My Paleo Nutirtion Experiment

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
<div>
(drpierredebs @ Mar. 05 2007,18:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I eat no wheat. I eat no foods based on modern agricultural methods of producing foodstuffs from any grains whatsoever.

The meat I get is free range, grass fed.</div>
you understand that I wasnt talking about grains when I said modern cultivars.

the majority of available fruits/veges etc, are modern, ie not paleo period.

The grass fed, free range animals... depends what your eating. Modern bovids are the same family as early bovids, but ultimately different genius.

Eating a 'paleo' inspired diet is wonderful, but its a different thing than eating what a paleo man actually ate.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 05 2007,02:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ Mar. 05 2007,18:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I eat no wheat. I eat no foods based on modern agricultural methods of producing foodstuffs from any grains whatsoever.

The meat I get is free range, grass fed.</div>
you understand that I wasnt talking about grains when I said modern cultivars.

the majority of available fruits/veges etc, are modern, ie not paleo period.

The grass fed, free range animals... depends what your eating.  Modern bovids are the same family as early bovids, but ultimately different genius.

Eating a 'paleo' inspired diet is wonderful, but its a different thing than eating what a paleo man actually ate.</div>
ummm, yes I realize that I am not eating what a paleo man ate, for various reasons, and that I am not following the strict paleo diet as described by others.
I simply mentioned that it is very close to what people understand to be the paleo diet as promulgated by Cordain.

Maybe I should have not mentioned paleo in my thread.

Call it what you will: I have changed my eating protocol to include only meat, fish, fruits, vegetables and select nuts.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 05 2007,16:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have met Cordain

utterly unimpressed</div>
why?

Down to 83Kg. New Picks at 80 kg.

Had a funny workout today

5 x 10 x 125kg Dead lifts
3 x 3 x 155kg Dead lifts

Thats it. No warmups, straight to 125. done in 20 minutes.

Tonight I expect weird dreams.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Mar. 06 2007,10:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 05 2007,16:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have met Cordain

utterly unimpressed</div>
why?</div>
his scientific arguement was ultimately weak, especially after he followed a real paleontologist that had a sound arguement.

I was expecting some substance behind his claims, but sadly not a whole heap.

My boss was also not impressed at the concept.

82kg

Dead lift max still 185kg.
Failed attempt of 190
haven´t squatted in two weeks as I have been doing copius amounts of bike training ( 500km/per weeek over the last three weeks, this will only increase over the next three months)

Workouts consist of:
Workout A: Chins, Dips, Military presses, heavy pull downs, incline crunches with weight

Workout B: Chins, Dips, Deads, Weighted hypers.

Daily: 50-100 push ups spread through out the day.

Caloric intake still limited to 2500 cal/day on non-bike days
on bike days: 3000 calories.

Still running on at least a 1000 calorie per day deficit. Still feeling outta this world.

<div>
(kaos @ Apr. 13 2007,18:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any updates on the diet?</div>
80.5kg yesterday. I might have to have the extra stretched skin around my waist removed. 20 years of lugging around the extra fat might not be reversable as far as skin reabsorption. I don´t know, it is a topic I never even thought about. But I will wait until the end of the year before going under the knife.

Over the last two weeks, I switched my workouts around to avoid overtraining as my biking mileage is getting pretty high (first race April 30).
I have lifted only 4 times in 2 weeks.
Mon: (Power cleans/Push Presses)(Heavy Close Grip Pull Downs)
Thur: (Deads) (Military Presses)(Heavy Close Grip Pull Downs)

Every day I have been doing at least 75 Pushups and 50 Chins spread over the day.

I think I will end up like Clarence Bass.
biggrin.gif
 I am getting ripped. For the first time I can see the striations in my deltoids and my abs are starting to rip.

My bike training has also been interesting as I was able to do 6 back to back days of  100km with no  soreness and my water retention is fabulous as I don´t get that thirsty.

Nutritionally, I haven´t changed anything other than increasing my protein intake in the a.m. and taking some dextrose during the long training rides.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Apr. 15 2007,02:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(kaos @ Apr. 13 2007,18:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any updates on the diet?</div>
80.5kg yesterday. I might have to have the extra stretched skin around my waist removed. 20 years of lugging around the extra fat might not be reversable as far as skin reabsorption. I don´t know, it is a topic I never even thought about. But I will weight until the end of the year before going under the knife.

Over the last two weeks, I switched my workouts around to avoid overtraining as my biking mileage is getting pretty high (first race April 30).
I have lifted only 4 times in 2 weeks.
Mon: (Power cleans/Push Presses)(Heavy Close Grip Pull Downs)
Thur: (Deads) (Military Presses)(Heavy Close Grip Pull Downs)

Every day I have been doing at least 75 Pushups and 50 Chins spread over the day.

I think I will end up like Clarence Bass.
biggrin.gif
I am getting ripped. For the first time I can see the striations in my deltoids and my abs are starting to rip.

My bike training has also been interesting as I was able to do 6 back to back days of 100km with no soreness and my water retention is fabulous as I don´t get that thirsty.

Nutritionally, I haven´t changed anything other than increasing my protein intake in the a.m. and taking some dextrose during the long training rides.</div>
Good deal. So up to this point, has your strength decreased much? How much of that loss has been muscle up to know especially since you are not lifting quite as much and doing so much cycling?

I went on the atkins diet last year and I lost a ton of weight, I wasn't working out at the time. So I never knew how much of it was muscle. I'm guessing there might have been quite a bit. But I did lose almost 30 pounds in 3+months or so and over 4&quot; on my waist.

I'm thinking of doing this diet in May for a month or two. I'm getting back up to a 37&quot; waist and even though I would like to continue to bulk it bothers me to eat so much when I only have a pair or two of pants that fit after buying some that fit after dieting down so much.

I think I'll like this diet better because I was pretty much on the iduction period for more than 2 months on the atkins and being able to eat nuts and fruits should probably make me feel overall better on this diet.

It is not a diet anymore-it is the way I eat until I die. I would reasonably expect that 5-7 of my total weight loss is muscle. For many, this is frightening, but for me the health benefits far outway the visual benefits. I am sure I have lost some strength, but I am not worried as I &quot;got real&quot; strong before I switched my nutritional protocol. However, I have gained massive &quot;power&quot; on the bike for the uphills as 1. I am lighter and 2. all the squatting and deads I did packed some serious strength into my gams.
cool.gif

The six pack is almost their!

If you go in this direction, be forewarned that you MAY feel like doodoo for the first two weeks. Get through it and if this way of eating agrees with your body, your body will reward you. I don´t want to tell anyone how to eat , but this way of feeding has worked for ME.

thanks for the info. So at least from what i can tell you lost 35 pounds and anywhere from 11-15 pounds of it was muscle and you would go a long time without eating too from some of your replies.

Hey DrPierre,

I just noticed this thread. Dont know how I missed it before!
smile.gif

I eat very similar to you. That was actually the reason that I started my thread about raw meat as I wondered if anyone else ate like we do. I seem to catch alot more flack though for saying to avoid grains and things lol
tounge.gif

Anyway, one thing I have found very helpful is to eat more raw fats. This way the fat is still healthy (not all oxidized and transy) and provides the extra calories you may need to maintain your muscle mass.

Since I eat my meat raw, and you do as well it seems, just add some of the fat off the animal to the meal. Also, bone marrow is highly nutritious. And if you can get it, the suet is also quiet good.

I dont totally agree with Cordain about everything though. In fact, most tribal peoples I have studied ate plenty of saturated fat, they just ate it raw. Saturated fat definitely has its place in a healthy diet so long as the oil is fresh and not overheated.

One other thing I have found hepful is raw eggs. Egg yolks are powerhouses of nutrition but they must be eaten raw as the oxidized cholesterol from cooking is quite unhealthy.

In any event congrats on getting cut! There are many naysayers but the fact is that it works! And you are so right that the body response is a vibrant constitution. All the people I have trained this way and taught to eat this way have all had the same results. They cut fat quickly, gained LBM, and became far healthier.

My own experience is that for the first time ever I was able to add mass and not just strength. This was a miracle to me lol. And like you my wifes sugar cravings totally balanced and blood swings disappeared.

All in all, good stuff.
smile.gif

Jeff

PS: HAve you ever tried pemmican? Its about 70% slow melted fat, 25% dried raw meat and 5% berries. The native americans made it. It will give ya serious energy as well as a mess of calories! Its also a great balanced snack.

Anyway, congrats again!
smile.gif

I don´t eat all my meat raw. I still enjoy grilled steak and chicken. I only eat one egg yolk per day.
I hate raw eggs. Most of my raw fat comes from nuts and avocados.

<div>
(kaos @ Apr. 17 2007,19:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">thanks for the info. So at least from what i can tell you lost 35 pounds and anywhere from 11-15 pounds of it was muscle and you would go a long time without eating too from some of your replies.</div>
Yes, my hunger levels went away and this was due to a better insulin management through the removal of carb dense grain based foods, at least.

in otherwords, I went from a sugar junky, constantly jonesing for sweets, to the exact opposite.

every two to three weeks, I get a massive urge for a pizza and ice cream.
I satisfy this urge and that it. It is funny, because I can tell the day before it happens, and it happens like clockwork.

Overall, for many reasons, I am in much better contact with my bodys energy needs. Three days ago, out of nowhere, I became VERY tired and I felt as if a cold was coming on and the lip blisters started showing up. I knew right then and there, my body was telling to take the foot of the gas and sleep. WIthin the next 48 hours, I slept close to 24 hours and today I feel 100%. In the past, I would just get full blown sick with no warning. ( In the last three years I have been sick maybe twice).

as far as muscle lose, I haven´t noticed it functionally, which for me is the most important factor.

Hey Dr,

I still eat some cooked chicken every now and then and like you will cheat every month with some Whole Foods pizza. (I still miss the flavor of pizza!)

But I do notice that the more I stay away from things like pizza etc, the crappier I feel afterwards when I go back and eat some. Do you get that?

And yea I eat alot of avocados myself. My favorite snack is raw grassfed butter, raw honey and almonds. Its a creamy sweet nutty awesome flavor!

How long have you been doing this type of diet? And have you also noticed the amazing amount of endurance, apart from actually earning it through exercise, that comes? That was the big thing I first noticed. I could workout forever all of a sudden or run for miles despite not being in a good fitness level.

I notied that you bike. Did you read Cordains book for athletes? Its got alot of diet advice for endurance athletes. Maybe be of some help to ya.

Jeff

<div>
(wisslewj @ Apr. 20 2007,10:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But I do notice that the more I stay away from things like pizza etc, the crappier I feel afterwards when I go back and eat some.  Do you get that?

How long have you been doing this type of diet?  And have you also noticed the amazing amount of endurance, apart from actually earning it through exercise, that comes?  That was the big thing I first noticed.  I could workout forever all of a sudden or run for miles despite not being in a good fitness level.  

I notied that you bike.  Did you read Cordains book for athletes?  Its got alot of diet advice for endurance athletes.  Maybe be of some help to ya.

Jeff</div>
I can eat a pizza or ice cream with no problems afterwards.

SInce Jan 1 2007 I have been followig this way of eating.

As far as enduracne, I can´t tell because I already had a very large endurance base. I do notice my regeneration time is MUCH shorter, and I don´t lose water as rapidly.

I read COrdains book.

I just returned from my SPorts Doctor for an Stress EKG, echocardiogram, lung function, body fat measure ( 10 locations, each measured 3x with calipers)

results:

1. Up to 400 Watts on the bike and no abnormalities of on the EKG

2. The echo shows excellent function and HUGE STRONG tendons connecting the heart valves. ( these pictures may end up in a Text book the guy is writing)

3. Lung volume of 7.2 Liters

4. I have a Sports Heart!

5. Body fat at 80 kilograms ---->8.3%

6. Blo0d Pressure 118/78, resting heart rate 48, relaxed heart rate sitting around 60, max heart rate 195

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
1. Up to 400 Watts on the bike and no abnormalities of on the EKG

2. The echo shows excellent function and HUGE STRONG tendons connecting the heart valves. ( these pictures may end up in a Text book the guy is writing)

3. Lung volume of 7.2 Liters

4. I have a Sports Heart!

5. Body fat at 80 kilograms ---->8.3%

6. Blo0d Pressure 118/78, resting heart rate 48, relaxed heart rate sitting around 60, max heart rate 195</div>

Great #'s

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Feb. 26 2007,07:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You do know that dairy calcium regulates fat metabolism and seems to help fat-loss?And that paleo nutrition, blood typing etc. are crap because they`re mostly based on wrong assumptions?

Congrats on your weightloss anyhow, and as long as you get your veggies and you feel good, don`t mind my ramblings
wink.gif
</div>
i just watched a programe on tv a couple of wks ago &quot;UK&quot; it was about fat loss.

they showed a study that had been done in denmark
&quot;i think&quot; they had 2 groups both ate exactly the same cals per day,but one group ate over 50% dairy the other group no dairy only veggeis fruit low fat stuff.

after 12 months they found the dairy group actually excreted 50% more fat per day than the low fat group on exactly the same cals.

Back