Quad's Log

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 29 2007,06:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just had to caulk up a house saturday, so it was fairly easy...worked out after church today and did a lot better, but no medals yet.
Squats
225x8
245x8
265x5
225x10 this way I snuck up on extra reps over the last good workout.

Flat bench
225x5
235x8
245x6 ...inch by inch...step by step...

Wide Dips
45x7
65x10
75x9...dang.

Chins
25x12
45x10
45x9...getting sloppy.

Rotators with 2.2lbs more (14.2 now) I believe they're really helping my bench: I warmed up with the 225 that hurt me as a max a while back. Thanks, Steve!  
smile.gif
</div>
Quad do you normally do this many reps for Chest?

Ummmm...yes and no. For hypertrophy I've run about like this with HST, and for strength, just one exersize. Right now I'm being instinctive and doing failure training of sorts since I'm only hitting it sporadically due to work. So I figure to hit things as hard as I can to make it count. For now.
My upper pecs have grown and the lowers have softened due to endless inclines, so I switched to flat and dips. For now.

Pretty standard with HST; couple hundred per exersize, so it depends on how many exersizes I do for a given routine. I've done as much as 3, but it really didn't seem to do any good, my chest is sort of growth-resistant.

Right now, after the deads and shrugs, after the layoff, I feel like a big, sore, pair of traps. But it hurts so good !

Forgive me if I am wrong...but I was thinking you were doing around 30 reps per exercise.

With only 1 exercise per muscle group.

or in other words 3 times a week training and 90 reps total per week.

So my thinking is if you chose two exercises you would break it up with 15 reps per exercise still equaling 30 reps.

For example

Bench press 3 sets of 10 reps = 30

or

Bench press 1.5 sets of 10 reps
Flys 1.5 sets of 10 reps equaling 30?

Or are you doing 30 reps per exercise?

Example:
15x2=30
10x2=20
5x3=15
Total 65 working reps
x 3 exersizes = 195

I think where it falls short is all the added warmup reps; overworking the muscle by the third exersize, due to excess reps, but that's just a theory.
I'm more convinced these days that two exersizes, done well, are better than 3. (130 reps)
But that may just be for me; you may benefit from more workload.

No Im with you...I got confused.

My cycle right now is

Benchn Dip
Squat Leg Press
Row Chins
Press Side raises

2 sets of 15
3 sets of 12
3 sets of 10
4 sets of 8
4 sets of 6

Roughly...my 24 to 36 rep protocal.

Pullups
45x6
45x9
70x20 max stim. Man, I don't have the patience for this; even at only 30 sec. rests. I should have gone heavier; I never rested longer.

Squats
225x5
275x7
295x4 crud.
225x10 pumpout

Flat Bench
225x5
245x5
245x6 then the last rep crashed...weights all over the place...into the fan...my nerves...

Wide Dips
45x10
65x8
65x10

Inline crunchies
135x15
155x5
225x20
260x15
280x12 Wow, the strength is zooming up on these! Good thing, since I was weaker on chest today than last. Wish I had some test.

Built my squat rack today. Too tired to work out now! I'll post pics in the home gym equipment section, with details.

Your very hard on yourself Quad. With what you've been through recently it's great that you are still bashing away. We all wish we had more test!  
biggrin.gif
 Looking forward to seeing your squat rack. I think I will build one too. I fancy some nice oak posts rather than the steel bolt together versions. Might not be practical though?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Man, I don't have the patience for this; even at only 30 sec. rests. I should have gone heavier; I never rested longer.</div>
Oh, on your Max-Stim chins you don't have to wait 30 seconds between reps. The idea of m-time is that it gradually increases over the course of the set just enough to prevent fatigue accumulating too much to prevent further reps. You could start out with, say, a 5 secs interval and end up with 30 secs at the end of the set. Sorry if you knew all that. It just wasn't clear from what you said.

No, I DIDN'T know that. Thanx. I should give MS a re-read; I'd just skimmed over it a while back and never really read it closely. My bad.

Pendlay Rows
225x9
245x6
265x3
Deads
225x?
315x7 ...and I get a call that I need to go pick up my trailer for work tomorrow...
335x6
355x3 ...I'm still kind of hacked off at the interruption. Lousy numbers but still better
than last workout.
Overhead Presses
135x6
135x10
155x4
175x0 ...aaugh!
175x1
BB shrugs
225x10
315x10
365x10 ...these will take a little getting used to with hands in front now. Took it easy.
Joe Weider Rubber Bandbench Flyes
50x12
55x12
80x10 haven't been on this thing in a couple years, but since I'd wiped off the dust...
the numbers were actually better than before! HST Rocks!

The new squat rack is great so far; I just haven't done squats in it yet. Or bench.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 12 2007,22:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">No, I DIDN'T know that. Thanx. I should give MS a re-read; I'd just skimmed over it a while back and never really read it closely. My bad.</div>
It makes a big difference. I guess the idea is to go through it as intensely as possible, but not so much so that you can't complete all the required reps. I guess that's why MS is more of an advanced technique, you really have to know your body well to do it. I'm liking it more by the day, personally...

Work is getting a little easier, doing carpentry with a good sized crew to do the grunt stuff for me again, so I may not need to continue with the full-failure style workouts every 3-6 days like I've been doing. There is the quandry as to what to do when in the middle of this cycle and I think I have an idea.
I'll continue hitting it hard, but more often, letting myself get slightly overreached and do a regular type deload of about a 3-4 day break and backing off the weights, raising the reps a bit and continue upward again. I'll continue this as I can.

I'm only not sure if I should raise the reps or not. I'll go by feel unless there's a reason I should go a certain way. I know another method is to merely drop the weights and come back up, not changing anything else. Hm.

ARM DAY
Woohoo, we got rained out early afternoon! I couldn't WAIT to hit my gym! Weigh-in 205 again.
Squats
225x5
315x4 (I was reading my deadlift log by mistake!) wow.295x4 last workout.
335x1
245x8
Bench
185x5
225x5
255x5
225x7 right wrist hurting like heck; have to wrap it tight now
Close Grip presses
135x12
185x8
205x6
225x3 heh, bench wore me out.
Chinz
45x10 Wow. Usually start with 5.
70x5
70x4
90x2
BWx18 all the way up. Chin clears bar for regulars.
Cambered Curls100x6 wide grip
100x7 narrow grip
Rotators
Wife wrestling all sweaty.

Thenk yew!
This is where instinctive training is taking me: I feel the need at the end of each set to do a pump out but with plenty of weight to keep the reps from skyrocketing. (except in my chins, where I went nutz) I'm actually regaining a little lost size from the work ordeal. This is working for me. And it feels dang good. (the workouts I mean)

<div>
(quadancer @ May 16 2007,20:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thenk yew!
This is where instinctive training is taking me: I feel the need at the end of each set to do a pump out but with plenty of weight to keep the reps from skyrocketing. (except in my chins, where I went nutz) I actually regaining a little lost size from the work ordeal. This is working for me. And it feels dang good. (the workouts I mean)</div>
Funny, I just mentioned how I'm leaning more towards &quot;instinctive&quot; training myself, and I guess that's been my MO for the last little while. It really hit home for me today, though, when I completely dodged my MS workout to go after some PBs.

....but, just curious, was the wife wrestling planned, or.........instinctive?
tounge.gif

Anyhoo, great lifts. You really need to post your PBs somewhere. I have no idea where you're at in terms of your max lifts. Are you close to any new ones?

No, I'm quite weak still from the ordeals as of late. My bests were at the end of the 5x5 cycle. My goal is to simply crush them. I haven't posted PB's due to ego.
I saw your post; thought you'd be interested in where it's taking me.

Dropped to some 5's for strength today.
Deads
135, 225, 315, 365 x 5
385 x 2
Overhead Presses
135, 155 x 5
175 x 2
155 x 5, 1  Just can't seem to get these things UP!  
sad.gif

Pendlay Rows
225, 245, 265 x 5 ...a bit sloppy last rep
225 x 10
Rubber Band Flyes
60 x 10
90 x 5, 8, 8  much improved; pecs burning!
Inline Crunches
145, 155 x 15 singles
225 x 20
275 x 15
280 x 16
305 x 10 ...I'm gonna have the biggest, strongest GUT around.
Rotators
No time for wife wrestling...gotta EAT! Weigh-in was only 204.

Back