Question:Fatigue, how to differentiate?

lanette

From what I know, there is different types of fatigues in the training context: lactic acid fatigue, CNS fatigue and muscle fatigue (is there anymore?)

What are them and how to differentiate them? (how do you feel each of them)

More importantly, what are the effects of them on bodybuilding?

When I was doing calf raise my leg was shaking during the raise part even at light weight (20 lbs) Is this related to fatigue?

Thanks for more info:D

Hi Lanette,

welcome to the boards.

my interpretations are:

muscle fatigue is the tiring/faiguing of the muscle, maybe shaking on calf raises could possibly be fatigue, although mine shake if i go slow enough and im fresh! or the lack of muscular energy. ie after 4 sets of bench press at my 5 rep max , my muscles have fatigued to the point i can no longer manage 5 reps.

CNS fatigue - symptoms of CNS Fatigue can include lack of motivation, poor mood, impaired cognitive ability. Overall tiredness. Generally Run down and over it.

lactic acid fatigue i have never heard of so can not comment. I believe lactic acid fatigue is just muscle fatigue at higher reps.

There are MANY others who can give you alot more scientific answers, but as you seem to be awaiting some info i thought id try help out with a really basic view.

Hi Lanette,

welcome to the boards.

my interpretations are:

muscle fatigue is the tiring/faiguing of the muscle, maybe shaking on calf raises could possibly be fatigue, although mine shake if i go slow enough and im fresh! or the lack of muscular energy. ie after 4 sets of bench press at my 5 rep max , my muscles have fatigued to the point i can no longer manage 5 reps.

CNS fatigue - symptoms of CNS Fatigue can include lack of motivation, poor mood, impaired cognitive ability. Overall tiredness. Generally Run down and over it.

lactic acid fatigue i have never heard of so can not comment. I believe lactic acid fatigue is just muscle fatigue at higher reps.

There are MANY others who can give you alot more scientific answers, but as you seem to be awaiting some info i thought id try help out with a really basic view.

Thanks for your response LDU.

I post this question because I saw people using various terms describing fatigue, some of them are of the same meaning (i.e. muscle fatigue = lactic acid fatigue) while some are different, there are also some who just use the word 'fatigue'... They are so confusing:confused:

Without writing a book I'll briefly explain.

Central Fatigue = Reduced spinal cortex output - not very often seen in resistance training
Peripheral Fatigue = Fatigue in the periphery - very often seen in resistance training

Peripheral fatigue can be a nervous system issue, metabolic issue, excitation/contraction (ECC) issue or a combination of above.

Lactic acid itself does not cause fatigue.

Momentary Muscle fatigue can be metabolic, neural, ECC, or several other factors.

Then you have task fatigue vs. positional fatigue, both act differently. Then you also have low frequency fatigue (LFF) vs. high frequency fatigue (HFF). Generally LFF is what you will see in endurance training and HFF in Resistance training but that isn't always written in stone.

In essence it's not necessary to understand what "type" of fatigue may be experienced but more importantly one should recognize that they are entering a fatigued state which is most easily recognized by reduced performance (strength, endurance or what have you).

Without writing a book I'll briefly explain.

Central Fatigue = Reduced spinal cortex output - not very often seen in resistance training
Peripheral Fatigue = Fatigue in the periphery - very often seen in resistance training

Peripheral fatigue can be a nervous system issue, metabolic issue, excitation/contraction (ECC) issue or a combination of above.

Lactic acid itself does not cause fatigue.

Momentary Muscle fatigue can be metabolic, neural, ECC, or several other factors.

Then you have task fatigue vs. positional fatigue, both act differently. Then you also have low frequency fatigue (LFF) vs. high frequency fatigue (HFF). Generally LFF is what you will see in endurance training and HFF in Resistance training but that isn't always written in stone.

In essence it's not necessary to understand what "type" of fatigue may be experienced but more importantly one should recognize that they are entering a fatigued state which is most easily recognized by reduced performance (strength, endurance or what have you).

So what about fatigue that occurs after a high rep (which requires rest between sets) and after a workout (which requires rest for days) ? Are they the same?

In fact, I just need to clarify about different type of fatigues people describe on their articles since they are using more than one type (lactic acid fatigue, muscle fatigue, neural fatigue, mental fatigue and fatigue itself) which make me confuse about their differences.

So what about fatigue that occurs after a high rep (which requires rest between sets) and after a workout (which requires rest for days) ? Are they the same?
No typically they are different. Momentary muscle fatigue is only fleeting and the return of force can be brought about relatively quickly. This is a type of peripheral fatigue which may be metabolic or ECC related. It most likely is not a result from reduced drive. The rest needed from one workout to the next may (and I emphasize MAY) be do to neural deficits or may be due to other fatigue related mechanisms.

In fact, I just need to clarify about different type of fatigues people describe on their articles since they are using more than one type (lactic acid fatigue, muscle fatigue, neural fatigue, mental fatigue and fatigue itself) which make me confuse about their differences.
Then first you probably should contact the author and get a clarification on what they are individually referencing. For instance muscle fatigue can include various forms of fatigue and is a general term. Again, lactic acid does not cause fatigue so my only guess is someone is either misinformed or they are applying the term "lactic acid fatigue" to the more specialized "metabolic fatgue". But metabolic fatigue can be further sub-classified by what metabolite is affected.

Again though and overall most importantly is to be able to recognize oncoming fatigue and then take the appropriate steps to counteract it, be it complete rest, reduced work or load or what ever else applies.

No typically they are different. Momentary muscle fatigue is only fleeting and the return of force can be brought about relatively quickly. This is a type of peripheral fatigue which may be metabolic or ECC related. It most likely is not a result from reduced drive. The rest needed from one workout to the next may (and I emphasize MAY) be do to neural deficits or may be due to other fatigue related mechanisms.

Then first you probably should contact the author and get a clarification on what they are individually referencing. For instance muscle fatigue can include various forms of fatigue and is a general term. Again, lactic acid does not cause fatigue so my only guess is someone is either misinformed or they are applying the term "lactic acid fatigue" to the more specialized "metabolic fatgue". But metabolic fatigue can be further sub-classified by what metabolite is affected.

Again though and overall most importantly is to be able to recognize oncoming fatigue and then take the appropriate steps to counteract it, be it complete rest, reduced work or load or what ever else applies.

Thanks Dan, is there more reference for this topic?:cool:

Back