Military Fitness Test

ashby

Hey guys,

Thanks to HST I have already achieved my desirable weight (85-90 kilos). Now I just want to keep fit and in good shape. We came up with a friend an modification of Military Fitness Test (US army uses this) and it involves:
Crunches
Chin-ups
Push-ups
3 mile run

Question is... If I want to be able to achieve high repetitions in those exercises, how should I train?

Currently I'm training 5 times a week with 3 maximum repetitions for each exercise. This breaks that mandatory 48-hour rest rule. Any advice whether I should do it differently?

Thanx!

What I meant was that it's recommended to give each muscle group 48 hours rest before training it again. But question is, does it matter when training for maximum number of repetitions (crunches/pushups/chinups)?

The US Army uses pushups, situps, and a 2mile run. 7:58min mile or less to pass

The US Marine Corps uses pullups/chinups(your choice), crunches, and a 3mile run. 9 minute miles or less to pass

for pushups, benchpress increased my max. I struggled to get 53-58 before then I started benching more and can max it(71) with like 45 seconds left.
situps... i dont ever train situps... i usually either max or come close... i cant help ya here
Run... well i started running everyday and developed stress fractures and couldnt run for 3 months. im currently reconditioning but it still hurts if i run too much.

pullups, grease the groove. we only gotta do 6 in the Army if youre: In a "highspeed" infantry unit and you're a team leader. Or if you're special ops

Crunches are too easy...
-11B

Last edited:
Well, I figured that regular MFT is too easy. I combined tests from Marines, Rangers, special ops and came up with this:

3 mile run. Base time is 18:00, every 5 seconds over takes 1 point off from 100 points
Chin-ups. Max is 100 points, every CU is 5 points (max 20 CUs)
Push-ups. 2 minute time limit, 100 PU is 100 points
Crunches. 2 min limit, 100 C is 100 points.

Max points are 400. I'm aiming to get 300 and gradually raise the bar. I did the test 2 weeks ago for the first time and got 21:50 run, 74 push-ups, 65 crunches and 11 chin-ups. Total score was around 250 points.

Back