Modifying my routine

thecoffeeguy

I'm starting my second week of my 15's and I have a question.

Squats are DEMANDING. I'm sure everyone will confirm this. However, as my squats get harder, im wondering if it is ok to drop a set of squats, since they are such a demanding exercise and I am doing them 3 times a week.

This was my workout today:

squats: 2 x 15
Incline Bench: 2 x 15
DB Row: 2 x 15
Military press: 2 x 15
Barbell curl: 2 x 15
tricep extension: 1 x 15
calves: 2 x 15
ab work.

I dropped a set of my triceps because i've noticed that my triceps get a pretty good workout from the bench and military presses.

Because squats are so tough on me (i'm sure they are for everyone), I was thinking of dropping to one set for this next week.

Is that a alright thing?

This is my first go at HST and it is different indeed. However, one thing i've noticed (so far that is) from the 15's cycle is that I feel spent after my workout. I'm assuming that's pretty normal? The higher rep load is pretty demanding, especially for squats.

Just wanted to follow up.

Thanks

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Because squats are so tough on me (i'm sure they are for everyone), I was thinking of dropping to one set for this next week.

Yes you can drop a set - it's common for people to lower the volume as the load increases during each microcycle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I dropped a set of my triceps because i've noticed that my triceps get a pretty good workout from the bench and military presses.

:) Ahh, the joy of compound exercises!

Enjoy HST

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thecoffeeguy @ Oct. 31 2005,4:53)]Squats are DEMANDING. I'm sure everyone will confirm this. However, as my squats get harder, im wondering if it is ok to drop a set of squats, since they are such a demanding exercise and I am doing them 3 times a week.
Squats are demanding, especially if you are not use to doing them. However you should keep them in the routine as they will help put mass on you and contribute to a stronger core. Everyone is different in their recovery ability from squats- I too find it hard to squat 3 x week. Your lower body generally takes longer to recover than your upper body. You might try dropping squats in the middle of your 3 x week schedule (i.e. do squats only on the 1st day and 3rd day) and see how that works. If its still too much, go to one day only as some do. (edit: wordy way to say basically same thing as Colby said, sorry
blush.gif

coffeeguy

Fine to do this at this stage, just remember to put it back once on 10 (2 or so).

Then on 5's definitely 3 sets.

15's are dang hard we all know that
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Oct. 31 2005,6:32)]Yes you can drop a set - it's common for people to lower the volume as the load increases during each microcycle.

:) Ahh, the joy of compound exercises!
Enjoy HST
-Colby
Ya, squats are tough, especially higher rep squats. They definitely tax the crap out of me.

Ya, my triceps are scorched. Love that. That is why I dropped a set of triceps.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Oct. 31 2005,7:35)]Squats are demanding, especially if you are not use to doing them. However you should keep them in the routine as they will help put mass on you and contribute to a stronger core. Everyone is different in their recovery ability from squats- I too find it hard to squat 3 x week. Your lower body generally takes longer to recover than your upper body. You might try dropping squats in the middle of your 3 x week schedule (i.e. do squats only on the 1st day and 3rd day) and see how that works. If its still too much, go to one day only as some do. (edit: wordy way to say basically same thing as Colby said, sorry
blush.gif
Yep. Squats are tough. Since I haven't done them for a couple of years, they are even tougher.

I like your idea of maybe doing squats on the 1st and 3rd workouts of the week. I will definitely give that a try.

For now, I will try one set each workout. If that is tough, i'll try the 1st and 3rd days for squats (still use 1 set or try for 2?)

Much appreciated.

thecoffeeguy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Nov. 01 2005,8:42)]coffeeguy
Fine to do this at this stage, just remember to put it back once on 10 (2 or so).
Then on 5's definitely 3 sets.
15's are dang hard we all know that
laugh.gif
This is my last week of 15's and they are getting tough. I figure i'll try and do one set per day and if that is to much, do squats on the 1st and 3rd workouts.

As far as the 10's, do you recommend doing 2 sets for each workout for the first week and second week? Or should a little modifying be going on as well?

For the 5's, you recommend 3 sets of squats per workout day?

15's...quickly becoming something I cringe. :D

coffeeguy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far as the 10's, do you recommend doing 2 sets for each workout for the first week and second week? Or should a little modifying be going on as well?

For the 5's, you recommend 3 sets of squats per workout day?

10's - 1 to 2 sets - they are a lot easier than 15's, the frequency though as you will see is necessary to keep the anabolism going. This gives you 20 at the end of the day.

5's - 3 sets only gives you 15 you will find them easier than the others.

try putting squats at the end of your routine if they are tyring you out..or on 2nd wk of 15s just do 1set..but as fausto said put it back on the 10s..good luck :D

Back