Larry Scott

Just a question, do the guys who compete in the strongman competition's on CNN use drugs? These guys are all huge. I've noticed that many of them have scandinavian/northern European heritage.

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 04 2007,17:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just a question, do the guys who compete in the strongman competition's on CNN use drugs? These guys are all huge. I've noticed that many of them have scandinavian/northern European heritage.</div>
No. Clearly, they employ squats and milk. Yup...squats and milk. And Pudz is ripped whilst eating chips and whatever(in significant quantities) because he does HIIT:)(BTW, I`m joking, the odds of them being clean are slim to none...although the dosages and the assortment of drugs employed by PLers/strongmen are significantly reduced from your typical &quot;get everything and the sink in&quot; bber. They focus mostly on test, and maybe dabble with some orals, but no GH, IGF, insulin and so on).

<div>
(stevejones @ Jul. 04 2007,01:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 03 2007,19:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think Pax was a natty.  http://www.octamedia.com/features/2255.html</div>
That guy looks pretty awesome.  I hope I look half as good when I'm his age.  Can't say much for his taste in clothes though.</div>
Good crikey...how about his 57 year old wife!!  I hope my wife looks that good at 57!

http://archives.octamedia.com/gpgs.aspx?pgid=5994271&amp;e=0&amp;p=0

Didn't read much at his site, just checked out the pics, but this guy was probably doing bb'g long b/4 it was fasionable.  I imagine a lot of guys looked at him crosseyed in the 1960s when he would train in his back yard.

Kudos to Pax Beale for his work, but I never quite liked his physique...dunno exactly why. There was this Turner something dude...owned a gym/a chain of gyms or something like that, who looked great, at a similarly respectable age.

And Nubret also looked quite good a few years ago...going over the fact that I think he`s a moronic moron, he looked great, and in his prime his physique was top-notch.

morgorth,not knowing that much about roids myself do you think these ex bbrs who still look good,are still on roids of some sort,and if not how much of the muscle you gained through roids would you retain.

<div>
(faz @ Jul. 05 2007,11:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">morgorth,not knowing that much about roids myself do you think these ex bbrs who still look good,are still on roids of some sort,and if not how much of the muscle you gained through roids would you retain.</div>
You`ve really found the person to ask, I know about jacksquat about roids:D

That being said, since anyone can have an opinion(just like anyone has an *******), here's mine:I`m quite sure that some(ok most) of these ex-bbers are still using some test, at least. Why?Because after a certain point in life it goes down the drain, even if you`re genetically gifted like they were, and no ammount of lactate training, raw meat eating, full-moon wanking or whatever will bump it up again. I also think that the levels required for actually maintaining an above average physique(I`m comparing it to others in the same age-area) if beyond what you`d get for HRT. And, a last thing to consider is that these guys were on for a large part of their competing careers, without experiencing major side-effects, and whilst experiencing benefits:why would they quit when they need those benefits the most?

About the second part of your question, it`s hard to answer...my understanding is that once you go off(considering proper HRT is employed), you`ll get whatever test levels nature gifted you with. That being said, the ammount of muscle you`ll hold on to is the ammount of muscle your natural test levels can maintain...so, if not planning on being somewhat on(constant cycles would be more appropriate here...unless you want to go the Louie Simmons or Dave Tate path and be on forever-and shoot blanks for half of that period), roids can be regarded as a shortcut towards reaching your best conditioning possible. So, if you eat properly, keep on training hard, don`t start doing retarded stuff after ending a cycle, you`ll get as much muscle as your body can maintain...which is quite logical really.

One must bear in mind that the bbers that reached Olympia level(even competitors, not necessarily winners), and the ones that were really at the top, were genetic freaks to start with...so their bodies could maintain a lot of muscle mass naturally.

Then again, I`m quite sure that someone who actually knows what he`s talking about will give you a proper answer.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">05/05/2005. Pax Beale, The 75 Year-Old Bodybuilder
Pax Beale just after his coronary quintuple bypass surgery in 1991.</div>

Anyone know why his heart was so bad? I hope it has nothing to do with high dietary cholesterol intake or the amount of mass on his body.

cheers morgorth,its just that i have always wondered if these guys stopped taking juice,would they go back to what there natural genetic limits would, be or would they hold onto more through muscle memory etc.

Back