neutral grip chinups

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Width is simply a matter of size.  Large lats look wide, small lats don't.</div>
Yeah, guess I am just getting impatient.  My lats ARE definitely wider than a couple of cycles ago, but we all want to grow faster! I did like the neutral grip last cycle and could definitely feel it in the lats, so I'd say it should work for you.

Unlike Sci and some of you other folks, I can definitely pull more with a supinated grip than a neutral grip. This isn't just a neural thing either as I have been doing neutral grip chins for longer than supinated grip. The BIG downside for me with supinated grip chins is that they knacker my wrists and forearms with my heaviest loads which is counterproductive. Because of this, next cycle I will stick to neutral grip chins the whole cycle.

I tried them before and found them very difficult compared to supinated chins. My power rack has two handles built in to the top bar for this specific kind of grip though, so I may give them another shot and see how it goes. I haven't attempted that kind of grip in a long time, so maybe it will be more compatible with me now.

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 10 2007,20:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unlike Sci and some of you other folks, I can definitely pull more with a supinated grip than a neutral grip. This isn't just a neural thing either as I have been doing neutral grip chins for longer than supinated grip.</div>
This makes sense to me. Supinated has more bicep assistance, followed by neutral with pronated the least I think.

If this is the case, although you may able to use a bigger load with neutral grip, is this benefit negated by the use of the bicep as compared with pronated grip where you may not be able to pull the same weight but hit the target muscle group without as much assistance?

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 11 2007,07:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If this is the case, although you may able to use a bigger load with neutral grip, is this benefit negated by the use of the bicep as compared with pronated grip where you may not be able to pull the same weight but hit the target muscle group without as much assistance?</div>
I know what you're saying but then you could extend that argument to isolations and conclude that they hit the target muscle with less assistance and are therefore preferential...

It would appear that the method with which you can use the most weight would be the best overall. Assuming that the ROM's are equal. For most all of us, that excludes supinated grip, except for weird guys like Lol...?

Hey Quad, wraps wouldn't touch it. The problem is the extreme wrist rotation under load when chinning. It just isn't a good position to start pulling from. When the loads are lighter (just body weight) it's not too bad but add 50lbs and that's when the weak links start to show.

If I reduce range of motion and keep my elbows bent at the lowest point then it is much more comfortable because supination of the hands is much easier. Anyway, I'm sticking with chins and pulldowns with neutral grip from now on. If my bis then need more work I'll have to hit them separately.

Anybody tried using a seated row handle over a chinning bar to do close neutral grip chins? Think I'm going to get one for my chinning bar at home.

prd{BE96F446-3DE3-4CE8-9666-80B52947DC2F}.jpg

or

prd{03B3A2EC-1681-49A3-84C1-571224F45AD4}.jpg

<div>
(robefc @ Apr. 11 2007,03:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know what you're saying but then you could extend that argument to isolations and conclude that they hit the target muscle with less assistance and are therefore preferential...</div>
Good point, but maybe not a good comparison as we are comparing the benefits of the same movement with different grips.

So according to the logic of the greatest load, barbell bent over row done with supinated grip &amp; increased bicep involvement with a greater load would be more effective than if it was done with a pronated grip and a lesser load, in terms of back developement?

Neutral pull ups are definitely on the menu now to assess if the greater load is more effective for me than concentrating on the form that isolates the target muscle best.

<div>
(DanOz @ Apr. 11 2007,14:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(robefc @ Apr. 11 2007,03:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I know what you're saying but then you could extend that argument to isolations and conclude that they hit the target muscle with less assistance and are therefore preferential...</div>
Good point, but maybe not a good comparison as we are comparing the benefits of the same movement with different grips.

So according to the logic of the greatest load, barbell bent over row done with supinated grip &amp; increased bicep involvement with a greater load would be more effective than if it was done with a pronated grip and a lesser load, in terms of back developement?

Neutral pull ups are definitely on the menu now to assess if the greater load is more effective for me than concentrating on the form that isolates the target muscle best.</div>
Well I'd say is a good comparison if we're discussing targeting a muscle group with less assistance from other muscles (which is what you said). Isolations are the obvious end point of that line of thinking.

I always assumed my underhand grip chin was stronger than neutral chin due to biceps being in a better line of pull - I might check now though due to what others have said. Actually I can hammer incline curl more than I can conventionally incline curl so I guess my reasoning might be out but I can't figure out why that is!

With respect to rows - I used to do them underhand as well as biceps were my priority...changed to overhand but not really sure why
wow.gif

Cheers

Rob

I'm the opposite - I've always done pronated rows rather than supinated - guess everyone is different and there's only one way to find out what works best for you.

Lol, I think the row handles are great, but I would use a chainhook instead of putting them over the bar. Over that bar and you can't come all the way up: the bar is in the way. With a hook set, the bar would be in line with your shoulders, and you can pull to the chin, rather than the top of your head.
As for limiting the ROM at the bottom; good idea. That can save your bicep tendons.

Tried neutral grip neg chins last night, liked them. First set went very well, next one not so good, I was pretty wiped out from deadlifts though.

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 12 2007,21:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tried neutral grip neg chins last night, liked them.  First set went very well, next one not so good, I was pretty wiped out from deadlifts though.</div>
I hear you, liege....I don't do deads and chins in the same workout anymore. In fact, I alternate workouts around them. One week it's chins, the next it's deads.

hmm...neutral grip chins sounds like a great idea..i'll try them and see if i can lift more weight with them

OT:
can i do pendlay rows with an underhand grip?

thanks liege..i want to do them that way because my wrists hurt when doing an overhand grip so I can't pull it far up

Have you tried overhand grip with an EZ bar? May help with your wrists.

I know a few people that row with an underhand grip - more bicep involvement is my understanding.

Back