Pro's/Con's of workout every other day vs 3 days a week

Greenlantern11B

I want to gain as much upper body muscle as possible while i'm here. Would it be better to workout 3 days a week like the vanilla HST or every other day... so instead of having the weekends of i'd workout on sunday then tuesday and continue the hst cycle only the days will be a bit off....

Not sure if im explaining it right...

I was gonna run on non workout days and do leg extensions/calf raises and either squats or leg press.

I want to gain as much upper body muscle as possible while i'm here. Would it be better to workout 3 days a week like the vanilla HST or every other day... so instead of having the weekends of i'd workout on sunday then tuesday and continue the hst cycle only the days will be a bit off....

Not sure if im explaining it right...

I was gonna run on non workout days and do leg extensions/calf raises and either squats or leg press.
I personally have been doing it day on and day off but I've been working out steadily for 6 years with lots of volume. If you're starting I'd suggest no. And rest on your off days, no resistance training.

i've been going to the gym for a while now, not really seeing results until starting hst... use to stagnate and use the same weights over and over never progressing.

With the vanilla. Saturdays and Sundays are the only 2 straight days off, the workouts done every other day(minus the friday workout). So is there anything negative that would come from keeping it every other day as opposed to taking the weekend off?

Last edited:
i've been going to the gym for a while now, not really seeing results until starting hst... use to stagnate and use the same weights over and over never progressing.

With the vanilla. Saturdays and Sundays are the only 2 straight days off, the workouts done every other day(minus the friday workout). So is there anything negative that would come from keeping it every other day as opposed to taking the weekend off?

Green,

From what I've read about HST, what you want to do is probably ideal, since the optimum would be to work the muscles every 36-48 hours. IMO, it's just easier for most to use the suggested M-W-F training schedule because it's a consistent routine. I say go for it!

If you are going to workout every other day, you will be getting 7 days in every two weeks... If you do this, I suggest a split instead of fullbody seven times a week. This allows you more volume per bodypart but still sufficient frequency. For instance, I do a 3 way split and I workout 3-5 times a week, so I am hitting most of my body 3-4 times every two weeks with higher volume than I could handle if I were doing fullbody three times a week. This is easier if you are moving more weight than most or have trouble recovering adequately as well.

well i wasnt really gonna do full body i just didnt wanna hear RAWAHHHHHHHHH!??! NO SQUATS OR DEADLIFTS!!!! RAaaaaaaaaaaaGE

I was gonna do upperbody every other day and lower 2 times a week.

I was doing an Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Upper/Off split and I loved it. I would probably still be doing it if not for my forearm tendons need some extra time off and the feeling I wasn’t getting enough volume in each of my upper body workouts.

Back