Preparations for a morning workout

Stefan

Is there anything in particular I need to do when working out before breakfast? Will a couple of glasses of water be enough?

I would recommend a pre-workout protein drink.

If not that, you could drink a glass of milk.

If not that, I would just dirnk plenty of water as you suggested.

I was wondering the same thing. But would you have a pre and post workout protein shake? If not, which one would be more beneficial?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (warpigs2380 @ Nov. 04 2004,1:15)]I was wondering the same thing. But would you have a pre and post workout protein shake? If not, which one would be more beneficial?
I would certainly recommend both a pre- and post-workout protein drink. That is the whole point behind PRIMER and DRIVER. :)

It was just because he asked specifically about pre-workout that I answered the way I did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...which one would be more beneficial?

Research indicates that a pre-workout shake is more effective at supporting protein synthesis than a postworkout shake.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Nov. 04 2004,2:12)]so that would be more important than reversing the catabolic process, post workout?
The catabolism stops all on its own as the need for fuel stops.

The reason a pre-workout shake stimulates protein synthesis to a greater degree than a post workout shake is because of enhanced delivery of the amino acids to the working muscle during the workout itself.

Does this mean that an effective pre and post-workout drink essentially consists of a glass of milk?

Back