Slapshotz' SST journal

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 08 2007,20:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great stuff Slapz. How are you holding on to the bar? Over-over or alternate grip? How long can you manage a static hold with 535? I'm using static holds for my grip and want to work up to that kind of load.</div>
Thanks, lol!

I use an alternate grip, left hand under, right hand over. I think I held 535 between 8 and 10 seconds, and the weird thing is that I felt my legs start to wobble b/4 the grip became an issue.

My grip used to be horrid, so what I did was buy a set of those hand grippers, and leave them in the car. Whenever I drive anywhere, I make sure to give them a few good squeezes, and I really think it's helped. On a long drive, it's not uncommon for me to work those things for 20 minutes at a clip.

Helps with road rage, too...now, I'm taking my frustration out on the gripper instead of the little old lady in front of me doing 30 in a 55 zone
laugh.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 07 2007,17:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">NOTES: Although what I'm doing is relatively untested as far as I can see in this forum, I think the concept of doing negatives/partials/static holds with heavier weights and working back downward to achieve strength goals is going to work pretty well.</div>

You're definitely right, I read about this in Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity although I think he was quoting Mel Siff or someone. Anyway research shows that performing a static contraction before conventional reps allows you to lift more - Dan will probably be able to name the studies involved!

I've also tried using single reps close to my 1rm followed by reps with a lighter weight and have been able to lift that weight more times than usual.

I think in both cases your CNS is 'expecting' and prepared to encounter a higher resistance that it does.

Have you ever tried deadlifting alight weight after doing deads with heavy weights.? I deadlifted 60kg 'by mistake' the other day, I was expecting it to be 120kg or something (not sure how I got that wrong!) so I got into position, took a deep breath and prepared to really go for it...and then stood up with the bar so fast I nearly fell over! Felt so strange, I was literally standing before I knew it and couldn't work out how that had happened - I guess that's how speed/explosive stuff works with powerlifting, I'd basically applied the force to lfit 120kg to 60kg.

Cheers

Rob

Cheers

Rob

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 10 2007,00:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you tried doing holds 500+ with a double overhand grip?</div>
no...lol, I wish!

I just recently broke the 500 plane with an overhand/underhand grip!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You're definitely right, I read about this in Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity although I think he was quoting Mel Siff or someone. Anyway research shows that performing a static contraction before conventional reps allows you to lift more - Dan will probably be able to name the studies involved!

I've also tried using single reps close to my 1rm followed by reps with a lighter weight and have been able to lift that weight more times than usual.

I think in both cases your CNS is 'expecting' and prepared to encounter a higher resistance that it does.</div>

That's what I'm hoping for, anyway....time will tell, I guess. In another forum I participate in, someone brought up that that's the way the old USSR p-lifters used to train. Who knows how factual that is, but if it's true, then there's a solid foundation that it may be a viable training method.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to judgement that the method is invalid if I end up not gaining much strength, though....don't forget, I'm cutting at the same time. I should just be happy if I don't get any weaker, but aiming for strength gains is keeping me more motivated on those cold, hungry nights!
laugh.gif

Leg Day

Barbbell Squats:

135 - 10
225 - 8
275 - 5
315 - 2
365 - static hold, @five 1/4 to 1/2 rep movements
315 - 1
315 - 1
315 - 1

Leg Extensions:

280 - 6
280 - 5

Stiff Legged Deads:

275 - 4 ***PB@275
245 - 5

***ab work

NOTES:  Overall, good workout.  I was pumped to be just standing there with 365 on my back.  I went for a couple 1/4 reps, a couple 1/2 reps, then just stood there for a few seconds feeling the poundage.  I figure by the time I move my way up to 400, I should be able to nail a 360 full-ranger.

Since I had my tunes back, I was in a much better mood, and figured I'd try 275 for stiff deads.  My previous high was 235, so that was way cool.  As I was walking out of the gym, I realized I forgot to do front squats.  Oh, well...next time for sure.

Slapz, like you I am cutting. I did ATG squats today and did this:

Warmups
5 x 135
5 x 225

Worksets
3 x 315
2 x 315
2 x 315
2 x 315
2 x 315

Extra work for fun (and a good pump)!
5 x 275
5 x 275

Quite similar to what you did. When I was bulking I could do 3 x 5 with 315 so the cut has really effected my rep count with the same load. The first few reps feel fine and then I hit a wall. Do you find this?

Clustering allows me to get a good 10 reps or so. Then I like to add in some extra work with a lighter load just to get that metabolic pumped feeling.

As we are doing similar loads for back squats what would you normally work up to for front squats? I want to start making them a regular part of my leg training.

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 10 2007,00:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you tried doing holds 500+ with a double overhand grip?</div>
WOW, I just had a 'profound revelation' of my own!
If it's true that reps are better than isometrics...then the method of doing static holds could be inferior to using a slightly lighter weight and allowing the fingers to uncurl a little, and squeezing the grip shut again, creating a rep.

Maybe I'm on to something; maybe not.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 10 2007,18:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Leg Day

Stiff Legged Deads:

275 - 4 ***PB@275
245 - 5</div>
Congrats on the PB!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Slapz, Quite similar to what you did. When I was bulking I could do 3 x 5 with 315 so the cut has really effected my rep count with the same load. The first few reps feel fine and then I hit a wall. Do you find this?</div>

Hey, lol. Yeah, I feel that, myself...especially since I'm taking in so few carbs. That's why I'm trying to do the old Jedi Mind Trick on my CNS by always striving to go heavier, even if it's just a negative/static/partial. It slows the decline, I think, but won't stop it completely. How long have you been cutting?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Clustering allows me to get a good 10 reps or so. Then I like to add in some extra work with a lighter load just to get that metabolic pumped feeling.</div>

That's always a good idea. I try to do that myself, depending on energy levels. If my ME lifts leave me totally drained, I don't do them. With all this strength training, that's one thing I really miss....the pump!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As we are doing similar loads for back squats what would you normally work up to for front squats? I want to start making them a regular part of my leg training.</div>

Actually, I've never done front squats! Liege suggested I add them, and I just plum forgot yesterday when I did legs. I have no idea what my load will be for them. I can't imagine being nearly as strong as back squats. Do you know what percentage your front squats are as compared to back squats? I can use that as a guide, at least.

Slapz, I'm in the same boat as you. Never done them for long enough to find out what I can manage. My guess is that, once I have learnt to do them without choking to death, I'll be able to manage around 3/4 of my back squat. It is just a guess though. Might be miles out. However, I see Oly lifters lifting massive amounts this way so perhaps it's possible to work up to an even higher percentage than that. I'll read your log with interest.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 12 2007,03:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Slapz, I'm in the same boat as you. Never done them for long enough to find out what I can manage. My guess is that, once I have learnt to do them without choking to death, I'll be able to manage around 3/4 of my back squat. It is just a guess though. Might be miles out. However, I see Oly lifters lifting massive amounts this way so perhaps it's possible to work up to an even higher percentage than that. I'll read your log with interest.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Sounds good, lol. I'm still mad at myself for forgetting to do them last time!
mad.gif

CHEST DAY

Flat bench:

135 - 10
185 - 8
225 - 6
275 - 1
315 - Negative (1)
325 - Negative (1)
225 - 6
225 - 3

Weighted Dips:

BW+135 - 2 ***PB@135 - GOAL REACHED!!
BW+115 - 4
BW+90 - 6

NOTES:  Don't know why I tried for my goal on dips today, I just knew it was going to happen.  It's just one of those rare days that you get every so often, I guess.
smile.gif

Benching felt really good, too.  Looking up and seeing 325, even if I knew it was only going to be a negative, was inspiring.  By the time I'm doing 350 for a negative rep, I should be able to get 300 for a full-ranger.  Time will tell, though.  At the very least, I'm keeping my CNS on the edge.

Cool PB!

How do you do your neg's for flat bench? Do you just have a single guy as a spotter? Why just the one rep? I suppose, so it's still possible to lift the bar back to rerack?

<div>
(Lol @ Apr. 13 2007,10:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cool PB!

How do you do your neg's for flat bench? Do you just have a single guy as a spotter? Why just the one rep?  I suppose, so it's still possible to lift the bar back to rerack?</div>
Tks, lol.

For neg's, I use a power rack, lower as slowly as possible, then re-hoist it up. Not the most practical method, I know, but at least I can trust the spotter
smile.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr. 13 2007,10:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">CHEST DAY
Weighted Dips:

BW+135 - 2 ***PB@135 - GOAL REACHED!!
BW+115 - 4
BW+90 - 6</div>
Congrats on the PR! And on a cut no less. You're a beast on dips, my best is 125x5.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Congrats on the PR! And on a cut no less. You're a beast on dips, my best is 125x5.</div>

tks, liege. Heck, if you did BW+125, you might as well go for the whole third wheel....you're so close! I'm sure you'd probably get 3,4 reps.

I'm going to go against my own advice and lift two days in a row. I'm dyin' to try those hammer chins. Plus, I ate a cheeseburger last night, so I ought to do some extra work, eh?
smile.gif

I don´t know, 2 days in a row. I wouldnt recommend that, but since you had that cheeseburger it should work.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Sniggel @ Apr. 14 2007,10:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don´t know, 2 days in a row. I wouldnt recommend that, but since you had that cheeseburger it should work.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Too late...lol

BACK DAY

Neutral Grip Pullups:

BW - 10
BW+45 - 8
BW+70 - 6
BW+90 - 5 ***PB for reps (4 previous)
BW+45 - 8
BW+45 - 8

Good mornings:

95 - 15
135 - 15
185 - 10
225 - 8
225 - 8

Barbbell Curls:
95 - 2
115 - 2
135 - 1
145 - 1 ***PB@145

Alternating Dumbbell Curls:

50s - 6 ***PB w/50s
50s - 6

NOTES:  First time in probably 4 months that I lifted weights two days in a row.  I felt major guilt with that cheeseburger, I guess!

LOVE the hammer chins.  That's not to say I'll never do traditional chins again, but you can definitely feel it in the lats....as everyone also said, it's much easier on the wrists &amp; elbows.

My form wasn't the greatest on curls @145, but I managed to hoist it up.  I'd like to be able to get to the point where I can curl 135 for reps, so that means I'll have to do singles probably up to 160.  That's gonna be slow goin', for sure, but worth it.  

Was totally stoked to curl with 50s.

The new secret HST BB supplement: cheeseburgers. Shhhhh...don't tell anybody!

That is an awesome DB curl Slaps! Ya beat me! Somehow I'm sure you're hams and calves, lower back and head swing have something to do with that!!! Ha! I saw a kid at the gym a while back curling WAY over his abilities...he looked like someone who'd just hit his thumb with a hammer!

Back