Quad's Log

Thanx, big dawg!
I decided on some goals that should be acheivable for myself:
Pullups - 150+
Dips - 150+
Bench - 350x1
Overhead Press - 225x1 - maybe I'm dreamin' here.
Pendlay Rows - 350, reps
Squats - 450x1
Deads - 500x1
Shrugs - 600 barbell, reps
Shrugs - 700 side grip, reps
Incline DB's - 120x1

Good goals Quad. I want to get my presses up to 100kgs too but my left shoulder is weak at the moment and I'm still a long way off that. Currently, I can get a strict 95 db press with my right arm but not a chance with my left.

Well bro, I don't have enough sense for that! I got out of working Saturday by doing a long one friday, so slept in a bit and worked out, feeling better, just not best.
Overhead Press
135x5
155x5
165x3
175x1
155x5 altogether about the same as last workout

Deads
155, 225, 315, 365 x 5
385 x 3
405 x 0  oh, where did it all GO???

Pendlay Rows
225, 245, 265 x 5
285 x 3 ...now that's more like it!

Wide Dips
45x10
65x10
70x8
80x7

VERY wide Pullups
BW x 9, 10, 10
Narrow grip x 15

Just happy to be maintaining for now. I fixed our new (used) treadmill with a homemade speed control and need to start using it. Not that I will; I just need to.
I just noticed that my instinctive cycle is taking me into four sets per exersize. I guess that must be my magic number!

<div>
(Lol @ May 21 2007,08:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good goals Quad. I want to get my presses up to 100kgs too but my left shoulder is weak at the moment and I'm still a long way off that. Currently, I can get a strict 95 db press with my right arm but not a chance with my left.</div>
The way I see goals is that they help you focus, plan, and motivate. But if you don't make one, it's not the end of the world: you've done more than you would have without the goals.
You just have to be careful not to get a lackluster attitude about it and start thinking &quot;Oh, I'm not gonna make it anyway&quot; or &quot;It just doesn't matter&quot;. The point to remember for me it that it IS a Goal and I should sacrifice and strive or I definitely won't make it.
Again, my biggest enemy is fatigue from work. When I'm out of work, I feel like a normal person half my age. My wallet shrinks and I get larger. When I have work, it's usually a rush, long hours and such, and the wallet grows while I shrink. (or pay bills due, anyway)

Got sick at work yesterday, took today off. It selt like some kind of general overload; nausea, fatigue, nerves. Slept in and prepped for workout (ain't we crazy?).
Aka Slapshot's pestering, I just had whey, milk, water, and only one banana for carbs in the shake. Weigh-in 205.
Bench
225 x 5
255 x 4
265 x 3
285 x 1 and failed second. Spotter pegs on squat rack worked great.
Squatz
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 2 w/ poor ROM. Hips and back didn't feel right.
225 x 10
Band Flyes
80 x 12
90 x 8
100 x 5, 4 Just realized that I have TWO bands on each side, doubling the weight, so these numbers should be 160, 180, and 200. Checked with scale and sure enough, it's WAY over what the meter says.
Chins
45 x 10
70 x 5
90 x 3, 2
45 x 8 and something is hurting in my left lat where it attaches at the armpit. Hm.
French Presses
100 x 5, 8 lat buggin' me; I stopped.

Aka Slapshot's pestering, did 15 min. treadmill walk (incline) and 15 min. standing elliptical thingie. Then a long Tool song came on and I hit the treadmill again for 5 min HIIT. Amazing power in music, but I just remembered why I hate cardio...

Quad,
Just wanted to let you know that your log has motivated and inspired me (as well as others I'm sure), to hear you overcome the drains of long work hours, frustrations of age , and various other less than ideal dynamics (for lifting) with a relentless determination and somehow manage to throw up some very impressive numbers makes your log the first thing I click on those days when sloth, fights with the wife, overwhelming dynamics of life ect. transpire to rob me of my &quot;oomph&quot;.
It NEVER fails to get me going and I just thought it would be selfish to benefit so much from your log and not tell/acknowledge you. You sir are a pitbull if ever there was one...
smile.gif

I know how the long hours feel. Today is my first day off after working 8 days in a row, 10.5 hours a day. Heh, fun stuff.

Anyway, very nice numbers. Very good row, I'm really impressed. Your goals sound reasonable and are similar to what I'm looking for this year (or maybe the next...)

Hope that lat pain is just nothing. It would suck to get injured at this point.

Wow, thanx Russ: I wouldn't have thought that my &quot;lesser&quot; and stressed workouts would be any inspiration...and I didn't really think anyone paid much attention to the logs. I only watch about 5 or 6 of them myself, being acquainted with you guys.
I sort of shook my head today and grimly staggered in there; my determination is to not lose what I've worked so long and hard for, with lower hormones and all that.
I start a new project tomorrow, that will take two months to finish...and there's a couple of gyms in the area...I may be gettin' down with the 'bruthas' soon. Hopefully, I'll be doing all or mostly management, so my strength should return.

Tot, I've always felt that bench and rows should be within around 20% of each other, and I think carpentry has given me an advantage for them to nearly match. I wish my squats would come up: I'm feeling weaker than ever there. Ladders have that effect on me I guess. I know you're on your feet for long hours in the restaurant business, and that is tough on a workout. You have to lift just when your bod is saying, &quot;hey man, time to splat on the couch!&quot;

Squats definitely seem to be the most effected by daily activities for me, maybe that is the case for you as well.

Rows vs. Bench - I feel they should be pretty close to each other also. I see a lot of guys with monstrous bench numbers and but that row barely anything. And usually that is without using good form on the rows, which can really add a lot to your poundage. It's nice to see this isn't the case with everyone.
285lbs x 3 is damn good. Now, my short term goal is going to be to achieve that for myself. Heheh. I'll do some rows on Sunday, see where I'm at.

Q has been my hero for a couple years running, for exactly the reasons stated.

Yes, age is only a number, but as someone in his late 30s, that's very easy for me to say. I can't imagine I'll give this up by my 50s, but I see how my body sometimes creaks &amp; groans with the stresses I'm giving it now!

Aw Pshaw!!!  
blush.gif

Got in a friday workout after a fair night's sleep and two days of normal work, but it stunk. ALL my numbers were down and everything seemed heavy, although I felt okay. Got to check my scale; the gym I went to showed me at 201!
Outside of them having no air or fans in this Georgia heat, I blame this one on Slapshot. Lowcarbs suk.
Last time (27th)                                  This time (1st)
Overhead Press                                
135x5                                               135 x 5
155x5                                               155 x 1, 2
165x3                                               135 x 5
175x1
155x5 altogether about the same as last workout

Deads
155, 225, 315, 365 x 5                     225 x 5
385 x 3                                             315 x 2
405 x 0  oh, where did it all GO???   365 x 1, 2
                                                        315 x 6
Pendlay Rows
225, 245, 265 x 5                             225 x 6
285 x 3 ...now that's more like it!     265 x 4
                                                        275 x 3
                                                        295 x 3/4, 3/4
Wide Dips
45x10                                                BW x 14
65x10                                                45 x 10
70x8                                                   70 x 9, 6
80x7                                                   BW x 14
                         Pullups, 'cuz I was just MAD..3 sets.
One more bad workout like this and I SD. It may just be heat, stress, anger and depression. No money coming in yet.

Back to OSAD for now. Did chins yesterday:
BW x 8
45 x 10
75 x 5
70 x 6
60 x 6 nothing spectacular.
Today I did Bench:
135 WU
225 x 5
255 x 4
275 x 2
225 x 10, determined to get in a workout.
Band Flyes
80 x 12
90 x 9
100 x 4 and I went flaaaaaat.
Started to do squats at the beginning and ya know what??? You can't do them with a SUNBURN!!!

Well, let's see, yesterday I did
ladder hauls up stairways x 5 (legs, abs)
weighted ladder climbs x 12 (legs)
Plywood cuts x 40 (forearms &amp; delts)
Manual nail drives x 300 (forearms)
Pneumatic nail drives x 1500 (forearms)
Weighted Joist lifts x 12 (delts, triceps)
Plywood hauls x 30 (splinters)
Tool setups x 60 (sweat)

Today I did:
Clipboard carry x 1
Labor yells x 3
Contractor meetings x 5
Hopefully by tomorrow my sunburn will be down and some of my energy comes back. This stuff is typical of my life...intense work to paper...sometimes one or the other lasting for weeks. Tough on training, to be sure.

Stay in there Quad. I somewhat know how you feel from trying to lift and do construction last summer.. I can't imagine how hard it'd be with an extra 15-20 years on me.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 07 2007,19:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, let's see, yesterday I did
ladder hauls up stairways x 5 (legs, abs)
weighted ladder climbs x 12 (legs)
Plywood cuts x 40 (forearms &amp; delts)
Manual nail drives x 300 (forearms)
Pneumatic nail drives x 1500 (forearms)
Weighted Joist lifts x 12 (delts, triceps)
Plywood hauls x 30 (splinters)
Tool setups x 60 (sweat)

Today I did:
Clipboard carry x 1
Labor yells x 3
Contractor meetings x 5
Hopefully by tomorrow my sunburn will be down and some of my energy comes back. This stuff is typical of my life...intense work to paper...sometimes one or the other lasting for weeks. Tough on training, to be sure.</div>
LOL!!!!!!!!!

I think you should write a book, &quot;HST for the contractor.&quot; It'll sell millions!
laugh.gif

you'll pull that 405 soon big man, and those pendlay's, damn! You win, you're 19 pounds less than me.
biggrin.gif

What's cool is when you get ready to pull the 285 and somebody asks if your going to deadlift.

We're pretty close on OH press also, you'll hit that 225. Monday I finally did bodyweight push-presses with 220, I'd love to hit it strict.

Yo Quad,

I'm just assuming you are a skater because of your screen name, so if you aren't completely disregard this. But I've got to say, I took my little sister to the rink this weekend and I was sore in places I never knew I could be lol. Talk about a different kind of workout... I don't know HOW I could go to the place for 4-5 hours at a time as a little kid. Great erector spinae workout.
cool.gif

I started skating because of the cardio it gave me, but soon it wasn't aerobic anymore since I became more efficient, flexible, balanced, and started to dance. These last few months I haven't been, but got to be in the Atlanta top 20 maybe...hard to judge freestyle since everyone develops their own style. I was a judge once...that was hard.

Back