Post workout cardiovascular excersie

Marko24

Hi to all,
I have been using hst for two years. The system is great.

I have a question:

I wanted to know what affect 20 minutes of moderate cardiovascular exercise has on post weight-lifting muscle growth?

I usually do my weight lifting in the morning.
I usually consume ten fresh whole eggs and two glasses of juice. I divide the eggs and juice into two meals. One before weight training and one after weight traing so that I get the most benefit from the pre/post protein intake.

Directly after weight traing I ride my mountain bike for 20 minutes. I tend to go at a moderate pace so that my heart rate is elevated for most of the 20 minutes.
I was wondering if this, post weight traing cardiovascular exercise, inhibits muscle growth, even though I consume 900 calories for my two pre/post workout meals?
Am I consuming enough calories so that my body is in an anabolic state after weight training?
Will my body be in a muscle building (anabolic) state during the cardiovascular excercise?
Or a catabolic state, where my bodies fat/proteins are being burned, therefore inhibiting muscle growth?
Will some of proteins/fats/carbohydrates that I consumed be burned, and the excess proteins from my meals be used to build my muscles during the cardio training?

It's my belief that sending one signal to the body at a time works best - but then I'm really not one to advise ANYONE on cardio...
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure as long as you make up for the burnt calories later in the day, it won't dramatically effect muscle growth in a negative fashion.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 06 2009,10:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm pretty sure as long as you make up for the burnt calories later in the day, it won't dramatically effect muscle growth in a negative fashion.</div>
ah ok...

So using your example:

eg: I burn a total of 500 calories during the weight session and cardio session. You are saying that I could even consume less calories, lets say 300 calories, for the workout meals, but as long as I make up the extra calories later to produce an anabolic environment, that would be ok?

No... all I'm saying is that as long as you adjust your diet to make up for the calories burnt during the cardio, it should be ok. The timing of the calories is an entirely different matter up for debate. What would be the best? Probably to keep those calories post workout that you have right now, as long as you aren't going to, like, throw up during the cardio session or something.

I reckon it's very easy to over-think this. Your body is supremely good at figuring out how to cope with the activities you throw at it. As long as you are taking in enough protein, fats and carbs (say around 35%P, 15%F &amp; 50%C - or whatever macro. ratio works best for you) to cover all your bases you shouldn't find any real hit to muscle growth from a bit of extra cardio. A 20 min cardio session is hardly a big deal anyway. Now, if you made that a 2 hour cardio session then, yeah, you're going to have a problem with recovery, but 20 mins of moderate cardio 3 x weekly isn't going to prevent recovery or muscle growth. Just make sure you are gaining weight on a weekly basis and that will let you know that you are taking in enough extra calories.

All the best.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 07 2009,9:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No...  all I'm saying is that as long as you adjust your diet to make up for the calories burnt during the cardio, it should be ok.  The timing of the calories is an entirely different matter up for debate.  What would be the best?  Probably to keep those calories post workout that you have right now, as long as you aren't going to, like, throw up during the cardio session or something.</div>
Yep that sounds good...I read two interesting articles on the effects of cardio on muscle building just after I posted this question:

One was referenced with scientific studies.
the basis of the report was that cardio did influence muscle gains as opposed to not doing any cardio at all.
The effect of cardio was to reduce muscle growth on days where cardio was performed.
Although the intensity and length of time for the cardio sessions was not listed.

The other article stated that a maximum 40 minutes per day for no more than five days a week, at 70% max heart rate, when muscle building. This was recommended to maximise muscle gains and maintain working aerobic condition.

It also stated that performing cardio on non-weight training days was optimal to performing cardio on the same day as weight training, for maximising muscle growth.

It also mentioned that if cardio was to be perfomed on the same day as weight training, that doing post weight training cardio was recommended. The reason being that the most energy could be put into the weight traing.

As I looked around for an answer it is not easy to find relevant, accurate information.
There is a fair amount of confusion on the subject.
But the answers from yourself, and others from this site is the best, as you guys have real world experience on the subject.

Back