Still doing arm isolations?

Also one must take into consideration external activities. I've not worked calves in years because of my skate dancing every week...but haven't been much since getting married and just noticed lately I need to get back skating or start doing calves...I'm LOSING them.
BTW, my arms are the reverse of yours...big tri's lowbelly bi's.

Just dropped by to give my thought on the last few comments regarding individual differences that may necessitate using isos for certain bodyparts more than others...

Yep. After learning what you need about proper nutrition and exercise, it still boils down to managing your own training.

You really have to pay close attention to how your body responds to different things, the choice of exercises not being the least of them.

yep its each to their own,i for one couldnt imagine training and missing out arms(or other iso's)

however the movements i use are basic,keep it simple and effective.at the end of a workout i usually blitz my arms by supersetting.

It shows, if that's you in the new avatar...you look like me, but without the gut.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Aug. 05 2006,17:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It shows, if that's you in the new avatar...you look like me, but without the gut.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
yeah i read your other thread and thought id try uploading a recent pic of myself  
biggrin.gif
,at one time you could only load url's i think. pity about the size 125x125 or something would be better!

I agree with all the comments about every individual's situation being different and therefore some people may need to bring up certain bodyparts etc etc.

What is interesting is to discuss whether isolations are always or evern sometimes the solution - for example switching to underhand grip chins may be the change that brings up someone's biceps instead of curls.

I also think most people are coming from a standpoint of already doing isolations for arms . For example my biceps are rubbish but it doesn't follow that I necessarily need to add bicep curls to my routine to bring them up - I've been doing curls for 8 years!

So to a certain extent everyone has to experiment to see what works for them but similarly there are generalities that can be agreed on (such as frequent whole body training, increasing load etc) and discussions like this contribute towards that.

Cheers

Rob

also to consider that when you find the Holy Grail, it will plateau on you sooner or later and you'll have to change again to something else, or switch back to what you were doing before.

I isolate bis and tris on 15s to help the tendons, ligaments and nerves. Especially my triceps at the elbow, needs to sync up more gradually.

BG

where abouts in your hst programs do you add arms??... at the end after all the compounds or after the exercise that uses that muscle group, for example tri pushdown after doing chest like bench and dips?

I add them at the very end of the workout. Don't want to burn out the arms before I get to do rows, deads or bench, right?

<div>
(Captain Crunch @ Aug. 08 2005,09:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

For this cycle I am alternating two full body routines:

Day 1:

Squats
Incline DB Bench
Chins
Side and Bent Laterals
Shrugs

Day 2:

Deadlift
Dips
Bent Row
Flies
Shoulder Press

I find that doing the chins really hits the bi's and leaves me with nothing left to do isolations anyway. Especially when in the 5's and post 5's. All the pressing hits the tri's enough for great growth as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens after this cycle. If nothing else I'm sure my tendons and joints will appreciate the break.

Mike</div>
Sorry off topic but that looks like doable routine (for myself as I only can get 2 days in) what do your reps and sets look like???

I think that's a great routine, if you like laterals. But for me, if I could only do two days a week, I'd want to really hit every muscle twice in that week. There would be a few exersizes I'd want to add in to those, but I've been doing this a while.

You must be doing close grip chins if they're hitting your bi's like that. Good for you.

I forgot how to do curls
cool.gif

Close grip supinated pull downs have been most effective for me.

They always hurt my wrists, which are problematic anyway. Yesterday I had another idea...and I got a piece of metal to wrap around my chinup bar with holes drilled into the ends (about 7&quot; long, flat) and putting a spring clip into that, I hooked on my rotating &quot;W&quot; bar. Now I can do them with the hands very close, but fists are in line with my forearms, and no wrist pain. Really hits the bi's like a concentration curl.

I'll be posting a pic of it and my new homemade T-Bar row machine tonight.

I guess I forgot to post it. Here it is, with the &quot;W&quot; bar hanging downwards...with it upright, your fists are inline with your forearms.

I changed my mind from my previous post in this thread....arm isolations rock!

Today I just posted some awesome results at the max-stim forum:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It has been only two weeks since starting my 4th cycle. I added DB curls and DB triceps pullovers...and already, in two weeks I have added 1/4&quot; to my arms. They now measure 15.5&quot;!
It looks as if my goal to get 16&quot;+ arms this cycle will be very likely! My goal to reach 210 lb.s without getting fat however seems unlikely (still only 193 right now)...but I like to aim high!

I am religiously taking whey protein and creatine this cycle and since it will go for a full 20 weeks, I am hoping for awesome results. </div>

Doing the 5x5 Madcow lately, I've been doing arms only once a week with just an occasional set of chins thrown in. They've actually grown a bit while on this core mass program; something I didnt think they would. Almost back to 17&quot; now. But I added some fat too with this bulk.
If it's working for me, it should work even better for you younger guys.

Back