Loaded and Pulsed Stretches

• Thread starter imported_gripstrength
  • Start date
I

imported_gripstrength

Hey guys, I keep seeing references to loaded stretches and how effective they are. There's a lot of info about 'em in the Customizing HST thread, but I didn't see a basic description of exactly how to do 'em.

So, if I were to do loaded stretches on, say, lying triceps extensions, would I simply grab a very heavy weight and just hold it as long as possible at the bottom of the movement, at the "most stretched" point?

Similarly, I am curious about pulsed stretches. The name implies that these are basically a loaded stretch with a very short motion thrown in. Is this accurate?

i think loaded stretches refer to an excercise selection that provides the stretch and follows the loaded progression of HST. for instance dumbell flyes for chest, overhead tricep ext for tris. close grip cable rows for back and etc. Look around for POF/HST here. you might find some nifty stuff that refers to combining compound and stretch movements within the HST protocol for good results.

pulse reps are when u do a pulse like motion when u are at the peak movement of the excercise i think. For bench u would pulse the weight up and down at the very top of the lift. barbell curls u would "pulse" the weight when u the weight is closest to your chest.

correct me if I'm wrong guys. still a noob here
:)

pzhang

I'm pretty sure loaded stretches are what gripstrength described. At least that's what I've been doing. You hold the weight at the point of greatest stretch for a short period. They hurt like hell too.

As for pulses, the way I read it would where you get to the lowest part of the movement, then suddenly reverse direction quickly, so with bench, it would be when the bar is at your chest. I believe I saw vicious say in the customizing HST thread that it is akin to doing the concentric explosively.

HA! guess i had everything reversed. thanks for the correction
worship.gif

Actually, Jules talks about different kinds of "pulsing" as I recall.
There is pulsing in the contracted position, as well as pulsing in the stretched position.
So we have
1. Loaded stretches
2. Stretched pulses
3. Contracted pulses
4. Static holds

Each has a different effect.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....1;st=40
About half way down the page I think, it's a long page ;)

Thanks for the feedback and links, guys. Very helpful.

Back