nkl's training log

nkl

Finally it's time to get into the logging business.
smile.gif

Intro
I'm beginning my 2nd year on HST. But I had a little bad start - coming off a 5 week SD (vacation...) I entered the gym and started out with my 15s (although I had lost more strength than I predicted - so it was more like 10s). After one week I pulled my lower back when unloading after a backbreaking set of bent over rows (after some sets of squats - stupid huh?). I guess the lower back was to fatigued too handle the strain of removing the plates (bad form). Well, not able to lift free weights I figured I at least could try the machines in the gym when I returned. The next week I substituted the standing overhead press for something similar. Yeah, guess what - I pulled I muscle in my neck, due to the weird angle of the machine lever's trajectory! Double bad! So now I have to just sit and wait for the pulls to heal up. To make it worse, the gym owner removed the power rack the other week so now I do not have a place to squat and bench (no spotter)! The gym is packed with fancy new machines now. Oh, did I mention I came down with a cold, too! Maybe I find a way to survive this...  
tounge.gif

Instead of doing nothing while waiting for the injuries to heal I did some reading... I dug up a copy of No-Nonsense Muscle Building by Vince Del Monte. He argues for a very high caloric intake to gain muscle and warns that near-obesity is unavoidable. When I did put his calculations (actually they come from Dr. John Berardi) into my Excel spreadsheet and played around a little I was baffled at the enormous surplus he recommendended (try the online calorie calculator at http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/vince_calc.html to see for yourself - and chose the advanced mass gaining strategy).

Nutrition
Of course I take his advise with a grain of salt, but I will (if I can manage it) try the EOD strategy (24h/24h) with these numbers. I base my trust in this on my reasoning in the recent ABCDE thread and my previous Optimal cutting/bulking IF/PSMF thread which originated from the  Flexibility of Intermittent Fasting thread (among other sources) in the nutrition section.

On off days I will remove as many calories as the surplus on the workout days - so the weekly total will be maintenance (that is, one of the weekdays will also need to be maintenance). I expect to cram down a whopping 4900 kcals on workout days and starve myself silly with 1300 kcals on off days (PSMF of course). Call me crazy! My maintenance should be 3100 if my calculations are correct. If I gain without a upward swing in BF% then I will know how well the strategy works. Else, change the variables some and see what happens.

As for the macronutrient distribution I will follow a 35-E% protein, 45-E% carbs, and 20-E% fat scheme, known from Gerard Dente's book, Macrobolic Nutrition. Only I chose to spread them out over 48 hours. Practice as I preach - Very few carbs before workout, then comes the onslaugth. The bulking cycle ebbs out at the next morning - then awaits the long cut until the next workout.

But before this, I will take some time to heal and do a cutting EOD to trim down a size. Maybe I will be back on track by the end of next week.

Exercises:
I do a A/B split like this (M/W/F):
A: Chins, Dips, Deadlift (or sub DL with leg curl/leg ext if necessary)
B: Rows, Bench, Squats (or sub Sq with leg curl/leg ext if necessary)
Auxiliary A&B: BB Curls, BB Press, Abs, Wrist Extensions
Very little cardio at the moment
The previous maxes have diminished so I expect to back off some on the reps at least.

I figured Squats and BoR was a bad combo for the lower back so I rearranged some. Only the Deads on A tax the low back, and Squats on B. I put them in the middle so I will be properly warmed up before these (Rippetoe put deads last becasue of this). The rowing will be done with chest support to relieve the lower back. With no power rack for bench (as substitute for a spotter) I think I will back off some on the reps and be really careful to have perfect form before I progress (not to mention locking out every rep and especially before I rack).
Besides the gym, I will do some grip work at home and at work.

Stats:
I'm 166 cm in length (5 ft 5 in)
Current weight is 71 kg (156 lbs)
Skin caliper says 15 mm at waist (approx. 15 % BF)

I did not gain much weigh from one year on HST but I have had a good body recomposition (wife agrees) and strength has increased. I believe I have eaten too few calories to gain lbm (I expended more than I ate, I discovered last night, when I did a thorough analysis of calorie expenditure), so I will se what happens when I deploy my revised nutrition plan. 2 years back I was overweight, but dropped 33 lbs (but leveled out before I had a chance to glimpse any abs). Unfortunately I didn't have time to hang out in the gym at that time, so I lost equally much beef. My bad. Now I know better.

End note
I'm not sure how frequent I will be in this section. The autumn is packed with action at my work (I'm a lecturer at a technical university in Sweden, called KTH. The department I work in is aptly named School of Health and Technology).

Enough of my ramblings - See you!  
wink.gif

Your comments concerning size gain over the last year seemed to fit into something I was reading earlier:

John Berardi on the "Texas Study."

Now, I'm not the world's biggest Berardi fan, so take some of this with a grain of salt, but the "gist" here is very important to absorb. Training alone does NOT produce that profound of body composition changes for people, unless you already happen to be eating well in the first place.

Stated differently, I think it's critical to have a clear goal in mind and then pursue that goal, specifically, with some means of measuring your progress towards said goal.

If you want to increase muscular weight, you need to eat in a way that has you consistently gaining weight. If you are not gaining weight you are, by definition, not eating enough. Obviously, you can check the scale to see it consistently moving upward. If you are gaining too much fat, then you can problem solve from here - cut back a little on the total kcals, modify the macros a bit, modify training volume etc.

But yes, think of training as planting seeds, but these seeds will never properly grow without goal-specific nutrition put into place and consistently tracked.

Thanks for joining, Soflsun and Mikey!

I agree on the Texas Study, Mikey. I was a little afraid of balloning up after my 33 lbs (15 kgs) drop (on a pure low carb diet, I might add). I have reason to believe my metabolism did drop significantly during the year(!) on this diet regimen. By the end of the year I begun to put on some weight again, and it was not muscle, so I decided to get my bearings correct and studied the topic in depth (as you all know by now). So when I started with HST last year (been lifing on and off during the previous years) my metabolism was a lot more sluggish than it is now. But I did not change my estimate of caloric expenditure during the year and did not count my calories that rigorusly either (not until this early year).

Recently (during the summer) I revised it to 2400 kcals, based on some estimates, and planned a proper diet, or should I say proper nutrition regimen. Yesterday I pulled out some calorie expenditure sheets and did a thorough examination of what really went out. I was surprised to see that I had eaten way under maintenance even when I thought I had been bulking (hence the apparent no gain result). The metabolism is still a little sluggish from a long time deficit - it takes time to reset the metabolism after a long time drop (starvation effect). From my analysis I seem to be more active than I presumed (working in an office, biking to and from work, plus some extra home and outdoor activities shouldn't be that taxing I believed, but they ate away on my calories anyway). I hope I have this fixed by now. Now is time for some gains (without putting on a spare tire again). I plan to track this one better and do adjustments when necessary.

This morning I weighted in at 70,3 kgs (155 lbs), that is 700 grams lighter than yesterday. Eating less than 1000 kcals did flush out some water evidently.

The cold keeps me away from the gym today (I have only a raw throat, but back home they are really sick). Preparing lectures before the students arrive next week. Well, most of the lectures are ready, so I killing some spare time here at work.

<div>
(soflsun @ Aug. 15 2008,3:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good luck!  What are your macros going to look like on off days?</div>
I forgot to answer your question, Soflsun. The macros on my off day will be 156,9 g protein (i.e., 2,2 g/kg), 85,8 g carbs and 35,1 g fat (in other words (49%;27%;25%). That is 1286 kcals (-1650 kcal below maintenance). The carbs are mostly from milk (GI 34 = very low GI) and vegetables.

On workout days it will be 409,6 g protein! (i.e., a mindbreaking 5,8 g/kg), 625,2 g carbs and 88,2 g fat (33%;51%;16%). That is 4933 kcals (+1650 above maintenance). It will take 9 hours to devour all the carbs (if I can make them fit) together with proteins and fat. That is some 3893,4 kcals worth of post-workout gorging. If I do not grown on this, I'm not sure anything else will help.

Over 48 hours this will equal 566,5 g (i.e., 4 g/kg), 711 g, 123,3 g (36%;46%;18%) with a total of 6219,6 kcals, which is my new estimated maintenance level for 2 days. But that is not the whole story. Due to TEM I will only get 5392,3 kcals to grow on, but that has been taken care of in the calculations, already. If my metabolism is sluggish this will be above maintenance and I will quickly grow thicker in more ways than one.

I noticed a flaw in Dr. Berardi's calculations (from the Vince's book). He added calories for the termic effect of food (15% of food intake if high protein intake) while putting together the needs, instead of compensating this in the actual intake.

This is his formula: (FFM x 22 + 500) x activity factor + met. cost of exercise + FFM x 0.15 + surplus
For me this is: (63 x 22 + 500) x 1.6 (incl. exercise) + 63 x 0.15 + 1650 = 4678
But I think this should be: [(FFM x 22 + 500) x activity factor + met. cost of exercise + surplus] x 1.15
That is: [(63 x 22 + 500) x 1.6 (incl. exercise) + 1650] x 1.15 = 5368
That is a BIG difference - 690 kcals to be exact.

By the way, I actually use the Katch-McArdle original values in the equation to compute my RMR, instead of Berardi's values. This changes the equation to: [(FFM x 21,6 +370) x activity factor + met. cost of exercise + surplus] x 1.15
This gives 155 kcals less than Berardi's calcluation (don't know why Berardi changed the original equation).

I did calculate the TEM for my nutrient regimen and it was 13%. Adjusting the surplus/deficit to +/-1350 kcals I get 4961 kcals on workout days and 1506 kcals on resting days. The difference is an added 220 kcal on resting days, and 60 kcals less on my maintenance day.

For those who are interested, TEM for protein is 25%, carbs 8% and fat 3%.

nkl:

Over at Lyle's the issue of 'how many extra calories to sustain growth&quot; came up.

I see from old posts that Martin Berkhan seemed to make something like what you're doing work...as in, 1000+ over maintenance on lifting days.

Lyle however said a natural can't usually make more than 500 + per day usable.

So I'm going to be watching you real close because it will have not a little influence on how I tweak things for myself coming fall!

I hope you turn into a tank!

(are you a hard gainer? I suspect this is also relevant. I get fat very easily!)

nkl,

I'm kind of thinking along similar lines as being. What's the benefit of such a drastic cut and bulk? Why not even it out a bit more as not to put on too much fat on workout days AND possible risk lean muscle on non-workout days. Might this not be detrimental on both ends?

Thanks, Being! I'm not a hardgainer. I put on fat very easily. I have not dared to bulk yet. I was trying to slim down first - but that seem to be a hard target without beefing up first, because my metabolism sucks after so long time of a slight deficit. I need to stroke that fire up first.

Having a cold is not my ideal state so this day I stayed in bed. Possibly only 1700 kcals (BMR) - talk about low calorie expenditure! I played it safe and got somewhere around 1000 kcals in (probably lowering my metabolism even further). Aimed at 800 but got soft and ate some ice cream (got a sore throat, poor me). Longing for getting better and start with my program. It's been a week since my last workout. Compared to the recovery time of HIT fanatics that's perfectly normal, but for us HST'ers, that's considered a SD!

BTW, I found a mathematical tool to compute fat oxidation, but it is not very useful for EOD analysis. The formula is actually quite simple (just plug it into Excel and use it):

FatOx = f<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> x E = ((C / F) * I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> - I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> + E) / (1 + C / F)

where C = 10.4 x 9.4/1.8 (10.4 is an individual constant and the numbers 9.4 and 1.8 are energy densities of FM and LBM)
F = Fat mass in kg
I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> = Ingested fats i kcal
I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> = Ingested non-fats (carbs+protein)
E = Energy expenditure
f<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> = fraction of fats = FatOx / E
NonFatOx = I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> + I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> - FatOx

How do you use it? The equation predics how fat oxidation rates adapt to changes of fat intake, non-fat intake, energy expenditure, and body fat mass. In other words, you may check if you oxidize your ingested fat or if you are left with a surplus of fat that is stored. The same goes for non-fats (and LBM). It's easy to see that fat oxidation drops sharply when you ingest a lot of carbs and protein. The equation does not take into account liver and muscle glycogen stores so it does not predict short-time fluctuations in caloric intake. However it is pretty accurate on long term (2+ days). I've tried the formula and I did get good results (and now I know I will positively gain fat on bulking days! And hopefully loose some on cutting days...). But, hey it's a tool, nothing more.

For a peek of its use and prediction capabilities, check this article: &quot;How Adaptations of Substrate Utilization Regulate Body Composition&quot; by Kevin D. Hall et al.

Soflsun, yes it might. I'm probably going to ramp this up during an initial week and see what happens. I can't go all out at once. But the high deficit/surplus might actually be necessary. On an EOD your liver glycogen should be about empty when you hit the gym. After your training session you are somewhat glycogen depleted. The first thing that happens when you start eating after the workout is that the energy stores are refilled, both muscle and, to a part, the liver. These energy stores can hold some 2300 kcals, depending on your size (300 kcals of liver glycogen and another 2000 stored in your muscles). Now, while not completely glycogen depleted (anyone who know UD2.0 knows what extremes that takes), I'll expect I might deplete about 20-30% of the muscle glycogen during one workout. So after the workout (following a low-carbish day) that is perhaps 800-900 kcals that is channeled straight to the energy stores in order to achieve an energy balance. After that, the surplus loading begins. Does it now make sense to have this great surplus?

About the deficit, studies have shown that even 800 kcal diets do not eat very much of your protein (its about 2% of the energy expenditure), especially if you provide enough calories from carbs. Then very little new glucose needs to be converted from protein. About 100 grams will do. The rest is protein (2.2 g/kg) with some tag-along-fat.

<div>
(nkl @ Aug. 16 2008,5:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">BTW, I found a mathematical tool to compute fat oxidation, but it is not very useful for EOD analysis. The formula is actually quite simple (just plug it into Excel and use it):

FatOx = f<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> x E = ((C / F) * I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> - I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> + E) / (1 + C / F)

where C = 10.4 x 9.4/1.8 (10.4 is an individual constant and the numbers 9.4 and 1.8 are energy densities of FM and LBM)
F = Fat mass in kg
I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> = Ingested fats i kcal
I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> = Ingested non-fats (carbs+protein)
E = Energy expenditure
f<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> = fraction of fats = FatOx / E
NonFatOx = I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>F</span> + I<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>L</span> - FatOx</div>
Watch out! Posting formulae like is gonna get Colby interested.
wow.gif

I confess that much (most?) of this goes over my head, but I am reading with interest, just the same.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">About the deficit, studies have shown that even 800 kcal diets do not eat very much of your protein (its about 2% of the energy expenditure), especially if you provide enough calories from carbs. Then very little new glucose needs to be converted from protein. About 100 grams will do. The rest is protein (2.2 g/kg) with some tag-along-fat. </div>

This seems to be the case. Hence on UD2.0 the 'diet days' are constructed such that you only need take in 1-1.5gr Protein/lb LBM, because you're to keep carbs at a minimum of 50 gr per day, which purportedly short circuit the body's need to scavenge energy from protein stores.

If you bulk on UD2.0 you keep carbs at 100 gr, for the same reason, and to give an anabolic edge to the 'diet days.'

Contrast this with a PSMF, where we need hike our protein intake to 2XLBM to compensate for the lowered carbs (less than 50 by quite a bit).

Carbs preserve muscle! Gotta love it. And they make groceries CHEAPER. Some low carb bread and an apple here and there is much cheaper than another 150 grams of protein per day!

Here is something fun from one of Lyle's articles at bodyrecomposition.com:

CARBS:

Physiological requirement: 0 g/day

Practical minimum to avoid excessive muscle breakdown: 50 g/day Practical minimum for individuals who function poorly in ketosis: 100 g/day

Note: all above values assume no exercise.

Additional amount to sustain low intensity exercise: minimal approaching zero

Additional amount to sustain weight training: 5 grams carbohydrate/2 work sets

Typically recommended amounts by bodybuilding experts: 1-3 g/lb (160-480 g/day)

Typically recommended amounts by mainstream nutritionists: 2-3 g/lb (320-480 g/day)

Average intake for endurance athletes: 5 g/kg or a little more than 2 g/lb (320 g/day)

Recommended intake for endurance athletes: 7-10 g/kg or 3-4.5 g/lb (480-720 g/day)

Practical maximum for non-carb loading individuals: 8.8 g/kg or 4 g/lb (640 g/day)

Maximal intakes for carb-loading: 16 g/kg or 7 g/lb (1120 g/day)

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 17 2008,8:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Practical maximum for non-carb loading individuals: 8.8 g/kg or 4 g/lb (640 g/day)

Maximal intakes for carb-loading: 16 g/kg or 7 g/lb (1120 g/day)</div>
I tread in the safe zone then. My carbs on workout days will be somewhat over 600 grams. It will be hard to calculate every ounce of calorie from different food sources so I give it my best estimate. Well, the exact energy expenditure during a day isn't exactly easy to determine, so give or take a 100-200 kcals up or down, either from food intake or expenditure - it doesn't really matter, as long as there is no continous errors.

Stepped onto my scale this morning: 69,5 kgs (153,2 lbs). Another 800 grams down from previous low-cal day, despite bed rest and higher calories than planned. Today I aim for maintenance cals, although low-carbish. I hope this will help keeping the metabolism somewhat on track. The cold is getting better, but I'm still fatigued (I tried vacuuming, but was exhausted after two rooms).

Couldn't sleep tonight after so much bed rest during the day so I dug further into the mathematical tools. The author of the original equation have published another paper that expand the equations so they can take into account carbs and proteins (not just non-fats) and better predict lbm changes. From what I have read the predictions are very good,  but the author didn't believe the fluctuations of glycogen storage would be of any importance in the long run, so he does not give us any help there. How these fluctuations affect other oxidation rates we have to figure out ourselfes. I might be able to relay more on this later on, when I have played around a little.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How these fluctuations affect other oxidation rates we have to figure out ourselfes. I might be able to relay more on this later on, when I have played around a little. </div>

I'm very interested in this. More on this later!

Just a glimpse...according to UD2.0 glycogen depletion/workouts ramp up catecholamine levels and fat oxidation in muscle tissue. Further if one become depleted enough, glycogen super compensation becomes a possibility (16g/kg LBM of carb intake) and at the same time the body continues to oxidize fat at a high rate for about 24 hours. Would this derail the equation? I have to look at the math more carefully.

One option you may want to consider, nkl, is throwing in 1-2 depletion workouts a week on your 'off days' to ramp up the hormones and fat burning. If you can afford the time and possess sufficient masochism that is
smile.gif

Blade uses an EOD routine just like this, 5X5 reduced volume 3X per week, and depletion workouts + low cal 2-3 times per week. Its all on Lyle's 'old forum' if you're interested. Its like his hybrid of EOD and UD2.0.

Hm, yes, it's interesting! During this autumn I will be hard pressed to even get to the gym 3x week, so the extra workouts will be a future engagement.

I think the reason the equation's author (Kevin D. Hall) doesn't go into detail on the glycose storage issue is that over time the substrates going in will eventually get oxidized, but in the short time span we are theorizing on (trying to trick the system to work for us), the equation does not take into account any storage capacity - Or does it? I think not. The equations simply refer to the rate of oxidation depending on the availability of all the substrates. To make anything useful out of it for our tinkering on EOD and UD2.0 schemes, we need to add extra variables into the equations (somewhere) to take into account for storage of glycogen (protein and fat is pretty obvious). And as we know, the thing with time dependent capacity for supercompensation and individuality will make this a lot harder to work on. You might need to build a program, using these equations, to properly conduct simulations, where you alter the storage capacity over time, and adjust the depletion severity depending on reps and workload - No, this is a little too much for me. But, ah, the potential!  
cool.gif

Hepp. Scale says 70.0 kgs (154.3 lbs) after yesterdays 1800-something kcals. I did throw in a plate of macaroni (puny size - 50g dry) and a big plate of corn, peas, and small peppers (all this considered vegetables), so there migth be some water regain involved. Today I aim for 800-1000 kcals again. I wish I had the opportunity to visit the gym, but I'm careful not to spoil my chances of getting better. I figure, some loss of LBM will be unavoidable, but I plan to recover that during the coming weeks.

I did find an article that dealt with glycogen vs fat storage/oxidation in a computer simulation, &quot;Carbohydrate-fat interactions and obesity examined by a two-compartment computer model&quot; by Flatt JP (full text available). Protein contribution for fuel use are considered negligible (or constant). The interesting thing I found was that Flatt did take into account the effect of insulin on lipolysis. The equation he uses for energy oxidation of carbs (Cox) and fat (Fox) look like this:

Cox = 0.2 x BMR + (E - 0.2 x BMR) x (JNS x GLY) / [(GLY + TG) / (100 x FCR)]

Fox = E - Cox

JNS = GLY/(1213)^2. The effect of insulin (JNS) is computed as (JNS x GLY), i.e., depending on the stores of glycogen.

The value 0.2 is the fraction of BMR that the brain uses in normal situations (i.e., the model is not dealing with ketones when carbs are mostly depleted).

GLY + TG is the total energy body storage of glycogen and fat. The value 100 means that the stores of TG is roughly 100 times the size of glycogen. The FCR (Fat-CHO Ratio) variable is a &quot;modifier to take into account the enzymatic and hormonal regulation that influences the body fat stores in promoting fat oxidation relative to glucose oxidation&quot;. The bigger the size of TG store, the more the scale tilit toward fat oxidation. Fat reserves typically amount to 100,000-150,000 kcals, which is ~100 times more energy than present in glycogen stores (we can adjust this ratio with the FCR). It also depict how the rate of fat oxidation lessens when we achieve lower TG reserves (leanness).

Using the equation we can follow what happens in the very short time span of a day, and on very long time spans as well. The article contains so much more, so if you are intersested, take a look at it.

Preliminary results are telling: Ingestion of carbs provoke glycogen oxidation while fat ingestion does not provoke any change in fat oxidation. A change in daily carb intake, e.g., more carbs, will fill the glycogen storage more and lessen fat oxidation. So, the glycogen stored have a direct impact on fat oxidation. But that we knew, didn't we? Hence the EOD and UD2.0.

I wonder how a high protein intake influences things? From the abstracts I have read recently, this makes fat oxidation more effective, but that might have to do with a lessened carb intake. Exercise also have a positive effect on fat oxidation if combined with high protein intake (surely from hormonal impact). This adjust the p-ratio parameter C, in the previous equation system by Kevin D. Hall, to allow for LBM gains in favor of fat gains.

Scale said: 69.7 kgs (153.6 lbs) after yesterdays 1000-something kcals. Maybe some water retention? Should have been lower- but what is some hundred grams up or down? Skinfold (suprailiac) measurement was 14 mm 2 days ago - the formula says 17.5 % body fat, but that is from just one site, and the most unfavorable (aside from abdominal site). I really should try to drop more bf before I start any bulk, but it's kinda ludicrous to starve off fat and not gain any new lean mass. I'm planning to start my new routine tomorrow, when I have bought home some supplies (can't eat = can't bulk). I will start by stepping up the calories on the EOD bulking/cutting scheme over the next week and see what happens. Today I aim for 1900 kcals - lots of veggies and protein (mostly tuna and low-fat cottage cheese + protein shakes).

Yesterday I re-read the original ABCDE diet plan, especially the part on cycling protein (in part four). I think I got that covered on the EOD diet. 400 grams one day and 190 the next. Protein oxidation shouldn't burn off all those extra protein, hopefully, as protein oxidation is adapting slowly (2-3 days).

In the future I consider trying an 48h/48h scheme (with a maintenance day on sunday) just to see what extra benefits that might do, but first the 24h/24h, starting tomorrow with my 15s (again). It's time to
grow_ani.gif
Seriously.

Edit: Just wanted to share another thought with you. The risk of getting low testosterone levels due to low fat (well, lower fat) on the upcoming diet, I thought that perhaps every other day I switch carbs for fat - not on bulking days, but on cutting days. I get back to you on the details when I have figured out the details. Fat is better at keeping the satiety on low-calorie days too. Double benefit!

Good luck, nkl! Seems you have thought through this quite thoroughly, from every angle. I hope the program yields the results you're training for.

PS - Love the avatar!

Back