My training Log :D

berserkerzx

Hi all, so here goes...

Frequency- Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Progressive Overload is calculator by a RM calculator which calculates %RM

Tuesday (11/10/11) 15s, Total Reps per exercise= 60 reps

Squat- 35kg 4x15reps 1 minute rest

DB bench press- 12.5kg 4x15 reps 1 minute rest

BB Row- 25kg 4x15reps 1 minute rest (I can't seem to feel my Lats working, any alternatives?)

Calf Raise- 180lbs 4x15reps 1 minute rest

DB shoulder press- 7.5kg 4x15reps 1 minute rest

Rope extension- 25lbs 4x15reps 1 minute rest

BB bicep curl- 15kg 4x15reps 1 minute rest

DB shrugs- 12kg 4x15reps 1 minute rest (can't really feel the trapz working, more like when i shrug my elbows will bend)

Please comment on my routine, is it ok? does it adhere to HST?

Last edited:
Please comment on my routine, is it ok? does it adhere to HST?

If you like your routine, that's really all that matters :) IMO, you've got a couple compound exercises in there which is good.

So far as adherence, you've got mechanical load. what will your frequency be like? do you have a plan for progressive load? do you intend to strategically condition?

just to throw another opinion in... you seem to be looking for something to hit your lats and traps more effectively. do you like deadlifts?

If you like your routine, that's really all that matters :) IMO, you've got a couple compound exercises in there which is good.

So far as adherence, you've got mechanical load. what will your frequency be like? do you have a plan for progressive load? do you intend to strategically condition?

just to throw another opinion in... you seem to be looking for something to hit your lats and traps more effectively. do you like deadlifts?

As for progressive overload, can i send u the RM calculator? cause i really don't know how to explain it here, basically i am not so good in finding my 15rm, 10rm and 5rm, so i use this calculator to determine the 15rm,10rm and 5rm for me, it tells me the 45%RM to 100%RM.

Basically i do (45%RM for day 1, 50%RM for day 2, 55%RM for day 3)= Week 1 of 15s
Basically i do (60%RM for day 4, 65%RM for day 5, 70%RM for day 6)= Week 2 of 15s
Basically i do (70%RM for day 7, 70%RM for day 8, 75%RM for day 9)= Week 3 of 10s
Basically i do (75%RM for day 10, 75%RM for day 11, 80%RM for day 12)= Week 4 of 10s
Basically i do (80%RM for day 13, 80%RM for day 14, 85%RM for day 15)= Week 5 of 5s
Basically i do (85%RM for day 16, 85%RM for day 17, 90%RM for day 18)= Week 6 of 5s

So there u have it, i know its at 90%RM only but i think its not necessary to go 100%RM? because according to HST principle, as long as there is Progessive overload right? If i do 5s- Neg then it will go about 95%RM-100%RM?

Ya i can do deadlifts too :) and you said strategically condition or decondition?

Please comment :)

Last edited:
I'm not very good at finding my maxes either :) I can't be bothered with it. Personally, I don't mind extending 15's out while the progressive load principle takes weights high enough to move me into 10's. Don't worry about sending me a calculator.

strategic condition is the 4th principle of HST (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/hst_index.html). probably, the reason I brought it up is because I had reread the FAQ thread about it.

good luck with your cycle, I look forward to reading your log!

I'm not very good at finding my maxes either :) I can't be bothered with it. Personally, I don't mind extending 15's out while the progressive load principle takes weights high enough to move me into 10's. Don't worry about sending me a calculator.

strategic condition is the 4th principle of HST (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/hst_index.html). probably, the reason I brought it up is because I had reread the FAQ thread about it.

good luck with your cycle, I look forward to reading your log!

Thanks FF, yes i just read about strategic deconditioning, thanks for reading my log :) looking forward to read ur logs too :)

Is there a reason for all the DB exercises? With the shrugs, I would recommend trying them with a barbell instead of DBs, considering your comment about not feeling them in your traps. Sounds like you are using your arms to lift the weight. A barbell will help you keep your arms straight the entire time. You can also load up a lot more weight on the barbell. Most gyms the DBs only go up to 140s or so. The barbell you can load up as much as you can be bothered to put on the bar. Then when you go to do the shrugs, just focus on your arms being basically hooks that never move, they just hold the bar - your traps will be what flexes, and as a result will lift the bar. It might take you a while to get comfortable with it to the point that you feel it in your traps, but keep working on it.

Is there a reason for all the DB exercises? With the shrugs, I would recommend trying them with a barbell instead of DBs, considering your comment about not feeling them in your traps. Sounds like you are using your arms to lift the weight. A barbell will help you keep your arms straight the entire time. You can also load up a lot more weight on the barbell. Most gyms the DBs only go up to 140s or so. The barbell you can load up as much as you can be bothered to put on the bar. Then when you go to do the shrugs, just focus on your arms being basically hooks that never move, they just hold the bar - your traps will be what flexes, and as a result will lift the bar. It might take you a while to get comfortable with it to the point that you feel it in your traps, but keep working on it.

Hi, toten, haha i always believe DB works my muscle harder, is it true? inspire me? hehe... ok i will give the BB shrugs a try and ya the trap ROM is damn freaking small, it takes a lot of concentration to feel it >.<

Last edited:
Thursday (13/10/11) T.Reps= 60 [15s]
4sets x 15reps for all exercises
Time to complete: 1hr20min

Squat 42.5kg
DB Bench press 15kg [Cluster for last set]
BB Row 30kg
Calf raise 200lbs
DB shoulder press 10kg [Cluster for last set]
Rope extension 30lbs
BB bicep curl 20kg [Cluster all 4 sets, too heavy?]
DB shrug 12.5kg

Please Comment :) Thx a mill :D

DB vs BB - it doesn't really matter. You will always be able to use more with a BB just because you don't have to stabilize two DBs. I haven't seen any real world evidence that it results in superior growth or more even muscle growth. From what I have observed, the way your muscles respond is going to be based on genetics - take two twins, have one use DBs and one use BBs and both progress the load, use similiar lifts, eat the same, etc, and I predict they will look pretty much the same after so many years of training.

DB vs BB - it doesn't really matter. You will always be able to use more with a BB just because you don't have to stabilize two DBs. I haven't seen any real world evidence that it results in superior growth or more even muscle growth. From what I have observed, the way your muscles respond is going to be based on genetics - take two twins, have one use DBs and one use BBs and both progress the load, use similiar lifts, eat the same, etc, and I predict they will look pretty much the same after so many years of training.

Oh ok, hmmm, time to rethink some of the exercises then, but i think i will DB for shrug as i feel 1hour in the training, my arms can't hold too much weight. Will try BB once i finish my 15s,10s, and 5s then SD :)

Sunday (16/10/11) T.Reps= 60
4set x 15 reps for all exercises
Time to complete: 1hr30min

Squat 47kg
BB Row 32.5kg [Cluster all for sets, maybe too heavy?]
Calf raise 220lbs
DB shoulder press 10kg
Rope extension 31lbs
BB bicep curl 20kg [Cluster for last set, did i get stronger from thursday workout?]
DB shrug 15kg [still don't feel my traps, is it so hard to feel it?]

For every cluster set, i will remain at the same weight until i don't cluster anymore, is this a good idea??? I feel slight CNS drain? how does CNS drain feel like?

Please comment HST brothers :)

Tuesday (18/10/11) T.Reps= 45
3set x 15reps all exercises
Time to complete: 1hr15min

Squat 50kg
BB Row 35kg
Calf raise 240lbs
DB shoulder press 12.5kg [Cluster for all sets]
Rope extension 35lbs
BB bicep curl 20kg [Cluster for last set]
DB shrug 17.5kg [still don't feel my traps, is it so hard to feel it?]

For every cluster set, i will remain at the same weight until i don't cluster anymore, is this a good idea???

Please comment :0

Tuesday (18/10/11)
DB shrug 17.5kg [still don't feel my traps, is it so hard to feel it?]

When I used to do shrugs, I can remember playing around with them. Crazy stuff like standing in front of the bar and shrugging with it behind my back. It seems like a smith machine worked best and I had to be leaning forward quite a bit with the bar behind me.

The point is: if you're doing isolation exercises, you you might have to play around with it a bit and figure out what works for you. No one is really going to be able to tell you what will work for your body in your environment with specific regard to an accessory exercise. Like Arnold in 'Pumping Iron' with his calf raises. One day he would do them barefoot, the next with boots, he would change foot positions and concluded that he had to change things up daily in order to feel his calves working.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your motivation behind doing shrugs? I am not knocking the exercise, I am curious.

Traps are tricky but using a bar is best at first till you develop the mind/muscle connection. Try holding a peak contraction at the top of each rep for 2 seconds and lower the weight slowly when the weights are light. iIf you have access to a mirror do it front of one so you can see them working and it should help you feel them working.

When I used to do shrugs, I can remember playing around with them. Crazy stuff like standing in front of the bar and shrugging with it behind my back. It seems like a smith machine worked best and I had to be leaning forward quite a bit with the bar behind me.

The point is: if you're doing isolation exercises, you you might have to play around with it a bit and figure out what works for you. No one is really going to be able to tell you what will work for your body in your environment with specific regard to an accessory exercise. Like Arnold in 'Pumping Iron' with his calf raises. One day he would do them barefoot, the next with boots, he would change foot positions and concluded that he had to change things up daily in order to feel his calves working.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your motivation behind doing shrugs? I am not knocking the exercise, I am curious.

Hmmm, i want beefy traps? cause if every where else hypertrophies then my traps remain the same, i thinks its not too good looking >.< and thanks for commenting FF :)

Traps are tricky but using a bar is best at first till you develop the mind/muscle connection. Try holding a peak contraction at the top of each rep for 2 seconds and lower the weight slowly when the weights are light. iIf you have access to a mirror do it front of one so you can see them working and it should help you feel them working.

thanks for the advice Tdawg, i will change the exercise to barbell shrugs after i finish the entire cycle, maybe my mind to muscle connection too slow >.< haha, ya i have a mirror and i will try to lower it real slow :) Thanks for the comment :)

Thursday (20/10/11) T.Reps= 45
3sets x 15reps
Time to complete: 1hr20min

Squat 55kg
DB bench press 15kg
BB Row 40kg
Calf raise 260lbs
DB shoulder press 12.5kg [Cluster all 3 sets, challenging for the shoulder, but the next day i don't feel DOMS at the shoulder? i should feel DOMS right?]
Rope extension 37.5lbs
BB curl 20kg
DB shrugs 17.5kg

Please comment :) Thanksss :)

I rarely if ever experience DOMS in my delts during HST. Nothing wrong with that because too much DOMS is not a good thing when training every other day. Bryan states in the FAQ that you should only be experiencing mild DOMS which would feel more like muscle stiffness than actual soreness. Too much DOMS means too much microtrauma which will hamper your recovery. Nothing to worry about

Back