Cook DJ.  The influence of dietary and nondietary calcium supplementation on blood pressure: an updated metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Hypertens. 1999 Jan;12(1 Pt 1):84-92.

21)  Dairy Industry Spends 206.5 million: http://www.dairycheckoff.com/NR/rdonlyres/
8556915B-BDF6-4CAA-8D41-48AF5C3FA0FF/0/2005dmiannualreport.pdf.
</div>

Besides as a microbiologist I should know better...I guess I'll just remove that source!  

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 12 2008,6:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Except, perhaps, for growing tits...  </div>

No...I don't think that is about to happen, now really...how much oestrogen do you think I'd need to get into that? I think it'd be easier to get from steroid abuse which causes reverse reactions such as excess female hormone production! Besides I am drinking what...about 100 ml per day, maybe a littloe more with my porridge! Not enough to get tits, my dear friend!
laugh.gif

Yep Aaron

I'm glad you say so, someone has called Dr. McDougal a quack before but I think he has done some good and valuable work and has many points IMO.

Anyway, good to see that at least one reliable source says so!
biggrin.gif

I heard the carbs in milk don't replenish muscle glycogen only liver glycogen...making the carbs rather pointless in terms of refueling muscle stores. Anyone read anything on this?

I chose the biological pathway to describe what happens (sorry for the med speak):

Milk carbohydrate, lactose, is made up by galactose and glucose. The enzyme lactase will break this bond in the intestines.

In the liver, the enzyme galactokinase will convert galactose to galactose-1-phosphate. Uridine diphosphoglucose (UDPG) react with galactose-1-phosphate by using UDPG-gal-1-phosphate transferase and the end result is glucose-1-phosphate (Galactose has been converted into a form of glucose).

Glucose-1-phosphate is combined with uridine triphosphate (UTP) to form uridine diphosphate glucose  (UDP-glucose). With the help of glycogen synthase UDP-glucose can be added to a growing glycogen molecule (Thus galactose ends up as liver glycogen).

That is half the story (or one third): Part of the glucose load is stored as glycogen and part oxidized completely to CO2 and drives ATP production.  Excess carbohydrates are converted to fatty acids and exported as triglycerides.

So what? In one u.s. gallon (approx. 3.8 liter) of milk, there is 190 grams of carbs - 95 g galactose and 95 g glucose. As liver storage capacity is in the range of 80-100 g we are nearly in the safe zone. But, who drinks one gallon at once?!?!  
rock.gif
 (I drink 1.75 liter of milk a day... but not at once... ) I guestimate that the galactose in one meal will not, by itself, fill up liver glycogen stores.

But again, what if liver glycogen storage is already filled when we drink a lot of milk? I do not know the mechanisms that convert glucose-1-phosphate into anything other when the body is in the fed state. So, here I pass the task over to somebody else, more knowledgeable in the inner workings of carbohydrate metabolism...  
wink.gif

If I am not entirely off target, I would go easy with milk after consuming a lot of carbohydrates... Galactose won't be transported into skeletal muscle anyhow, so it must go through the liver in the first place.

Milk is perfect for keeping the liver from going catabolic on you (i.e. protein sparing) as you can tell from the above, so it's a good choice on a cut (low fat that is).

<div>
(NightOp @ Nov. 05 2002,11:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I still don't buy it !!
smile.gif
sorry, but I'm not gonna stop drinking milk.

If you aren't lactose intolerant and don't have any gas/digestion problems from it, then go for it... the first article seems to wander around treating milk as if it should not be consumed simply because there are better sources of calcium.... who cares, it is a cheap/fast source of slow release protein (think great for anti-catabolic meals/times) and has roughly 13 grams of carbs per serving, which despite their &quot;simple/sugar&quot; label, they are actually more like complex carbs (&quot;slow&quot; so to speak).

I do however, agree with those articles' negative view on modern food processing.... We eat so much crap even when we are eating as properly as possible using modern foods.... I'm a big fan of local health food stores and buying fruits/veggies at farmers markets.

Magnesium and Calcium utilize the same pathways/carriers, thats why its always good to consider supplementing with a little extra magnesium at a time apart from any calcium intake... before bed is a great time, as it also aids in sleep/recovery. Although, recently, I've been hearing/reading that the problems with Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc absorbtion (in presence of each other) are not as substantial or &quot;real&quot; as many presumed.</div>
good post!

milk is the least of our worries, when you consider all the other crap thats out there.

<div>
(BenReffell @ Jul. 06 2008,5:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can't live without some milk in my shakes so I switched to Goats milk (it's A2 type protein), it improved my sinuses. However I discovered that it was not cows milk per se that was the problem, it was milk from the cows currently used to produce our milk e.g. Jersey &amp; Frisian-Holstein as they produced A1 milk (% of cows with this trait varies by breed), this A1 type of protein has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, autism and even schizophrenia (though others argue not).</div>
You really need to throw away the PETA newsletter and get with real life. I happen to have Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism. I have been this way since birth, as every other person in the world with autism. It is genetically linked, not caused by outside influences, though it may be aggravated by them.

Milk does not cause autism. Bread does not cause autism. Mercury in vaccines does not cause autism. Eating ribeye steak does not cause autism.

It amazes me just how far the PETA propaganda goes. This comes from a group so insane they tried to get Ben &amp; Jerry's to start using human breast milk in their ice cream instead of cow's milk.

PETA has used everything they can come up with to push their extreme agendas, and now they're exploiting people with autism. Have you seen their ads? They're HIGHLY offensive to ppl with autism, showing it as something negative and sad.

Don't get me started on this, because trust me I didn't.

Here is an easy way to test if milk is bad for you:

1. Look in the mirror, are you a) a bovine b) a baby

If you answer no to either than yes milk is bad

just messing with you...like they stated above lactose not so great...but about 80% of todays diet is not good for you. Raw potatoes and wheat are poisonous.

My most successful bulk was achieved by (among other things) drinking copious amounts of milk. I didn't and do not have any of the so mentioned counter-effects. Although that's not really scientific evidence, it works for me.

hey guys long time no see!

I still fail to see how whole/full-cream milk is 'bad' for you...
rock.gif

can someone refer me to some sort of link (based on reality and not traditional myth-like arguments) that states EXACTLY whether saturated fats are bad for you (or a certain amount is bad for you)? thanks muchly if someone can!

Back