My Paleo Nutirtion Experiment

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
It seems that the Zone diet is very similar to the Paleo concept. I'll be changing my diet around very soon to improve the % of veggies/fruit in my carb intake. I'll still eat potatoes and grains, but at least half as much as I did before.

hey, I really enjoy this way of eating! I eat fruits like all day and all night everyday. thank you so much for suggesting this! however, I have a concern if you can help explaining!

if Im not mistaken, you no longer touch dairy foods and grains. then, what are your sources of calcium and vitamin D (no dairy?) and magnesium (no grain?)

thanks in advance drpierredebs!

sesame and other nuts provide me with all the magnesium I need.

Mineral water.

do a google search for calcium rich veggies.

Cheers, I ´m on vacation

I've recently read the Paleo Diet and after so much hype, I was a quite disappointed. All Cordain did was compare a diet of grains and fatty meats with a diet of fruits, vegetables and lean meats; can you guess which was healthier? If you look over the book again (I didn't catch it the first time I read it), but all the time he bashes grains, he's presupposing that you're eating grains in opposed to fruits and vegetables. Also, his main arguement, that grains are so unhealthy, is based on the fact that they are acidic in nature (so is meat), but since he thinks that if you eat grains you'll be unable to eat fruit and vegetables, you won't get the alcaline balance. If you doubt that grains can be a part of a healthy diet, consider the fact that the Okinawans are perhaps the healthiest people on the planet and their diet is anything but Paleo. It seems like an okay diet if you can afford it (grains are a staple to poor people like me), but as long as you get your fruits and vegetables (the only similarity between the Okinawan and Paleo diets) you'll be in great health.

<div>
(DairyGuy @ Aug. 24 2007,12:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've recently read the Paleo Diet and after so much hype, I was a quite disappointed.  All Cordain did was compare a diet of grains and fatty meats with a diet of fruits, vegetables and lean meats; can you guess which was healthier?  If you look over the book again (I didn't catch it the first time I read it), but all the time he bashes grains, he's presupposing that you're eating grains in opposed to fruits and vegetables.  Also, his main arguement, that grains are so unhealthy, is based on the fact that they are acidic in nature (so is meat), but since he thinks that if you eat grains you'll be unable to eat fruit and vegetables, you won't get the alcaline balance.  If you doubt that grains can be a part of a healthy diet, consider the fact that the Okinawans are perhaps the healthiest people on the planet and their diet is anything but Paleo.  It seems like an okay diet if you can afford it (grains are a staple to poor people like me), but as long as you get your fruits and vegetables (the only similarity between the Okinawan and Paleo diets) you'll be in great health.</div>
and?

And... What? I posted my opinion on the topic at hand, what more do you want? This is the right forum, isn't it?

This thread is not to defend cordain or any one who advocates eating in such a manner. Nor is it to convince or recommend anyone to eat in such a manner. It is a basically a log of what worked for me. I put it in the wrong sub-forum from the get go.

Did Paleo man eat every day? Surely fasting comes into the equation/diet at some point...
&quot;Averaging-out&quot; the weekly cals - &quot;missing&quot; one day's intake would equate to losing near on the magical pound, all other factors (work/exercise/rest)being equal.
rock.gif

What's your views on this Doc?
smile.gif

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Aug. 25 2007,19:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Did Paleo man eat every day? Surely fasting comes into the equation/diet at some point...
&quot;Averaging-out&quot; the weekly cals - &quot;missing&quot; one day's intake would equate to losing near on the magical pound, all other factors (work/exercise/rest)being equal.  
rock.gif

What's your views on this Doc?
smile.gif
</div>
I have no friggin clue if paleomen fasted on purpose. I can imagine they went some days without food if the catch was unsuccessful or there was no plant matter to be had. But I imagine again, they would just bend down and eat a bug if things got bad or the local tree store ran out of mars bars!

RE: &quot;averaging out .....&quot; - What is your question? I don´t understand what you are asking.

I imagine the skinny fuckers' didn't know they were fasting... However as Paleo's use the diet to attain weight loss - shouldn't they throw in the odd &quot;fast&quot; (knocking their daily cal intake average down by 300-500kcals when averaged-out over the week taking into account one days' lost caloies) just to keep it real?
laugh.gif

I don´t think the body keeps account of caloric intake on a weekly basis. The accounting method of caloric deficit over the course of a week is, as far as I know and remember, NOT a biological/physiological principle.  

The body doesn´t know on friday that on monday 500 calories less was eaten.

Whether paleolithic peoples fasted, for any reason, remains a mystery. In modern times,  fasting is more often than not religious event and thus absurd in my opinion. Yes, there are people who study the effects of fasting and it has it use prior to various surgical procedures.

For people who had to work VERY hard for their food, I can imagine they would consider fasting  a complete stupidity.

Back