Slapshotz' SST journal

Look at the PB's you've made the last couple of weeks, that should cheer you up
laugh.gif

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 24 2007,22:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Look at the PB's you've made the last couple of weeks, that should cheer you up  
laugh.gif
</div>
Thanks, Liege...it did
smile.gif

BACK DAY

Deadlifts:

135 - 8
225 - 5
315 - 3
405 - 1
455 - 1 **Equalled previous PR
smile.gif

365 - 5 reps Max Stim style

Hyperextensions:

BW+35 - 15
BW+35 - 15
BW+35 - 15

Barbbell curls:

135 - 4 reps Max Stim style

Dumbbell Curls:

50s - 7 ***PB for reps (previous 6)
50s - 6

NOTES:
Well, today I got my first taste of Max Stim, and I like it. Slowly but surely, I'm going to start incorporating more and more MS as the weeks go by. I figure I'll be using @75% of my 1-rep max, or more, depending on the exercise.

I was a bit down in the dumps over the last week or so. Between feeling burned out by going for maxes all the time, coupled with my wife &amp; kid being sick (which, of course, meant that I got it, too), I have slacked somewhat in the workout/cardio department. Oh, and did I mention work has been a real beeatch lately? Diet was still good, though.

I never make changes to my routines based on spur of the moment decisions, and after careful thought, I will completely transition to MS by the end of May. It's going to be a bit of a break mentally not to have to shoot for new weight PRs all the time, especially given my caloric deficit. I've ridden this train about as far as she can go, but there may be one or two more pots of gold hidden in the cargo bay b/4 I'm done.

Dunno if I cracked 7% yet. Just by looking, I figure I'm at about 8%, and I'm actually quite satisfied with that. If I don't go much lower, I won't fret too much.

Anyhoo, this last year of strength training has been the bomb, and I highly reccomend it as a cutting tool.

it's official...i'm in a slump. been fighting a nasty sinus thing for the last two weeks, and it finally hit for real last night; fever, chills, etc.

Couple that with crazy work schedule &amp; preparing to move in 3 weeks, and it's &quot;night night&quot; to lifting, at least for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a decent couple workouts next week
sad.gif

THE MAX STIM JOURNEY BEGINS!

CHEST

Machine Chest Press - #13 - 20 reps, MS

BACK

Weighted Chins - BW+45 - 20 reps, MS

CALVES

220 - 20 reps, MS

Notes: First day back, felt really good. Man, being sick sux a$$!!!!

So, I am now officially incorporating Max Stim into my routines. As I always seem to do, I'm not incorporating the MS program protocol exactly, but rather have developed my own hybrid version so that I can still train for new PRs when I feel I have it in the tank.

As has been the case for the better part of a year, my workouts tend to be instinctive, and I'm going to keep it that way. There will be a loose structure, of course, but I'll have plenty of wiggle room to customize things on a workout-by-workout basis depending on how I feel.

My max stim workouts will be broken down as follows...

-Chest / Back / Calves
-Legs / shoulders
-Biceps / triceps

I'll use the biceps / triceps days interchangeably with ME days for attempting new PRs in deads, squats, bench press, or whatever I feel like attempting a new PR for on that given day. This will be totally by feel. If my energy level is unusually good, I'll skip arm training and do a big movement.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 03 2007,20:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Would you mind posting this in the max-stim forum log too?   It is getting pretty quiet over there lately.  Just cut and paste.
max-stim log section</div>
Hey, sci...I think I'll wait a bit b/4 posting in another board, especially since I'm doing my own variation, and don't wanna offend any of the die-hards. If I'm still cranking away at this in another month or so, I'll expand my journal
smile.gif

SHOULDERS:

Barbbell Shrugs
225 - 5
315 - 5
405 - 5
495 - 5
405 - 17 Max Stim (gruelling!)

Dumbbell Presses
60s - 20 Max Stim

LEGS:

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
225 - 15 Max Stim (doubly greulling!)

Leg Extension
180 - 20 Max Stim

Notes: The MS workouts are much more cardiovascularly challenging than I thought they would be, and re-racking the 405 repeatedly on the shrugs was an all out assault on my hands &amp; forearms.

I'm not quite feeling the enthusiasm for this particular style as I was for my pure strength routine, tho...we'll see how it plays out over the coming weeks.

ARM DAY

Triceps:

Barbbell Close Grip Bench Press
185 - 20 (Max Stim)

Biceps:

Dumbbell Incline Curls
40s - 20 (Max Stim)

NOTES: Boy, is there anything so cheesy &amp; juvenile as a workout for arms only? You'd think after all this time, I would know better!
laugh.gif

Truth be told, though, it was kinda fun pumping up the old guns. Next time around, though, I'll use this day to do an ME for a big lift.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 07 2007,17:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Boy, is there anything so cheesy &amp; juvenile as a workout for arms only?</div>
Yes.
biggrin.gif

Doing &quot;core&quot; work on an exercise ball and doing ab's in the only squat rack in the place. I just can't get over those PT's teaching people to bench and OH press on a ball.

<div>
(liegelord @ May 07 2007,23:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Slapshotz @ May 07 2007,17:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Boy, is there anything so cheesy &amp; juvenile as a workout for arms only?</div>
Yes.
biggrin.gif

Doing &quot;core&quot; work on an exercise ball and doing ab's in the only squat rack in the place.  I just can't get over those PT's teaching people to bench and OH press on a ball.</div>
lol...yeah, ab work in the squat rack is the ultimate in poser lifting....i guess my arm iso day pales by comparison
tounge.gif

CHEST / BACK DAY

Machine Bench Press:
#14 - 20 (Max Stim)

Weighted Pullups:
BW+50 - 20 (Max Stim)

Good Mornings:
135 - 20
185 - 10
225 - 6

NOTES: Overall, a good workout. MS is starting to grow on me, after all. Will it work as well as my all-out strength blitz? Who knows, but it was definitely intense today.

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 05 2007,12:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm not quite feeling the enthusiasm for this particular style as I was for my pure strength routine, tho...we'll see how it plays out over the coming weeks.</div>
i like your attitude and approach towards training. when you decide/plan to try something you give it decent effort and amount of time for an honest evaluation.

ive tried max-stim for a few indiv exer. but never an entire routine yet. to be honest some exer. (max-stim style) just didnt do it for me while others were an immediate fit but regardless of which exer. it was i stuck with it for an entire cycle. how else would you really know if it was effective.

these days it just seems so many folks drop whole programs, exercises, philosophies, etc as soon as things get tough, they have a bad day, they read something new etc. etc.

anyway, good luck with your plans. ive enjoyed reading your posts.

Bluejacket wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i like your attitude and approach towards training. when you decide/plan to try something you give it decent effort and amount of time for an honest evaluation.

ive tried max-stim for a few indiv exer. but never an entire routine yet. to be honest some exer. (max-stim style) just didnt do it for me while others were an immediate fit but regardless of which exer. it was i stuck with it for an entire cycle. how else would you really know if it was effective.</div>

Hey, thanks, Blue. I think one of the biggest mistakes made in bb'g is jumping around too quickly from routine to routine. I have to say, though, that those on the HST site, even though many of them are not doing HST, tend to stick with their routines for months, if not years.

The bottom line is that we all must find ways of getting stronger. It's no secret that if you're bench pressing the same poundages now that you were a year ago, you're not going to be any bigger....and clearly that kind of progress is unacceptable when you're a pure strength trainer.

Bluejacket wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">anyway, good luck with your plans. ive enjoyed reading your posts.</div>

Thanks, Blue...and glad I could provide decent reading material!
laugh.gif

ARM DAY (couldn't help myself)

Triceps:

Weighted Dips - BW+70 - 20 (Max Stim)

Biceps:

Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls - 45s - 20 (Max Stim)

***plus abs

NOTES: Maybe it's the fact that spring is in the air....but I am totally on an upper body kick, lately. I was supposed to do legs today, but nixed it at the last minute. On Monday, I'll do ME deadlifts to make up for it. Today, I just wanted to have a little fun and get a good pump going b/4 spending the day at the shore...no harm in that, right? After all, if you can't look good on the beach, what's the frigging point?

<div>
(liegelord @ May 13 2007,13:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How much are you going to pull on Monday?</div>
hmmm...that's a good question. Ideally, I'd like to do 465 and reach my goal, but that's gonna be tough. A lot is going to depend on my energy levels at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon....plus, I have a nagging upper buttock twinge that's been lurking for the last month.

Maybe I'll watch Rocky IV beforehand for motivation
laugh.gif

BACK DAY:

Deadlifts:

135 - 5
225 - 5
275 - 2
315 - 2
375 - 2
405 - 2
445 - 1
315 - 7 (Continuous motion)

Mid Back Pulley Rows:

190 - 20 (Max Stim)

***plus preventative rotator work

NOTES: Definitely pleased with today's effort. 445 went up smooth, but I didn't try for 465 because of that little nagging twinge over my butt cheek. It's probably nothing serious, but I don't want to chance it. There will be other days. It certainly felt good to do deads again. Next ME day, I'll have to do squats.

It felt like ages since I did a movement that focuses entirely on the mid back, so I did some pulley rows, MS style. Felt really good.

Been thinking about my cut, and I really feel like I'm just about done. All that's left now is to see what the final numbers are, which will be on the 29th. My guess is, I'm right around 8% BF. I may even be less than 160 in terms of body weight, which would be pretty scary. I don't wanna drop down much farther.

<div>
(liegelord @ May 15 2007,02:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">445 at your weight during a cut is still a great pull.</div>
Thanks, liege! I still think 465 is in my future, but probably not until I'm back to total maintenance.

Quadancer wrote:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When he can see over the plates... </div>

I can't see over the plates. I need a stepping stool, remember?
laugh.gif

Back