Olympic Gymast Physiques

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 09 2008,10:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ascent, I got sore just reading your post!    
smile.gif
</div>
HI Old and Grey
Long time not seeing you, still remember me?

Are some rings not something for you in your workout?

Ron, I don't have enough overhead room to add rings effectively otherwise I would. If you want to look like a gymnast, train like a gymnast. If you want to look like a sumo wrestler, train like a sumo wrester. The only limiting factor one has is his own level of desire and committment.
smile.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 10 2008,11:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you want to look like a gymnast, train like a gymnast. If you want to look like a sumo wrestler, train like a sumo wrester.</div>
And not to forgot: Eat as a Sumo wrester  
wink.gif

LOL. I was at a hotel in Europe once where an Olympic skiing team was staying. You should have seen what those young people ate for breakfast. It was probably more calories than I eat in a day. Amazing.

Also dont forget that there isnt a gymnast out there with that type of physique that does; 1 hour, 3 days a week workouts.

I've seen a few hand to hand performances before. Its awesome the strength they must have to do that. There is a move they do where one is doing a straight up handstand on the other's feet, his knees baring down on the hard stage floor! He then commences to lower the other one balancing on his feet down to the stage floor, like doing a 200 lb leg curl negative movement. Made my hamstrings and knees ache just seeing that!!
laugh.gif

I find gymnastics, acrobatics, and martial arts fascinating. If only I had started training as a kid, I probably would have stayed with it all this time and would be very good at it by now.

<div>
(ryolacap @ Oct. 12 2008,9:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also dont forget that there isnt a gymnast out there with that type of physique that does; 1 hour, 3 days a week workouts.</div>
Yes, but bear in mind that gymnasts are not training for hypertrophy - they have a huge skill set to learn. Think how long it takes to learn to clean and jerk properly and then consider what a good gymnast needs to master! In order to become an accomplished gymnast in the various disciplines (rings, pommel, vault, floor, parallel bars, high bar) it's going to require an awful lot of training time.

<div>
(The Long Run @ Oct. 12 2008,9:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I find gymnastics, acrobatics, and martial arts fascinating.  If only I had started training as a kid, I probably would have stayed with it all this time and would be very good at it by now.</div>
C'est la vie!

It's still possible to learn some new tricks even as an old(er) dog, which in my case meant getting hold of some rings and then starting to work through these movements:

Ring skills

FYI: the guy in the pics (Roger Harrell) is no spring chicken either. Here's an article he wrote on Adult Gymnastics:

Adult Gymnastics

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 12 2008,10:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(The Long Run @ Oct. 12 2008,9:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I find gymnastics, acrobatics, and martial arts fascinating.  If only I had started training as a kid, I probably would have stayed with it all this time and would be very good at it by now.</div>
C'est la vie!

It's still possible to learn some new tricks even as an old(er) dog, which in my case meant getting hold of some rings and then starting to work through these movements:

Ring skills

FYI: the guy in the pics (Roger Harrell) is no spring chicken either. Here's an article he wrote on Adult Gymnastics:

Adult Gymnastics</div>
When you use the rings do you use weights or just bodyweight?

Back