Preparations for a morning workout

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Stefan, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Stefan

Stefan New Member

Is there anything in particular I need to do when working out before breakfast? Will a couple of glasses of water be enough?

2. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

I would recommend a pre-workout protein drink.

If not that, you could drink a glass of milk.

If not that, I would just dirnk plenty of water as you suggested.

3. warpigs2380

warpigs2380 New Member

I was wondering the same thing. But would you have a pre and post workout protein shake? If not, which one would be more beneficial?

4. Bryan Haycock

I would certainly recommend both a pre- and post-workout protein drink. That is the whole point behind PRIMER and DRIVER. :)

It was just because he asked specifically about pre-workout that I answered the way I did.

Research indicates that a pre-workout shake is more effective at supporting protein synthesis than a postworkout shake.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206.

5. BoSox

BoSox New Member

so that would be more important than reversing the catabolic process, post workout?

6. Bryan Haycock

The catabolism stops all on its own as the need for fuel stops.

The reason a pre-workout shake stimulates protein synthesis to a greater degree than a post workout shake is because of enhanced delivery of the amino acids to the working muscle during the workout itself.

7. Stefan

Stefan New Member

Does this mean that an effective pre and post-workout drink essentially consists of a glass of milk?