Results so far do not match expectations + training history

But anyway, here is my piece. Basically, it is going to be nearly impossible to keep up the same amount of total reps as the weight goes up. You can do 2-3 sets in the 15s, but if you try to do 45 total reps per exercise in the 5s, not only will you be in the gym for 2 hours or more (remember that over an hour in the gym increases cortisol...) but you will be severely overtraining and will probably end up getting sick as your immune system will just be totally trashed. In general for most trainees, simply keeping the same number of sets will be sufficient. So 2x15 in the 15s, 2x10 in the 10s, etc. It is only as you grow and become more advanced that you will need to start manipulating volume beyond that.

Oh thats how it is, but as long as i can recover from the previous training and still stay motivated to train for the next workout, i can go ahead right? with volumes of 45 total reps per exercise?

Two examples:
- I know that my 8RM on the bench press is 170 lbs. I want to know what my 3RM on the bench press is. I look in the top table for 'Upper-body exercises' and search for 8 under 'Current'. The desired rep amount (the amount of reps I want to convert to) is, remember, 3. So I'll look for it. From the 8 Current I go to the right and from the 3 Desired I go down, until they cross each other. They cross each other at 1.16. So I need to multiply my 8RM with 1.16 in order to get my 3RM. 1.16 * 170 = 197.2 lbs. My 3RM is 197.2 lbs.

- I know that my 7RM on the squat is 210 lbs, but I want to know my 20RM. I use the same method as before: 7 at Current, 20 at desired, cross them, and they come together at 0.82. That is the number I want to multiply my 7RM (210 lbs) with. 210 * 0.82 = 172.2 lbs. Thus, my 20RM on the squat is 172.2 lbs.

If you know your 1RM for, say, bent over row is 180 lbs, you go to the 'Upper-body exercises' table. You want to know, for example, your 15RM for that exercise.
- 1 for Current
- 15 for Desired
- Cross them, they cross at 0.65
- 180 lbs * 0.65 = 117 lbs
- Your 15RM on the bent over row is 117 lbs

Thanks i got it now, but why do u use this table instead of this RM calculator provided? Like this one... I mean u can use whatever calculator or table, but why the table above? or is it personal prefences?

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/calculator

whats the difference? its rather similar?

Last edited:
Your right about protien intake. If you doubled from 100 to 200 g/day it would help tremendously. Ideally to gain muscle mass it's recommended to get at least 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. It's hard to wrap your head around it, but getting FAT is a good thing. I was always very concious of keeping my self lean year round and my strength/muscle mass pretty much never changed until I made a comittment to eating and eating big. If you want to grow you must be gaining weight/strength on a consistent basis. I was having trouble getting in enough protein/kcals so I started drinking a gallon of whole milk every day in addition to 3 to 4 solid meals to bulk up. Since then I have seen a significant increase in strength and size. Be patient eat big, get plenty of rest, follow HST and be consistent. YOU WILL GROW! Many of the best on this site have gained 30-50 lbs and had amazing success. It's easy to lose fat, but hard to gain muscle

MILK! IMO milk is extremely important. Think what it is designed for, babies that need the perfect balance of fat/protein/carbs to grow a the fastest rate that they will ever grow in their lifetime. Also milk has a decent amount of IGF-1. One 8 ounce glass of milk extra a day can up your igf-1 level by 10%. Milk it does a body(builder) good.

I hardly have trouble eating big. My appetite is never-ending. On busy days it's harder to get them in, though, but the evenings mostly make up for it. I really hope I will finally grow but am remaining very skeptical based on the results I've gotten thus far on my new HST cycle...

Try to keep eating ALL day. If you are down calories during the day and feeling hungry then your body might become catabolic for a few hours and start eating the muscle you are trying so hard to gain.

Back