Reduced HST

Canuck

Hi,
I don't think this question has been posted, but link me if it has:
I'm a student and find it really hard to workout 3 times a week (I average twice a week I'd say). Does HST still hold up for such limited frequency or should a different approach be taken? I know I COULD find time, but I've got my priorities the way they are right now and would like to know how to maximize my training in the time I've given it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Edit- I can't really gauge how this compares to my normal routine that I had in the summer because my diet has been lacking and wouldn't allow for gains that easily anyways.

According to the principles of HST, frequency is a key factor in achieving hypertrophy. Sure, you can do an HST routine only twice a week but you may not see the best results. If you can only workout twice a week stick to compound exercises to get the most bang for the buck. In my opinion HST twice a week beats doing some other retarded routine or nothing at all.

I agree that frequency is a key factor, that's why I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to go a lot harder (i.e. maximal weights, more sets) than what HST prescribes.

No one but you can answer that question- you just have to do what you feel will work best for your situation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Canuck @ Nov. 12 2005,1:40)]I agree that frequency is a key factor, that's why I was wondering if it would be more beneficial to go a lot harder (i.e. maximal weights, more sets) than what HST prescribes.
Going a lot harder as you put it or my favorite "upping the intensity" will not necessarily bring better gains. Actually, it would most likely lessen your gains as you would over stress you CNS and invite RBE to the party a lot earlier than you'd like.

Hey :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Going a lot harder as you put it or my favorite "upping the intensity" will not necessarily bring better gains.

Not exactly. Going a lot harder unnecesarily (e.g.,, just to feel like a tough guy) would probably be useless. But doing a little more - like an extra set - simply to maintain the number of target sets per week, for example, may be beneficial.

Of course, you should already be doing as much as you can. Now that you are only training twice a week as opposed to thrice a week, you can afford to do a little more without compromising your ability to train effectively on your next workout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Actually, it would most likely lessen your gains as you would over stress you CNS and invite RBE to the party a lot earlier than you'd like.

Nope.
1.) RBE takes sooooo long. Unless you remain at the same weight for more than a month, you won't be screwing up hypertrophy (assuming you are working with significant weights of course).
2.) Adding a few more reps, or an extra set won't be that bad for the CNS. For one he's got more rest days. And for another, as long as training to failure is avoided, it's ok.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does HST still hold up for such limited frequency
Yes, but understand that, just like every other factor of HST, lessen it and you also lessen your possible gains. By how much is hard to determine. But will it work? Yes, of course. And much better than not working out at all. So go for it, train when you can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know I COULD find time, but I've got my priorities the way they are right now
Good for you. You can always train any day, any month, any year. It's more important to attend to your studies right now.

Regards,
-JV

Hey,

jvroig thanks for the great response! I definitely understand the gains won't be as good, but I can accept that. Even if I can just maintain strength/size throughout the school year and try and bulk up over the summer I'd be happy.

I'm going to try and do more sets for each exercise and see what happens next HST cycle (I'm in my last week of drops/negs right now). I'm a young guy, I'm sure my CNS can take the stress with around 3 days of rest between workouts.

Canuck

So far you've had some good advice, I'd say keep it hard but just enough to sustain gains.
tounge.gif

I have read about this before, something called over reaching, pushing the envelope but always staying just shy of total failure, nutrition alos plays a big part.

You should do fine, I have tried this before and did not do too bad, get real hard from the 5's onward and you should see some results!

Back