Prepping for HST

thecoffeeguy

Well, I cannot tell everyone how excited I am to try HST! I haven't been this excited about a routine in a very LONG time. I truly look forward to it. In fact, I welcome it.

This upcoming week is a prep week for me. What I mean by that is that I am going to try and get my body in shape, ready for HST. With that in mind, what are somethings I should strive for?

For example:

1) How many times should I work out with weights? 3? 4? Should I do a modified HST routine, such as M-W-F, 2 sets and try to find my 15RM for each excersie i'll be doing?

2) any other recommendations?

Also, what are good ways to determine your 10RM and 5RM? I've wondered about that, but haven't been able to find a good solution

Lastly, when using the HST calculator, just so im clearn, when you read the columns, the increased weight for a 15RM cycle is done every occuring workout:

For example, if it has the following:

155 165 175

That means, you life 155 on Monday, 165 on Wednesday and 175 on Friday?

I think that was it, but thought i'd ask.

Looking forward to it. I will post my results as soon as through a few sesssions!

Thanks everyone.

thecoffeeguy(Jason)

Right now if you haven't already found your RMs you need to do that. It is recommended that you find your RM's over the course of a week. 15 RM Monday, 10 RM Wed, 5RM Fri. Do all the excersises you are going to do in your workouts. Then take 9-12 days off doing no training at all. Use that time to map out your plan, the weights you are going to use, which workouts are going to be 2 set workouts and which are going to be 1 set workouts, etc. After your 12 day break begin your routine. the period of rest proir to starting is mandatory. It's the conditioning (deconditioning) that I think you are looking for to truly prep yourself for this routine.

Remember to use your max weight on the last workout of the rep range. Increment the weight by 5 lbs per workout building to your max.

I am starting my first HST on Oct 18th. My prep days are coming close too. I have one week left of my 2x's a week split before I begin finding my maxes.

What are your goals? How does your diet look? What type of training are you using right now? Give us some details
good luck :)

thanks david_diesel,

Are you saying, that for my prep week that I do 15 RM on Monday, 10 RM on Tuesday, and 5 RM on Friday? Is this how it follows for the HST cycle? Or is this the only time I would do this as I search for my RM? I was a little confused there.

9-12 Days is mandatory before starting. Ok.

Goas:

1.) Lose some excess fat I have. I weigh 225 right now (don't know BF%.). I'd like to drop down to 200-205 area. AFter I drop down and tone up a bit and get my BF % to 8-9%, then i'd like to shoot for 210-215 with BF around 7-9%.

It's important to me to drop this initial weight. It really bugs me right now.

2) Strength of course.

3) Working on the diet. My calorie intake is going to be around 2200-2500 a day.

I was training 3-4 days a week, mixing up body parts, using 3-4 sets, 8-12 rep ranges before I found HST. I was getting my body back into the mix.

However, for my prep week, I was wondering if someone might have a suggestion on a routine to use? SHould I use the routine example in the ABOUT HST article?

I'll use the following exercises:

-squats
-incline bench
-stiff legged deadlifts
-pull downs
-military presses (standing or sitting)
-barbell curls (olympic bar or e-z curl bar)
-skull crushers (e-z curl bar)
-bent over rows
-deadlifts
-abs

Hope that helps I'll be writing up things today for my prep week.

One last thing: When I take the 9-12 days off of training, does that include cardio as well?

THanks,

thecoffeeguy

this is the only time you will do 15/10/5 in the same week. It's only to find your maxes. When you find your maxes, make sure you note the order you perform the routine in, you will want to lay out your workouts in the same order. Work large body parts first (chest , legs, back) and leave the smaller bodyparts for the end of your workout. You don't want to fatigue your arms before you work your back. I think a great plan is to follow the outline they have laid out under the "about HST

Not quite sure about the cardio during therest period, maybe someone else can chime in.

Your plan sounds like it's solid. Diet will be key in dropping the bodyfat. I started training three years ago 160 @17% and am 160 @9% now. Looking to get to 180 @ 7% by next summer.
GRRRRRRRRRRR......I can't wait to start, the anticipation is killing me.
thumbs-up.gif

Got it. Simple enough.

I was using the routine in the ABOUT Article as a baseline example to use.

One other thing: how many sets should I do? I'm assuming 2? That is what I was going to perform.

Meant to ask you david_diesel, you said you are starting your HST routine on October 18th. Why such a long time until you can start? Reason im asking is that after my last workout this Friday (Sept. 30) im hoping to start up up my HST routine on Oct. 10, after 9 day layoff.

Would that still work for me?

Trying to learn as much as I can. Great stuff. Extremely excited!

thanks!

thecoffeeguy(Jason)

week 1-2 of 15reps...use 2 sets
week 1 of 10/5 reps...use 2 sets
week 2 of 10/5 reps use 1 set

I'm not quite sure how to structure sets/reps in week 7 & 8, I'm still researching this.

I initially planned on starting Oct 10th but my wife planned a trip so I decided to wait the extra week till after we came back. Then I could train and eat uninterrupted. Consistency has always been key for me.

Thanks again. That really helps me out.
Here is my plan:
This coming week, Monday, i'll try and find my 15RM; Wednesday, try and find my 10RM and Friday find my 5RM.
Once I get those, I will build my routine and use the HST Calculator to setup my routine.
I will use excersises listed above in my previous response.
HST Start date: October 10th.
That will allow me to also shop and setup my diet routine, as well as supplements. Will be using multi-vitamine, efa's, creatine and whey. Might get CLA if I can afford it. :)
For setting up my routine, im using the ABOUT article:
Sample HST Routine
As a guideline for setting up my routine.
I think that should be it for now.
Really appreciate the feedback.
Cheers,
thecoffeeguy(Jason)

Coffeeguy:

Are you alternating exercises? I noticed you're doing squats, SLDL and deadlifts. You're not doing them in the same workout are you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (liegelord @ Sep. 25 2005,8:40)]Coffeeguy:
Are you alternating exercises? I noticed you're doing squats, SLDL and deadlifts. You're not doing them in the same workout are you?
Hi liegelord,

No, wouldn't do all them at the same time. Is it ok to do them all in the same week?

I am doing my prep week, starting tonight. Here is what I was thinking of doing for my 15RM (finding it at least).

Would this be ok?

Squats - 2 x 15
Leg extensions - 1 x 15

Incline bench - 2 x 15

Bent Over rows - 2 x15
Pull downs - 2 x 15

Shrugs 1 x 15

Military Press - 2 x 15

Bicep curls - 2 x 15 (e-z curl bar ok?)

Skull crushers - 2 x 15 (e-z curl bar ok?)

Calve raises - 2 x 15

Ab work

Im currently trying to figure out how I am going to figure out my 15 RM, 10 RM and 5 RM this week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

thecoffeeguy

Im currently trying to figure out how I am going to figure out my 15 RM, 10 RM and 5 RM this week.

Any suggestions

just go the gym and do it..2sets try your 15rm mon 10rm wed 5rm fri..start back a week on mon 9 days sd.. :D good luck

Alright, so I was able to do my first workout on Tuesday afternoon, in searching for my 15 RM.
I have to say, this workout is tougher than I expected, but I love the feeling. I love feeling taxed and my muscles feeling tired, worked and full.
Just a few follow up questions:
1.) I started out with big excersises and finished with smaller excersises. What I noticed is that when I got to my tricpes, I did two sets of 15 with a e-z curl bar (skull crushers) and the weight I used was a little bit lower than what I would normally work out. I am attributing this to the fact that my triceps were worked indirectly by incline bench and military presses. My question is, is this normal?
2.) Also, one of my favorite back excersises is dumb-bell rows. Can I substitue these instead of bent-over rows?
And lastly, is it possible to do one more week of work to determine my 15 RM, 10 RM and 5 RM? I feel like I need to close in better on the appropriate number before I take my 9-12 day layoff and start my first HST cycle.
Just wanted to ask.
Feel great today!
Cheers,
Jason

Back