Just got back from a Kevin Levrone seminar.

VIPER

I just got back home from a 24 hour fitness semiar and Kevin Levrone was the guest speaker. First off, he is a nice guy so I'm not disappointed in him as a person. I just figured a bodybuilder with as many wins as he has under his belt, on top of having an incredible impressive physique would know a whole lot more about nutrition.

I got to tell you my mouth almost dropped to the floor with the kind of stuff being said. Many of the simple nutrition facts weren't clarified very good either. Many people there were hoping to gain a lot of insight regarding fitness/nutrition but they were kind of being misguided in a way. Some of the things he said were really corny, and I almost wanted to go up there and get another microphone so I could speak.

Like I said, a lot of people at the seminar are not very experienced and don't know much about diet or training. They are the one's that need the most help and these people seemed like they were taking everything he said like it was written in stone. I bet many people there are going to go home and try the things he said.

Since he stopped competing he has lost a lot of weight. He said he weighs about 212 right now and is focusing more on shape since he is an aspiring actor. Loosing weight and getting into shape was the focus of most of the seminar. The problem though is that he didn't focus on calories much at all. He kind of beat around the bush when talking about nutrition in general. He said that if you eat fat, you'll get fat. I was like woooooooooohhhhh, back it up. He also said he "probably" eats around zero carbs
dozingoff.gif
. I don't think so! He was also explaining that if you run in the morning on an empty stomach you'll loose about 5-6 pounds in a week. He also said to keep the carbs lower than the protein. I almost stopped paying attention by then but I was curious what he was going to say next. I respect him greatly, and admire his physique but I found it weird that he didn't know much.

He had his trainer there as well sitting next to him, but he seemed to know a little more than him but still not impressive. He did admit that the trainer knew more than he does, but it still suprised me you know. Every time a question that the audience asked and was a little more on the science side he would let the trainer answer but the trainer would even answer it directly.

By the end of the seminar they were talking about meals and then came out the supplements that 24 hour really pushes because they say it's the best. I thing Kevin may have done the seminar for free but the gym was sure trying to sell supplements, and definitely personal training sessions. The funny thing too was the questions that the trainers at the gym were asking. They should have already known the asweres to them, but some of them did know there stuff which was a relief. I realize a gym is still a business so sell what you want. I just think it sucks for the people that are some uneducated in this field are still not getting answers.

I'll probably think of more later but it's hard to think of all the stuff talked about.

One of the reasons people shouldn't use pro bb's as examples of how to get big. Genetics and steriods work wonders.
This is why I jump on Vince whenver he pops in and says we should look at how the pros train in order to learn how to generate maximum gains.

My mate was telling me about when he went to a Lou Ferrigno seminar. Said he was massive.Also said he was charging £20 an autograph and his son was kickn the back of his chair, so he ran after him until he went and told his dad!
butbut.gif

Vince has his mindset and it will never change, and GOD love him he definately brings out the replys.

It is amazing to me on how even old BB like Columbo and Arnold can still sit back and preach their knowledge. Has anyone read Columbo's Nutrition book? Laughable and he got his doctrate ?? Same with Arnie's Book, my god look at his advanced training programs Same Set Pyramiding, Tons and Tons of Volume, I would flat out die
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Feb. 26 2005,8:40)]Has anyone read Columbo's Nutrition book? Laughable and he got his doctrate ?? Same with Arnie's Book, my god look at his advanced training programs Same Set Pyramiding, Tons and Tons of Volume, I would flat out die
sad.gif
Yeah, exactly. I amazes me that these people make a nice living like this. I think they deserve the attention they get because of the accomplishments they made in bodybuidling, but man that might be it, haha. I'd figure athletes in general would want to learn as much as possible about their body considering their income is depended upon it.

We didn't get charged for the autographs, and there were some free supplement bars so that was good.

Well I did Arnies routines for a couple of months and they were hard work. Was a while back now but I can remember being nakered due to the shear amount of compound exercises,I mean doing clean and jerks (four sets of 10) is unbelievably hard in its self and tjhats just a tiny part of the routine.
Im still very new to HST so Im used to (like most bbers) doin lots of sets. At the time though I was definitly puttin muscle on tho, but I rekon you will with most routines if you eat enuff.
As far as the two of them writing books, I doubt theyve even read them,if u really want il go and get my Anie book and tell you who was the ghost writer? If by Columbo, u mean Franco Columbu, isnt he a chiropractor, nout to do with food. Was always one of my favourite bbers nd how many of us would let are name be given to a half decent book for 1000s of £s? lots

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VIPER @ Feb. 22 2005,10:19)]I respect him greatly, and admire his physique but I found it weird that he didn't know much.

He had his trainer there as well sitting next to him, but he seemed to know a little more than him but still not impressive.
As you already know, steroids have become a huge crutch as far as education of the average aspiring bodybuilder goes. I mean really, if you are going to use steroids, what's there to know? Figure out how much you need and where to get it, use it safely, eat enough, train enough and eventually you will be what most people consider "huge". If you also happen to have good shape (thanks Mom and Dad) you may just wind up winning pro shows and trying to make a brief living at it.

All of this talk that we do on a board like this isn't really necessary for a guy who's serious about pro bodybuilding. BY serious I mean a guy who knows what it takes and is willing to do it.

I'm not saying that knowing how best to train and eat and supplement isn't usefull (take Blade and Boris for example), I'm just saying it isn't necessary. I used to do interviews with pro-bodybuilders for a magazine a few years back. In all the interviews I did I found only one guy who acknowledged what pro-BBing is really about. Everybody else went on and on like they were reading straight out of the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness. Like, "flex at the top to build a peak on your biceps". As far as training goes, they are ALL over the map. Nobody trains the same yet they all look the same. Which means, their training isn't the primary factor producing their results.

Alright, I'm just rambling now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Mar. 09 2005,2:35)]As far as training goes, they are ALL over the map. Nobody trains the same yet they all look the same. Which means, their training isn't the primary factor producing their results.
Thank you for saying that. Next time Vince shows up talking about the "secret" training methods that the pros must be using to get big, I'm going to link him to this post. Not that it will do anything to change his mind...
laugh.gif

You said it right Bryan. I find it funny though that it relates to most "big" people in the gym as well as pro bodybuilders. I have been on plenty of exercise machines, using dumbells, or just waiting between sets at times where I have seen a ton of people come up to the "big" person in the gym and ask him or her secret. The normal response is full of total garbage that doesn't have much to do about anything at all. Sometimes I feel like just going "here, that's an intro to Biology book to get you started."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VIPER @ Mar. 10 2005,12:23)]I have seen a ton of people come up to the "big" person in the gym and ask him or her secret.
Sometimes I feel like just going "here, that's an intro to Biology book to get you started."
Playing my favourite role of provoking debate ;)

In all honesty, who you gona listen too???
Its like taking advice about football from Ronaldinho or the Professor of football at Oxford. Be honest who would YOU listen to??

I mean I bet if there was an accurate picture of each of us nxt to each one of our posts, the bigger ones (although maybe less knowledgable in the science of things) would get more responses. Its human nature to look at those who have done it and enquire.

Youve got to get the balance, huge people dont get that big by mistake, even those on every last steroid need some knowledge. At the same time massive people make mistakes and wont change their ways.

Point is we cant just dismiss people because they dont follow HST ideas or arent Proffesors, most sportsmen(and women ;) ) arent, doesnt mean their clueless in their field. :D

Gona keep goin on this rant....

Fact is there aint much to know about bbing anyway.

I mean if you can get through to a nubie....

1/ in order to put on muscle youve gota change your lifestyle to focus on this goal
2/ you gota eat loadsa good food, take supplements and sleep a lot
3/ you gota train hard, without days off whenever you fancy it
4/ its hard and it takes years

Thats the top and bottom of it (maybe a tad abreviated) and while programs like HST may aid in the growth of muscle, if the above aint followed you aint gona get bigger. I mean I (even stupid lil me) could write a book on all the the tips iv heard, variations in ideas and philosophies but it all comes down to the above, and im pretty sure the finer details make virtually no difference to the average person (eg whether they do lat pulldown or chins ups, or consume pasta or rice).

Therefore I also believe (seeing as im on a role here) that top of the FAQs post should be 'The Key to Size' post, for nubies (and others) just to see in big bullet points a couple of short key points (not surrounded in complicated science) that should be realised no matter what routine you partake in. Because if you cant grasp these your wasting your time!!

Thankyou for you time
laugh.gif

Good to see how a post evolves (i didnt mention Kev Levrone once....... although his band is great, I recomend you buy burning bridges in my head, like to here your views on that)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian @ Mar. 11 2005,12:29)]Youve got to get the balance, huge people dont get that big by mistake, even those on every last steroid need some knowledge.
A lot of pro bodybuilders have little clues about anything, they ahve minders, nutritionists endocrinologists, trainers etc...

A lot when starting steroids have very little even basic knowledge about them, and most just go into the gym and lift stuff haphazardly.. .(instinctive training prinicpal, joe weirder(sic) taught me that)

Were gona have to agree to disagree here Aron
laugh.gif

In my opinion....

Pro bbers may in the end have 'minders, nutritionists endocrinologists, trainers' etc, but this can only occur when fine tuning an already massive physique. It would be difficult to afford this kind of money and commitment if one wasnt already a top Pro, and I refuse to believe that you can 'stumble' opon this kind of size without any knowledge.

Im unsure about the steroids comment too. Think it goes both ways.
On the one hand I will agree that a lot of people take steroids with out a clue about them, just as most of us started going to the gym without really knowing our stuff. But on the other hand (like with most of us) after a certain point, most people take more of a academic approach to their training and steroids.

I have held conversations with bouncers (doormen) whom I presumed had no knowledge of pretty much anything, only to be WOWed by the science they can come up with when discussing steroids.

If you go down any gym 99% of people will not be using HST, and will be making good gains + I know many people that use techniques like the instinctive training principle and do very well.
Anway thats just my view, cant just dismiss anyone that doesnt use HST as stupid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian @ Mar. 11 2005,10:48)]Anway thats just my view, cant just dismiss anyone that doesnt use HST as stupid.
Yeah, I have no problem that people are making gains instinctively. Some people in the gym are definitely using the ideology of HST though, but it's just not to the extent that we use it here. I don't think everyone needs to be a wiz or anything, but it would be nice for people(mostly individuals who are interested in working out) to know atleast things like protein isn't just used to build muscle tissue in the body.

Aaron, I definitely agree with you. The "Weirder" joke was histarical when I read that. I almost didn't catch it because it was so subtle.

Once again, I have nothing wrong with Kevin. He's a great bodybuilder and accomplished a WHOLE lot. He does know things about bodybuilding, nutrition, etc but just not near to the extent I thought.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian @ Mar. 12 2005,7:48)]Were gona have to agree to disagree here Aron
laugh.gif

In my opinion....
Pro bbers may in the end have 'minders, nutritionists endocrinologists, trainers' etc, but this can only occur when fine tuning an already massive physique. It would be difficult to afford this kind of money and commitment if one wasnt already a top Pro, and I refuse to believe that you can 'stumble' opon this kind of size without any knowledge.
Some of hte stupiest people i have met, are the largest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Im unsure about the steroids comment too. Think it goes both ways.
On the one hand I will agree that a lot of people take steroids with out a clue about them, just as most of us started going to the gym without really knowing our stuff. But on the other hand (like with most of us) after a certain point, most people take more of a academic approach to their training and steroids.
I have held conversations with bouncers (doormen) whom I presumed had no knowledge of pretty much anything, only to be WOWed by the science they can come up with when discussing steroids.
Few and far between.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you go down any gym 99% of people will not be using HST, and will be making good gains + I know many people that use techniques like the instinctive training principle and do very well.
99.99% of the people in the gym will not be making any gains. Instinctive training prinicpal works if it allows you to progressively overload with out overtraining.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anway thats just my view, cant just dismiss anyone that doesnt use HST as stupid.
1) whoever said that?
2) better bloody not be, because I dont train HST

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im unsure about the steroids comment too. Think it goes both ways.

Steroids are the equiv. of taking an F1 car from today, and transporting it back 30 years to use in a Grand Prix.

- How do you think your body develops over the first few years of life, when you hit puberty? Increased hormone (re: steroid) levels. I'm not saying that you put on 30kgs of muscle or anything when you hit 13-14, but it IS an exmaple of biologically/physiologically powerful these compounds are.

Lol, what have I done??

1/ Jester, not really sure what your comment has to do with my post. I realise steroids can increase everything in the gym (ie size, strength, rippedness and stamina). All im saying is I that I rekon pro bbers know what there taking, as do many people that have been taking steroids for some time.

2/ Aron... calm down man im sorry, didnt mean to offend. As I said were just gona have to agree to disagree.

3/ Your making a lot a generalisations, there are stupid people everywhere (im sure you say I was one
dozingoff.gif
), I am always amazed how stupid people where in university and they were all meant to be intelligent (although I will give you the gym is not a playground for scholars
laugh.gif
)

4/ I dont understand how you can say99.99% of people in the gym arent making gains? That may be true of part-timers, but if you go in any of the gyms by myn, a lot of the people there train hard and regulary and make great gains.

5/ and finally, what training techniques do you use then??

Thankyou
laugh.gif

Please dont get mad again

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1/ Jester, not really sure what your comment has to do with my post. I realise steroids can increase everything in the gym (ie size, strength, rippedness and stamina). All im saying is I that I rekon pro bbers know what there taking, as do many people that have been taking steroids for some time

Just trying to make the point that you don't have to know the exact science of what you're taking in order to get an effect, when it comes to steroids - look @ Sergio, Arnold, Mentzer, Franco . . . they had FAR less information about the steroids they used but still played trial&error until they got the right effect. That's how powerful they are. So once you get to a certain stage, you open up doors for more info, training, helpers etc.

Yeah fair enuff, I heard that Arnie and the gang just used to have a handfull of whatever they fancied and there wasnt much science behind it. Dunno who i heard that off, prob just made it up.

Back