Silly Question?

adpowah

So at the beginning of this year I moved from HST to DUP, coincidentally I have gotten sick 3 times since January. Each of the colds/flus/whatever have been different and I have known the people that had them before me. What is odd is that I have not ever gotten sick 3 times in such a short period of time. Typically I usually only get sick once a year at most. The overall volume versus HST and DUP isn't that different but with DUP I definitely hit higher intensities more regularly. What do you think, is it possible the increased intensity is wearing me down and making me more susceptible?

Possibly but I cannot imagine the change would make that much of a difference in intensity to make you more prone to illness. I got sick this year for the first time in at least 5 years. I think it was just a nasty year. Besides, DUP is not outside the principles of HST. If you changed to a daily HIT routine, I could see a correlation.

Sounds like you didn't shake it the first time. Fairly common for winter.

Intensity at 90% + is said to make you more vulnerable, but we're talking minimal %'s here. 1% is more vulnerable, sure, but is that what caused you to get sick? I doubt it.

Also, winter is a factor. Especially if you're training in a singlet and the gym re-circulates air.

Recent studies show that cold can make you sick like the old wives tale says. The thinking is that you always have various bacteria and viruses running around in your system but your immune system keeps it in check typically. Stress such as enduring prolonged cold can weaken your immune system, allowing one of these invaders to grow out of control and making you sick.

Recent studies show that cold can make you sick like the old wives tale says. The thinking is that you always have various bacteria and viruses running around in your system but your immune system keeps it in check typically. Stress such as enduring prolonged cold can weaken your immune system, allowing one of these invaders to grow out of control and making you sick.

100% concur with this theory, it's what I always thought happened as a kid anyway haha.

Four good places to go to to get sick fast:

Hospital or Doctor's office (GP)
School
Gymnasium
Airplane

In my experience... For a while there I was running high frequency and high volume with my training. It took a while, but in the end I crashed. IMHO, I feel that exercise stress can tax the body to a degree and leave you susceptible to "things"going around. Do I have any medical research to back this up, no... Please take it for what it is worth, but this is my opinion based on my experience.

High frequency and high volume are not compatible with a natural lifter except in short specialized routines for advanced lifters.

Back