Jujitsu and MMA training

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys i just finished my 2nd class last night of mma training.

Does anyone here train in jujitsu or mma???

If so I have a couple of questions to ask if anyone doesn't mind.

Thanks

What kind of questions? I'm not into ju jitsu or any other ground fighting aside from good old wrestling but I'm experienced with other types of fighting in adjunct with weight training.

Joe,

I trained for over 10 years in a Hungarian street fighting style (Jakab) which has a lot of 'angles' including kickboxing, ground fighting, and different wrestling aspects (including Greco-Roman)
I also did Kung Fu and Tai Jitsu (similar to Ju Jitsu)

I used to train weights for no more than half an hour - HIT style - in the afternoons (Mon/Wed/Fri)
relax for a couple of hours and eat..
and then hit the martial arts classes in the evening.
Most classes were 2hrs, and included an aerobic session, a bit like 'boxercise'...

I certainly didn't get fat. I found the weights complemented the MA, and I got quite good definition.
I couldnt put on the muscle size that I wanted though, but thats probably down to poor and insufficient diet at the time.

If I were to do both again now, I'd certainly ramp up my calories, and protein.

Sadly I gave up MA by about 2002 - just when I started HST! -due to family and work commitments...

I do miss a good fight though!!!

Brix

My questions were not so much related to muscle or training...but simply what was everyone expierence with mma and jujitsu.

I had my 2nd class today 3rd MMA class and to be honest.....I was really excited about training MMA and now after 3 classes...I have a love / hate relationship with it.

What I mean is we train for about 1.5 hours...and its old school NO air conditioning and a hell of a cardio workout.

I love that part of it...but the jujitsu part to be honest is kind of boring so far.

First off its very complicated from the standpoint that you take 1 hour or more to learn 1 to 2 moves....so I guess like a lot of things I thought it would come a little quicker on the learning curve.

So I WANT to keep training it...but reality is so far ....I am just not that interested.

Its weird...I have never WANTED to do something but then when I do it...to find out that I am not that into it....but I want quit due to be stubborn and not wanting to quit.

So I was wondering if this is how Martial arts starts out...and I need to just give it some time to get interesting and fun...or if maybe its me and its just not my thing.

Its how ground fighting starts out.  Grappling can have a steep learning curve.  If you think you can learn faster browse a different school like Tot says.

I for one dislike going to an MA session only to do exercises I can perform at home or in the gym.  Furthermore if the instructor is having his class do this before skill lessons its a major negative for me.  You should always train skills when you are fresh.  Save the grueling workout for last.  Otherwise bad habits tend to get learned.  Not to be cliche but Bruce Lee wrote on this and quite frankly, he was right.  Endurance training should come last in a session.

A lot of learning is visual and much of it is tactile.  Those techniques have to become habitual before you can begin to play on a tactical level where he is doing X and you are doing Y to counter, etc.  That being said a lot of repetition is necessary on a variety of opponents to become proficient at each maneuver.  I'm sure Tot will agree with me on these things.  If you are given time to spar or just grapple try to set up and execute the various techniques you have learned.  A good athlete is never just practicing, never just training.  He is continually applying himself to getting better.  Each repetition of a stroke is given thought before the next one is attempted.  When you spar or grapple don't just spar or grapple; don't just fight.  Its learning time, not fighting time.  Don't be concerned of with win or loss, save that for competition.  Just be concerned with improving over your previous attempts.

Hope that helps?

Sorry for any confusion...we are not doing endurance training at all...until the end.

And then is optional since I am a beginner.

what I was bascially saying is that the 1.5 hour class is a lot more techinical with positions than I thought.

In other words it was pretty hard to remember the step by step what we had learned. Reality was 1st class was 45 minutes of boredom (learning a move / basics) to 15 minutes of fun.

However I went back for my 2nd and 3rd class and they were similar but a little better.

I guess I didnt realize that jujitsu learning curve was very slow and steep. When I boxed in the past I could learn the fundamentals in about 1 month of training. Then It would take months / years to get the fundamentals honed...but still the fact was you could learn the footwork and bag work correctly in about a month or so.

Jujitsu so far after 3 classes tends to look like it is going to take years to get the art down.

That was my major question is if anyone here can tell me if this stuff eventually starts to come a lot easier.

I am trying my *** off in class and again the learning curve is steep...so I was hoping someone had some expierence in this and would maybe tell me after a month or two is comes easier...or maybe....it doesnt???

Joe,

I did Tai jutsu, many years ago. Its quite similar to ju jitsu, in that it has a lot of locks and take downs, and throws, etc...

Yeah - these Arts (Tai Jutsu, Ju jitsu, Aikido, and other similar) are harder and slower to learn, by the nature of the sometimes complex techniques.

Striking arts like boxing (of which I also trained for a few years) wing chun, karate, Krav Maga, and others, tend to be slightly quicker, and maybe 'more fun' (as you see the results quicker?) to learn.
The motor skills kick in quicker, as its a less complicated movement to practise and learn.

The bottom line is, if you dont enjoy what you're doing, you wont fully benefit or appreciate it, so try something else?
And as for a 'street' point of view... whatever you choose to learn practise and train in, is pretty much just as effective as anything else... once you're natural at it...
No one martial art is any much better than any other...

Just find the one you like and stick with it!

Brix

I did BJJ for two years and earned a blue belt.

Give it time. You'll learn all the moves probably in six months to a year of regular training. However, knowing the moves and being able to perform them against a resisting opponent are two VERY different things.

Repetition is key. You have to drill the positions and moves. You don't have time to think my arm should be here, move my hips this way.... no, you need to be able to perform the move.

Think of it like squating, probably don't have to think about every little detail like you did when you were learning the move.

Feel free to PM with any additional questions.

Back