Protein smell/taste

Canuck

I've been sticking pretty strictly to HST training and I'm even getting enough calories. However, my protein intake is obscenely low (as low as 75g a day). I want to take protein powder, but there's a smell/taste to it that makes me actually gag. I was wondering if anyone knows what component is causing that smell and if I could then find a protein powder that doesn't contain that.
Any other suggestions for increasing my protein intake would also be appreciated. I'm a poor student so finding money for boneless, skinless chicken breasts is pretty tough. Any other cheap alternatives?

and peanut butter. A peanut butter sandwich on high protein bread works well. Drink lots of milk. Try different powders, you'll get used to them eventually.

low carb 'pancakes' :
1 egg, 1 tablespoon cottage cheese. blend and fry in a nonstick pan or use just enough oil in a normal pan to stop it sticking.

it's cheap, tastes ok and has about 10g protein each.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (alexx @ July 15 2004,8:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 14 2004,10:55)]Tuna and Cottage cheese
And ground beef !
Too high in saturated fat for me, although I eat it is only very occasionally :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ July 16 2004,1:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 16 2004,3:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (alexx @ July 15 2004,8:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 14 2004,10:55)]Tuna and Cottage cheese
And ground beef !
Too high in saturated fat for me, although I eat it is only very occasionally :D
not if you buy the lean stuff
Even the leanest that I have seen is 5-10% by volume, and it is much more expensive. Since he is in school and broke (I remember that feeling :) ) Tuna is a whole lot cheaper, as long as you don't mind being a heavy metal experiment
laugh.gif
. Just kidding, as long as it's chunk light tuna, not yellowfin or skipperjack, it's accurance of heavy metal is small.

Thanks everyone, I'll try just eating a lot of tuna and peanut butter (I can afford that). As for the smell in protein, I thought I heard someone mention cassein as being the bad stuff. Anyone else here that, or can clarify?

bulk skim milk powder is cheaper than protein powders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Canuck @ July 16 2004,11:13)]Thanks everyone, I'll try just eating a lot of tuna and peanut butter (I can afford that). As for the smell in protein, I thought I heard someone mention cassein as being the bad stuff. Anyone else here that, or can clarify?
Bad in what way, smell? taste?
I personally prefer to get my cassein through whole food. I do use a whey shake Pre WO, but not after, I eat. I personally don't like the taste of cassein based protein mixes, sorry to say this Bryan, but Driver is some of the worst tasting stuff I have ever tasted
blush.gif
. Although it is good stuff, if I can't stomach it there is no sense in buying it (to me). I don't know about the Plus or MRP's. I haven't tried them.

I used to mix dried fat free milk with my shake, but found that even the cheap stuff (off brand) is more expensive than the gallon jugs, so I stopped and just buy the gallons.

Like Bryan said Eggs are great. Maybe that is the reason that most cassein based powders taste bad to me they use egg albumin??

Back