Protein Poll

I'll do my best Steve. Thanks!
thumbs-up.gif

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Oct. 23 2002,7:43)]Thank you for the reply Bryan. As always, very informative!
My contest is this weekend and I plan to thank you and HSN/HST for all the support when I get my trophy. Thank you.
<span =''>
Good luck BIZ! We're rootin for ya!!!
thumbs-up.gif

Good luck Biz!! Wear HST on your posing trunks!!
thumbs-up.gif

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The ability of the body to grow is effected by the ratio of protein to carbs. It is an inverted U shaped curve where the top or highest point of the curve is a ratio of 12-15% protein to carbs (diet consisting of ~15% protein). At one peak you have all carbs, at the other you have all protein. It has to do with thermogenesis and hormones.

So, if a skinny guy wants to gain weight, he needs to plan a diet where he gets 15% of his calories from protein.
Now this may seem contradictory to the general rule of 1 gram per pound bodyweight. I'm not saying that a guy can't gain weight with more than 15% calories from protein. I'm only saying that weight gain is greatest at 15%.
<span =''>

This is very confusing! For optimal muscle gain, a diet of 15%protein, 85% carbs and fats should be followed for a skinny guy?? Isnt this a tad too extreme??

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is very different from the &quot;eating for size&quot; article and the &quot;1g/lb bodyweight&quot; advice u gave me in the past.

So, the &quot;hypertrophy is dependent only on mechanical stimulus and incoming amino acids&quot; is wrong??

What then, is the ideal carbs:protein:fats ratio for optimal muscle gains?? (for a skinny guy?)
<span =''>

Bump!

One can do the math ... for 20% protein intake by cals.

Say you eat 4000 cal for gain.

This means 800 cals should be from protein, which works out to be 200 g. For 200 lb man, this works out fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One can do the math ... for 20% protein intake by cals.

Say you eat 4000 cal for gain.

This means 800 cals should be from protein, which works out to be 200 g. For 200 lb man, this works out fine.

VC, Bryan says weight gain (i assume the weight gain is muscle) is greatest at 15% of calories coming from protein. How to you allocate the remaining 85% for carbs and fats? All this run contrary to everything that has been said about a mass diet, including the &quot;eating for size&quot; article. This wasnt even mention in the article. It seems Bryan is writing 1 thing and preaching the other. Bryan, i would appreciate if you would clear up this confusion. Its very contradictory and bold!

My diet actually consists of 20% pro, 35% carbs and 45 % fat. I get close to 5000 kcals a day so I get around 250 gr of protein. This has been working very very well, I've put on a lot of muscle and some fat too, but of the 20 pounds I gained since starting HST in April most is muscle. I only had a 2% increase in BF.

This is from the exrx site:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...It appears that weight training can also lead to a daily protein requirement that exceeds the current USRDA. It has been found that 2.0 to 2.2 g/kg/day of protein was barely sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance during moderate intensity weight training. Furthermore, weightlifter's protein requirements increased proportionally to training intensity. Research has shown that 2.0 to 2.6 g/kg/day of protein are required for periods of very intense weight training, whereas protein intakes of 2.0 g/kg/day maintained a positive nitrogen balance during periods of less intense weight training...

Paul GL. Dietary protein requirements of physically active individuals. Sports Med 1989; 8:154-176.

This is even higher than Lemon/Tarnapolski. With this suggestion I would be eating up to 190 grams, and also only currently eating enough to be just under negative nitrogen balance.

What do the HST nutritionists make of it?

It's all too confusing for us laymen
crazy.gif

The article is old thats for sure. From what I can tell it is based on an older piece of research that compared different protein levels on a group of olymic lifters. But failed to account for hte fact that peaking altered everything.
Later research shows it to be overstated. There is little benifit to eating &gt;2g/kg protein. Dont sweat it too much :)
Even Tarnosploskys later work mentions less protein for longer term trainers, just to make things more complicated.

Much appreciated Aaron
thumbs-up.gif

Im pretty secure now that the 140g (1g/lbm) I have been taking in is about right for dieting or building and I just need to adjust carbs and fat to whatever goal.

Back