Protein Poll

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by SPE, Oct 17, 2002.

  1. Steve McDermott

    Steve McDermott New Member

    We'll be expecting pictures of you with your trophy you know. :D

    Good luck

    Steve
     
  2. BIZ

    BIZ New Member

    I'll do my best Steve. Thanks! [​IMG]
     
  3. Bryan Haycock

    Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

    </span>
    <span =''>
    Good luck BIZ! We're rootin for ya!!! [​IMG]
     
  4. Spencer

    Spencer New Member

    Good luck Biz!! Wear HST on your posing trunks!! [​IMG]

    </span>
    <span =''>

    This is very confusing! For optimal muscle gain, a diet of 15%protein, 85% carbs and fats should be followed for a skinny guy?? Isnt this a tad too extreme??

    </span>
    <span =''>

    Bump!
     
  5. virtualcyber

    virtualcyber New Member

    One can do the math ... for 20% protein intake by cals.

    Say you eat 4000 cal for gain.

    This means 800 cals should be from protein, which works out to be 200 g. For 200 lb man, this works out fine.
     
  6. vicious

    vicious New Member

    Oops. Misread thread. Never mind :)
     
  7. Spencer

    Spencer New Member

    VC, Bryan says weight gain (i assume the weight gain is muscle) is greatest at 15% of calories coming from protein. How to you allocate the remaining 85% for carbs and fats? All this run contrary to everything that has been said about a mass diet, including the &quot;eating for size&quot; article. This wasnt even mention in the article. It seems Bryan is writing 1 thing and preaching the other. Bryan, i would appreciate if you would clear up this confusion. Its very contradictory and bold!
     
  8. restless

    restless New Member

    My diet actually consists of 20% pro, 35% carbs and 45 % fat. I get close to 5000 kcals a day so I get around 250 gr of protein. This has been working very very well, I've put on a lot of muscle and some fat too, but of the 20 pounds I gained since starting HST in April most is muscle. I only had a 2% increase in BF.
     
  9. Keebler Elf

    Keebler Elf New Member

    This is from the exrx site:

    This is even higher than Lemon/Tarnapolski. With this suggestion I would be eating up to 190 grams, and also only currently eating enough to be just under negative nitrogen balance.

    What do the HST nutritionists make of it?

    It's all too confusing for us laymen [​IMG]
     
  10. Aaron_F

    Aaron_F New Member

    The article is old thats for sure. From what I can tell it is based on an older piece of research that compared different protein levels on a group of olymic lifters. But failed to account for hte fact that peaking altered everything.
    Later research shows it to be overstated. There is little benifit to eating &gt;2g/kg protein. Dont sweat it too much :)
    Even Tarnosploskys later work mentions less protein for longer term trainers, just to make things more complicated.
     
  11. Keebler Elf

    Keebler Elf New Member

    Much appreciated Aaron [​IMG]

    Im pretty secure now that the 140g (1g/lbm) I have been taking in is about right for dieting or building and I just need to adjust carbs and fat to whatever goal.
     

Share This Page