Need HELP!  I am too SKINNY.

kuru79

I am 5’11”, 155 lb (used to be 140 lb)  I am definitely an ectomorph.  I started traditional (4 split) work-out program (4-5 days a week) about 3 month ago.  I did 2-3 work outs for each body part (4-6 sets each), and it is working for me (gaining 5 lb every month).  Last week a guy in the gym told me about HST.  He told me that HST has been working for him and he was huge.  I checked this web-site and it made sense to me (I am an engineer and I liked the scientific proofs).  
Only thing I am concerned about is the volume with HST.  I used to do 12-15 sets for each body part, and with HST I can only do 6-9 sets.  I already figured out my max (5s 10s 15s) and will SD during Thanks giving.  I am still worried if HST will work for me, specially because traditional way was working just fine for me. (I am happy with 5 lb per month.  My goal is 175 lb)
I am planning to use suggested work-outs on the main page.
Squat/Leg Press (2-3sets)
Leg Curls (2 sets)
Bench/I. Bench (2-3sets)
Lat. Pull down-Wide (2-3sets)
Row-Machine (2-3sets)
Shoulder Press-Dumbbell or Smith machine (2 sets)
Lateral raise-rear (2 sets)
Tri (2 sets)
Bi (2 sets)
Calves (2 sets)
Or I might try separating Tri, Bi,and Calves to Tues. and Weds and do more sets for each parts.
I am a single with full time job, and eating properly is probably hardest part.  I am eating lots of pasta (Barilla-high protein) with chicken breast.  I also eat steamed potatoes and eggs (not that much-no time to cook)  I drink Designer’s protein shake (once a day-training day only).  I also eat a lot of bananas (easy to get).  
I am done taking a bottle of NoExplode and Cellmass.  I am thinking about a month off.
(Probably no weight gain even with HST because of this?)
I might try taking Prime and Drive from HST website (are they good?)
Any suggestions from experts?
I read lots of postings from this forum and it seems like most of the guys here weigh 180 lb and above.  
Any skinny ectomorphs who has successful weight gaining stories?
Any comments will be appreciated (negative/positive)

P.S. I am gaining a lot on my chest and upper body. But my legs are still chicken legs (I hate it) My torso is too thin too. Any suggestions on this?

baby a said it all.. boost your calories by a lot, and then if you gain too much fat - then lower the caloric intake.. all about finding that right amount

Hi Kuru

You've asked some questions that have been asked on these boards a co-zillion times. If you search the boards, HST articles and HST FAQS you'll get all the answers you need, especially for starting out.

If you post on the boards to refine your training you'll get some great responses.

thumbs-up.gif

Kuru,
I was/am in your boat. Started at 143lbs now at 172lbs. Started around 5 months ago with HST. It is definitely the ultimate workout.
You can see my routine and diet here:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....;st=380
I was eating around 3200 calories on off days and 3900 on workout days. Now that I'm 172 I think I ate a little too much too fast, because I do have a nice ring of fat all around my mid-section. I plan to cut in Janaury despite reaching a weight of 185lbs.
I too have chicken legs. I added deads with squats on the same day and was able to add an inch to my thighs in one cycle. I also work my calves 2x15 even in the fives week and just keep uping the weight each time. This keeps the stress on the calves consistent. I was able to put some size on them with this method, but I definitely have a long way to go. Unfortunately not all of us were blessed with large muscles and bones to begin with.
Good luck to you.

Start counting calories. You can try using a tool like fitday.com or something to help keep track. Counting calories is VITAL for someone like you who is looking to put on weight. Trust me. I started out a long time ago at 150 lbs, and today I'm 200 lbs. I didn't make any progress, however, until I started counting calories. You may think you are eating like a horse, but in reality you are not.

Also, just so you know, from my experience anyway, I had to eat a lot more than most do to gain. I was eating 3500 a day and as much as 4500 on workout days... it was hard eating that much, but I did it. That's what you'll have to do if you want to get large.

Thanks Sun Tzu,

your article really do modivate me.

I think I will try some fish oil as well.

Any brand recommendation?

Are you taking any other suppliments?

What is biotech?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kuru79 @ Nov. 18 2005,11:46)]Thanks Sun Tzu,
your article really do modivate me.
I think I will try some fish oil as well.
Any brand recommendation?
Are you taking any other suppliments?
What is biotech?
For fish oil, I'd recommend Health from The Sea's Liquid Fish Oil.  It's about 13 dollars at bb.com or bulknutrition.  Great product.  I take 2 tablespoons/day.  1 in the morning and 1 at night.  Sure beats poppin' fish pills all day long.  No fishy burps either.
baby a is right.  If counting calories is too tedious for you just eat until you start gaining fat.  Basically, once you start gaining fat, you know you are eating enough or rather more than enough.  Nobody likes to gain fat but if adding mass is your goal, it's really the most efficient way to add LBM and as an ecto, it should be no problem to lose any fat you gain.  Provided you are getting enough protein up to your maintanence levels, just eat whatever you can/want after that and I do mean anything.  It's not something you'll be doing for very long so don't fret over whether it's a clean bulk or not.  It really doesn't make any difference in terms of adding mass.  In terms of health that's a different story but again, we're only talking a few months here.

Take a look at DennisRB's topic (on the 2 most recent pages) for some discussion of a 1st HST cycle.

Diet is key to gaining. The biggest people (muscle or fat) didn't get that way by under eating....

Creatine monohydrate is another great supplement. If someone at your store tries to recommend Creatine Ethyl Ester, don't buy into the hype. Each is as effective as the other, just go with the cheapest per serve.

Kuru,
Sorry man my monitor went out on me and I just got it replaced. I use natures way fish oil. It's made to release in the intestine so no fish smell.

Biotech is a pre post workout drink. I formulated my own though because of cost. I drink a weight gainer with 50 grams of carbs 25 grams of protein with basic aminos. Most dont have enough BCAA's so I buy like glutamine and put it on the side. I drink that before, during, and after workout only and then I eat another meal like an hour after that (usually after I stretch and shower). This has helped with recovery time. It's also said to help you return to an anabolic state faster after a workout.

Creatine was also a big help. I take 5 grams a day with my green tea. Any micronized type is fine. I think I pay $15 bucks for 100 uses.

Once you get this all down and get a habit going it's really easy. If you find it hard eating so much try splitting it up into smaller meals through out the day. I eat ALL day long. I'm eating right now actually, lol.

I want to mention something else. You will be spending more each month on food then you are used too, so make sure you factor that in. I went from $120 a month to $550 a month for food and supplements. It was tough at first, but I found places I could cut.

Kuru

Counting calories is certainly the best way for you to know how far or how short you are from the traget!

You gotta eat more that is for sure, if you wanna gain some mass.

I would not worry too much about the frequency with HST as the loading is a lot more frequent in any case so you would get the muscle groups to work evry second day for the whole cycle and that is definitely better than a lot once weekly
happy.gif

There is sone excellent articles selected for people just like you on the general training forum, we have just added all the articles we think are of good use for starters and even more advanced HST'ers, here's the link:

Topic to keep - all info required to HST properly

Have a good time, and hey...get some growth while at it
laugh.gif

Ciao,

Fausto

kuru79, Im also an engineer, I felt the same way. It was love at first sight
laugh.gif

Nice to know we've got new people who actually like the science behind it.
thumbs-up.gif

Count calories, understand the principles of muscle growth and apply it, and you won't be skinny for long.

Oh, and of course, rest. Try to get enough sleep, and control your stress levels.

And last thing: there is really a lot of individual differences when it comes to training (but that doesn't mean the principles behind muscle growth are "changed"). Ultimately, you really have to manage your own training - like gauging how much you need to eat, how often you can train, how long you can train, how much rest you need to grow and how much rest before you can workout again, etc.

Regards and good luck! :)
-JV

Back