Log - Dojomatic

<div>
(dojomatic @ Sep. 19 2007,14:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm worried about their mental game.</div>
C'mon! If they had a mental game, they'd be Penn, not Penn State...
wink.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Sep. 21 2007,18:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">C'mon! If they had a mental game, they'd be Penn, not Penn State...
wink.gif
</div>
Touche.

HST Cycle # 1
(Rep Scheme - 12,9,6,3)

9 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 1

Hang Clean 2 x 9 x 110
Lat Pulldown 2 x 9 x 144
Cable Upright Row 2 x 9 x 100
Flat Bench 2 x 9 x 155
Dips 2 x 9 x BW+15
Deads 2 x 9 x 180
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 9 x 100
DB Side Raises 1 x 9 x 20
Curls 1 x 9 x 30

This first WO of the second meso-cycle was a little bit tougher than I thought it would be. It wasn't the cake-walk I thought it would be maybe because my weights are a little higher than I had planned a few weeks ago. I also tend to make the first workouts harder by really slowing down and adding pauses and squeezes wherever beneficial. Regardless, my newbie strength gains have pretty much voided the RMs I had set before I started so I've had to adjust. My 12RMs all increased from what I had established. Currently, in some exercises I'm close to my 6RMs and in some cases I'm already there. So, I'm basically trying to estimate and try to have a gradual progression. If I go too far in a workout, I'll repeat that weight on the next one.

Note on the Deads: I used the same weight as with 12's, because I really wanted to focus on form. The tempo was slower all around focusing on a good squeeze at the top and control on the way down.

As always, any tips or critiques are more than welcome.

<div>
(_tim @ Sep. 24 2007,13:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry about the loss, Dojo.  I was pulling for you.

How goes the workouts?</div>
Tim, I hear you, man. I think PSU has a problem playing that uniform, no matter who wears it.

Oh well, it's not as if they won I could claim any credit, right? Screw football! I'm gonna focus more on rooting for MY performance in my workouts!!
mad.gif

&quot;Hail to the Victors... da da DA, da da Da da...&quot;

Michigan strikes again....
sad.gif

Yup, gotta watch the form on your deads. Once they start getting heavy, you wanna make sure you've got 'em right.

2 comments, Dojo -

1) Instead of pulldowns, have you considered chins or pullups? You may get fewer reps, but your strength and size gains will be appreciable.

2) Instead of using a cable for your upright rows, use a barbell. You'll much better be able to assail your traps and anterior delts that way.

Tunnelrat is right - form, form, form, form, form, form, form for deads.

<div>
(_tim @ Sep. 25 2007,15:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2 comments, Dojo -

1) Instead of pulldowns, have you considered chins or pullups? You may get fewer reps, but your strength and size gains will be appreciable.

2) Instead of using a cable for your upright rows, use a barbell. You'll much better be able to assail your traps and anterior delts that way.

Tunnelrat is right - form, form, form, form, form, form, form for deads.</div>
I will definitely be doing chins/pullups once I'm close to body weight on the pulldowns. That should be in about 3 or 4 workouts. I'm with you on that one.

I've been doing the cable rows just because it's easier and quicker than setting up a barbell. But I guess that's not a good reason any more since I have to do it anyway for hang cleans. More than one person has suggested it, so I'm going to try it.

HST Cycle # 1
(Rep Scheme - 12,9,6,3)

9 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 2 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 9 x 110
Lat Pulldown 2 x 9 x 149
Cable Upright Row 2 x 9 x 110
Flat Bench 2 x 9 x 160
Dips 2 x 9 x BW+20
Squat 2 x 9 x 190
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 9 x 105
DB Side Raises 2 x 9 x 20
Curls 2 x 9 x 30

I've been eating an average of 1600 calories over the last 4 days and I think that's as low as I can go. It might be too low. I felt weaker today and I'll probably have to repeat some weights next workout.

Only increased weight on hang clean and deadlift. I'm not sure if I'll be able to add to much weight to the remaining workouts in this mesocycle. I think I may have started too heavy when taking into account my reduced caloric intake.

HST Cycle # 1 (Rep Scheme - 12,9,6,3)

9 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 3 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 9 x 120
Lat Pulldown 2 x 9 x 149
Cable Upright Row 2 x 9 x 110
Flat Bench 2 x 9 x 160
Dips 2 x 9 x BW+20
Dead Lift 2 x 9 x 190
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 9 x 110
DB Side Raises 2 x 9 x 20

This was pretty much a repeat of Wednesday's workout, which I didn't post. My weight progression has been too high/fast and I had to adjust a bit. I really felt good today. Probably due in part to an increase of carbs in my diet. I'm ready for RMs on Friday!
mad.gif

9 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 5 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 9 x 120
Lat Pulldown 2 x 9 x 156
Cable Upright Row 2 x 9 x 115
Flat Bench 2 x 9 x 165
Dips 2 x 9 x BW+22.5
Dead Lift 2 x 9 x 200
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 9 x 115
DB Side Raises 2 x 9 x 22.5

RM day! Overall I felt good except for squats. Probably due to the intensity increase in cardio during the week. My legs were were a bit worn out. Besides that, I'm feelin' good! I don't even care that much that PSU has lost two games in a row!
tounge.gif

9 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 6 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 9 x 125
Pullups (overhand) 2 x 9 x BW
Cable Upright Row 2 x 9 x 125
Flat Bench 2 x 9 x 170
Dips 2 x 9 x BW+25
Squat 2 x 9 x 210
Curls 1 x 9 x 35
DB Side Raises 1 x 9 x 25

Started new mesocycle. So far, I have avoided zig-zagging although this wasn't by design. Hopefully I'll be able to keep progressing the weights through the next couple of weeks.

6 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 1 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 6 x 130
Pullups (wide grip) 2 x 6 x BW
Cable Upright Row 2 x 6 x 130
Flat Bench 2 x 6 x 180
Dips 2 x 6 x BW+30
Deadlift 2 x 6 x 210
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 6 x 120
DB Curls 1 x 6 x 35
DB Side Raises 2 x 6 x 25

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't even care that much that PSU has lost two games in a row! </div>

Horrid ball-handling and play calling. Maybe it is time for Joe to go, but I'll take a downer season with him on the sidelines over a better season any day.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">BTW, I like the rep scheme (12,9,6,3) a lot.</div>
I hate to admit it, but I chose this scheme rather on a whim. For the brief time that I tried HST a couple years ago, I did 15,12,8,5. That was my way of doing an 8 week cycle without the neg's. It seemed to me that I got better results in the 8's and 5's. I'm not sure if the caloric deficit I was doing at the time had anything to do with this. So I figured, if I was going to start with a cut, I might as well &quot;shift&quot; the whole cycle just a bit towards the heavy side.

Still not sure how I'm going to do the 3's. I was thinking of doing Max-Stim based on percentages of my 3RM. Which I actually have to estimate now since I'm probably going to go through those on the current meso-cycle (Newbie strength gains cancelled the RM's I had established when I started).

Anyway, today's workout:

6 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 2 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 6 x 130
Pullups (wide grip) 3 x 6 x BW
Cable Upright Row 2 x 6 x 135
Flat Bench 2 x 6 x 180
Dips 2 x 6 x BW+35
Squat 2 x 6 x 210
Rear Delt Rows 2 x 6 x 120

Optional Iso's:
Machine Fly's 2 x 6 x 100
DB Side Raises 2 x 6 x 25

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 11 2007,10:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This will help you out with your estimations: N Rep Max Calculator</div>
Thanks, Colby!

Haven't posted the last three workouts. I was depressed about the whole thing. Some lifts have stalled, but that was to be expected, I suppose. I'm averaging 1750 calories at the moment and I've increased my cardio on off days to get the fat-burn ball rolling again. It's working... I am getting lean fast (maybe too fast), but definitely not stronger. I guess I'm like most humans and I'll have to do one thing at a time!
biggrin.gif

I tried to add some weight to my bench and hang cleans and I couldn't complete the set without pausing. So I finished the last couple reps with 10 sec rests or so in between. I didn't even try to do dips after the bench performance. Friday is RM day so I figured I'll try to properly complete the sets then.

6 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 5 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 6 x 140
Chins 3 x 6 x BW+25
Cable Upright Row 2 x 6 x 140
Flat Bench 2 x 6 x 190
Dips none
Deadlift 2 x 6 x 240

Optional Iso's:
none

Alright! I'm happy with my WO today. I don't know if it made a real difference or if it was all in my head, but I had two cups of coffee in the couple hours prior to working out and I felt a LOT better. Big difference from Wednesday. Couldn't increase my hang clean though. That sumabich is hard!

So, if anyone cares, here's my effort for today:

6 Rep mesocyle - Workout # 6 of 6

Hang Clean 2 x 6 x 140
Chins 3 x 6 x BW+30
Cable Upright Row 2 x 6 x 145
Flat Bench 2 x 6 x 190
Dips 2 x 6 x BW+45
Squat 2 x 6 x 230

Optional Iso's:
Machine Fly's 1 x 6 x 120

Back